Who's your favorite black/African author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Nama Winnie
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nama-winnie.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Re: Who's your favorite black/African author?

Post by Nama Winnie »

Munachimso_Nwaogazie wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 17:17 Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I like her because of Americanah. Great book!
I love how she is unapologetic about feminism. Even if she was not a great writer, u would still love the person she is.
Nama Winnie

Post by Nama Winnie »

Samchege wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 10:58 As an African American myself, I love Sam Chege. Because of his Book "Life Is God’s Best Gift".
This book is all about African wisdom. He gathered around 365 proverbs in his book from all African countries.

He Say, "Africa is the birthplace of the human race, once great civilizations, and a place where knowledge, art, music, democracy, culture, trade, agriculture and wisdom first flourished. Her ancient crypts are rich with proverbs, enduring life lessons and pearls of wisdom that have universal application. But they are not well known. "
A friend suggested me his book, I bought it and really felt proud being an African American after reading the Book.
Is that your book? What are the chances of you sharing both names with your favorite writer
Nama Winnie

Post by Nama Winnie »

chikara312 wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 18:33
Joe Hadithi wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 20:36 Ngugi Wa Thiong'o. Especially loved The River Between
I also enjoy Nguni Wa Thiongo’s works. Have you read Petals of Blood or The Wizard of the Crow? They’re both fantastic.
I love his books. River Between was compulsory literature when I was in high school
Nama Winnie

Post by Nama Winnie »

Ayodave wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 22:51 Professor Sole Soyinka that's not because of his feat( Nobel laureate )but because it is deserving-He writes in like manner with George Orwell,Exposing the ills of African leaders and still making African cultural heritage dynamic even during the racism years of 1960-70's. His use of Imagery and concise literary techniques is worthwhile.
This is the first I gave had of him. I love hiw George Orwell captures evils and inadequacies in society. Any author compared to him, I would love their work.

Please recommend some of Sole's favorite reads?
Nama Winnie

Post by Nama Winnie »

cianarae wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 15:08 Roxane Gay is my favorite! Her works about feminism are very helpful to me as a white person trying to not suck so much. I also recently read her anthology of short stories Difficult Women and it was beautiful.

I'm grateful to have been introduced to Roxane Gay in one of my college classes.
Oh My!!! Difficult Women should be the book of the year.

Also, how did you draw parallels between feminism and being white?
Nama Winnie

Post by Nama Winnie »

4cynthia72 wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 05:21 I like Okot p' Bitek, I love his writings.
Which books are your favorite by him?
Nama Winnie

Post by Nama Winnie »

Cher432 wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 20:23 I can't choose between Binyavanga Wainaina and Okot p'Bitek. :eusa-think:
I loved Binyavanga, rest his soul. He experienced so much prejudice from Africans. Isn't it sad how inconsiderate we can be when dismissing "White ways"?
TasiWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasiwin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by TasiWin »

I love Chimamanda, Ngugi wa Thiong'I and Chinua Achebe. I also went through so many pacesetters a few years back and go introducesgo so many awesome African writers
Audrey_Scarlett
Currently Reading: Shout
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-audrey-scarlett.html
Latest Review: 2612 Cherryhill Lane by Glenn Vo
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Audrey_Scarlett »

One author that I really enjoy is Nicola Yoon and it's simply for the fact that I read Everything, Everything before quarantine and now I can say that I now understand what Maddie was going through.
Nduthu43
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nduthu43.html
Latest Review: Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Post by Nduthu43 »

I agree with @Cate Mbevi . Chinua Achebe is a great African writer.
shirleym89
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirleym89.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by shirleym89 »

Well I have two, Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie and Tsitsi Dangarembga.
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by _Bokeh »

So far, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I would have to say Zora Neale Hurston but, I should also add that my judgement is limited. I know more "writing" by African rap artists than I know writing by African writers. Everyone notices skin color in a picture and it's sometimes hard to see skin color in a piece of literature. For good or bad, such is the way many minds work. Literature has been a Caucasian thing and often associated only with the upper class or clergy or inventors and or even Europeans and Greeks. Not a lot of non-white folks seem to write. A 100 years ago and even today, many of the more well-known writers are also male. So, having only read what was required in high school and college, mostly poems and The Color Purple and a few other things on my own, I would say Zora Neale Hurston for her novel Their Eyes Were Watching God. The theme of a misplaced or unplaced individual due to social distinctions is not a new theme. This book may have well been written thousands of years ago and would still ring true. I think she does a nice job with this theme. It for me is interesting because of the language used and she does a very good job, I think, showing the reader the issues that develop as a result of distinctions, whether they be social (her seeming inability to develop close friendships), or racial (her inability to fit into being either black or white, or related to social classes (the mayors wife). It's as if not fitting in became her comfort zone, her pseudo birth-order status which one could argue, overrides or replaces her role in the grand scheme of things. It's not her fault: and that is sad and that is unfair.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

It has to be Maya Angelou and Zakes Mda for me. I was introduced to Maya during my primary schooling years, and I never looked back. My love for poetry was ignited by her. I learned of Zakes Mda during my varsity level years and got so hooked I neglected varsity work :lol:
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie!!!