Where do you think authors get their inspiration?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Re: Where do you think authors get their inspiration?

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

I usually judge authors based on the content of their books. Therefore, I say that they get their inspiration in writing their book from their life experiences and dreams. That's it. Who agrees with me?
mercasa
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odek.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by mercasa »

I think it depends with the author's some get the from daily life, experiences, mythology, imaginations and e.t.c
Some may even get an idea from seeing a simple leaf fall.
Jonté Joy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jont-joy.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Jonté Joy »

I'd like to think the mind of an author is different than the mind of a nonauthor, as with comedians, painters, and chefs. Were most see/experience regular everyday life events, an author sees a piece of a story. A comedian finds a joke. A chef makes a receipt out of ingredients many don't even imagine putting together. I believe for an author, as a song note or a car driving by and as it kicks up leaves, that immediately plays out in their head and becomes part of a story that they need to transcribe. I just think author's minds need to have a different level of creativity in order for them to put the stories together that they do.
Junior Gesuka 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Junior Gesuka 1 »

Authors Get Their Ideas Everywhere,to a non-writer, it must seem like a perfectly logical question, but for many writers it’s a difficult question to answer. Mainly because we don’t know where to begin.

Authors get their ideas everywhere.
Newspapers, TV, movies, other books, overheard conversations, dreams, nightmares, people we’ve met, loved, hated, been married to.And sometimes we have no idea how we got an idea!

How To Get Ideas For Writing
In his book Telling Lies for Fun & Profit , author Lawrence Block recounts a funny story, an author friend told questioners that there was a magazine published twice a month called  The Ideas Book, or something similar.

‘It’s loaded with excellent plot ideas,’ he said.

‘I have a subscription, of course, and as soon as I get my copy I write in and select half a dozen ideas and get clearance on them.
No other subscriber will go ahead and write them. Then I just work up stories around those ideas.’
Quite a few aspiring authors believed his story and wanted to subscribe to the magazine.
In an even crueller twist, he dashed their hopes by telling them they weren’t eligible, as they had to be a professional writer and have a dozen sales to their name.
Cherrie Rosaldo
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Favorite Book: David's Sling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrie-rosaldo.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Cherrie Rosaldo »

I think, based on the book that I read here, the very inspiration comes from their very own life. For example, Andrew Ceroni is a retired special agent. He wrote about special agent, espionage etc. Many authors do the same. I am as well.
Jay_shon03
Favorite Book: Butterfly Awakens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-shon03.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jay_shon03 »

This is one question I ponder once in a while, especially when the author amuses me.

I think some get their inspiration from life experiences, some from imagination, others from research.
Maria Diaz Peinado
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Maria Diaz Peinado »

I once saw in a video that singers get their inspiration from movies, books, series, and things in life, even from other songs, I think authors can get inspiration in the same way, from everything that surrounds them
AMARA UJU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amara-uju.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AMARA UJU »

I think that inspiration can be drawn from anything. The main issue comes with how an author wants to present it to us the readers. Now that I have gotten a chance to read a book after a long time, I think that the way a person presents the ideas also matters. A story must have the ability of interesting and captivating a reader for it to be called a good story.
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

I believe it comes over time and from a variety of sources! Most of the ideas in our minds are actually drawn from past experiences and manifest themselves as a combination of information that we've already experienced. Our brains find weird ways to create new ideas based off of ones that already exist :)
Sonia_Gonzalez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

I guess it depends on the author and the type of book they write, but I would imagine most authors get their inspiration from life, everyday things
Kaylyn_Marie
Currently Reading: The Eater of Gods
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-marie.html
Latest Review: H.O.E Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kaylyn_Marie »

For some reason, whenever I think about writing inspiration, my mind immediately goes to dreams. I feel like some of the concepts come from dreams or nightmares and are reimagined into novels. I know I personally have some whacky dreams and some of the themes would make fantastic plot lines.
~The Tatted Reader :reading-3:
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

Inspiration comes through small or big experiences one face in life. Obviously everyone faces struggles, whether physical or mental. But a writer uses them for their own thought process and creating something extraordinary. Inspiration, in my opinion comes from little experiences and turning them into something big and thoughtful.
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

I suppose they pile their ideas and compile them.

John Bunyan described his writing of The Pilgrim's Progress: Sill as I pulled, it came. And C.S. Lewis said, "I doubt if we shall ever know more of the process called 'inspiration' than those two monosyllables tell us."
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 217
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: Band in the Wind by William John Rostron
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 53%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

When reading a sci-fi fantasy book with dragons, magicians, monsters, vampires, etc., I often wonder how the authors develop this stuff. It often boggles my mind with all of the things that are going on in the book. I have noticed that there are more sci-fi male authors than female ones. Maybe it's the difference in how we play as children. The boys are playing with dinosaurs and dragons, while the girls are playing with dolls and easy bake ovens. I find it interesting.
seddiki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by seddiki »

I think from my perspective without life and day experiences.

Return to “Discuss Authors”