Do you have a preference between male and female authors?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Shirayuki Hime
Favorite Book: Tiger's Curse
Currently Reading: Endless Water, Starless Sky
Bookshelf Size: 36

Re: Do you have a preference between male and female authors?

Post by Shirayuki Hime »

I don't really prefer a certain gender of author, but each time I grabe a book that interest me, it's often a female author. So I only know a amount of male author such as Serge Brussolo which I really enjoy his work. In either way, I'm fine with both.
hedwigwhite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hedwigwhite.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by hedwigwhite »

No preference. I'm more interested in the actual content of the books, so it doesn't matter if it's by a male or female author. Though I find that I read more books by male authors than female authors. Maybe it's because I tend to read more Sci-Fi/Fantasy books? :geek2:
finebunchofnothing
Currently Reading: The Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-finebunchofnothing.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by finebunchofnothing »

The gender of the author doesn't make a difference for me, just as for most of the readers, I believe. When I'm looking for a book to read, I certainly want grab something (or, in contrast, decide not to take something) just because the author is a man or a woman. If the book is great, I'll love it, no matter who wrote it.
And our dreams will break the boundaries of our fear
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I think most of the books I've read were by female authors. I think women authors are relatively few. Is this true?
Amyra27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amyra27.html
Latest Review: Triplicity by J Mercer

Post by Amyra27 »

I don't have a problem with the gender of the author.
Latest Review: Triplicity by J Mercer
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

It does not matter to me as long as the book he/she writes is an informative piece. No sexicism here.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I don't have a preference as long as the characters are well-written. That being said, I've come across more poorly-written female characters by male authors than male characters by female authors.
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

True. A good story could come from anyone it doesn't matter if the author is girl or boy.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
papa2000
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by papa2000 »

I think most about the books I've perused were by female writers. I think ladies creators are moderately few. Is this valid?
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

I don't have a preference. I've read fantastic books by both genders (and nonbinary folks, too). Although, I will say that it's harder to find a male author who writes female characters believably - but I have seen plenty of male authors do this without problem. The industry is starting to change enough that I think most authors acknowledged this was a problem and are taking steps to correct it.

This conversation reminds me of when I was taking a mentor program in my senior year of high school. The year was 2008, and I was beyond ecstatic to have a real conversation with an accomplished author. My teacher set me up to talk to Erin Hart (who is a fantastic author, by the way). We had a long conversation about the difficulties of being a female writer (at least back then), as they were far fewer than male writers. What never left me was when she told me that, while female readers tend to buy books regardless of the author's gender, male readers are a lot less likely to buy a book from a female writer. I don't know if that still applies eleven years later, but as an aspiring author, that really stood out to me. It makes perfect sense why, for the longest time, female authors were pressured to use their initials rather than full names, so that potential buyers wouldn't know a woman wrote it.

I'm glad times are changing. I don't think this is nearly as much of an issue anymore, but I still come across the occasional man who avoids female authors - not often, maybe once every few years. I've never come across a woman who flat-out refused to read books written by men (though I'm sure they're out there). Weird world.
shadow_reviewer

Post by shadow_reviewer »

I don't have a preference - only that the story is interesting and well-told.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I have no preference for male or female authors though I have noticed that 65% of my favourite authors are male so I don't know what that says.
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

I've always loved knowing if the author is male or female because I like noticing the differences in perspective on so many things. The first time this ever came to my attention was as a child reading my mother's romance novels. It confused me that every woman always gasped, tripped, stumbled, and was pretty much incapable of walking and talking at the same time; she always needed a man - a strong, domineering, harsh man - to help her manage. It struck me as pathetic. These were written by women.

Then in later years, in later published books, I saw that when women wrote sex scenes, the man pretty much dedicated his whole being to making everything perfect in every way for the woman. Not just physically, but emotionally too. He was basically a slave to that one woman in all ways because he was turned on by every single thing about her at every second of the day.
Male authors often wrote (write) quick sex scenes where the guy would grab some willing stranger off the street that only wanted to give him sexual pleasure and leave. No names, no anything, barely worth a mention. Kind of like he grabbed a quick bite to eat, had sex with some girl who couldn't keep her hands off him, then attended to the important matter of his business meeting.

Black women authors write differently than white too, I noticed.

Political, societal, personal. I really enjoy the differences in men and women. And it's very interesting to see one sex trying to portray the other authentically. Some authors will tell of getting as much feedback as possible from the one they're trying to write about to make sure it's realistic.

The differences are fascinating and I'm often annoyed that some modern cultures (in America for one, where I live) are trying to blend all differences of sex and race into one bland, homogeneous bowl of mush.
hazelk

Post by hazelk »

My favorite writers are mainly female.
iann88
Currently Reading: Adrifr
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by iann88 »

Well, it just depends. I prefer female authors when it comes to love, romance, teen fiction, or young adult genres, while males when it comes to thrilling, sci fi, action, or mystery. But it really just depends. Some female authors like Jk Rowling is good at sci fi, while some male authors like John Green is good at writing love, and young adult stories.

Return to “Discuss Authors”