Do you have a preference between male and female authors?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
SurroundedByBooks
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surroundedbybooks.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Do you have a preference between male and female authors?

Post by SurroundedByBooks »

Nope. I don’t think it makes a difference at all.

Besides, pen names have been around for a long time so there’s no reason to believe the name on the front of a book anyway.
“You know, for kids!”
KaylaPete
Favorite Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
fav_author_id: 3139

Post by KaylaPete »

I don't have a conscious preference but I do find myself more drawn to male authors then female ones. I need to make a more concentrated effort to support more females!
sevillagirl18
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevillagirl18.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by sevillagirl18 »

I normally don't really have a preference of author gender, with the exception of the mystery genre. I'm not even sure that I've read a mystery novel written by a male author, but for whatever reason, I'll actually put a mystery book back if it's written by a male.

I think it's because I've had such good experiences reading authors like Mary Higgins Clark, that it's so difficult for me to imagine a male author matching her.
leareiler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leareiler.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by leareiler »

I honestly don't know. I have a good mix of both in my personal library, and sometimes I can enjoy male authored books or female authored books more than the other's. I would say that I enjoy, in general, female classic authors as opposed to male's because I feel like they are able to paint a more honest picture of female characters, or just characters in general. Not to say male authors are bad at depicting women (though there are those who do a bad job) I just enjoy the more rounded female characters I have come across in mainly female author's works.
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

I usually gravitate towards female authors, a lot of times when reading books written by male authors I find their female protagonists really unrelatable.
Jay_shon03
Favorite Book: Butterfly Awakens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-shon03.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jay_shon03 »

I enjoy reading a good book irrespective of the author's gender. The only problem is when the book is centered on gender issues and the author seem to be bias in his/her opinion. In that instance, I jettison the book.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

Sometimes yes. I feel like male authors don't usually get the women's perspective on a lot of things.
Maria Diaz Peinado
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Maria Diaz Peinado »

The truth is that despite not doing it on purpose, I tend to read more books written by women than by men, therefore I would say that you prefer female authors.
Ebets
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62

Post by Ebets »

I read books written by both male and female. If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose female.
Dani Strayer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani-strayer.html
Latest Review: St Augustine's Sin by Joe Baker

Post by Dani Strayer »

I find that I read a lot more books written by women compared to men. There's only 7 maybe 8/~25 books on my physical bookshelves. It depends on the genre and the plot. Personally, for YA or NA, I have a strong preference for women but dystopian I tend prefer male authors because there seems to be less unnecessary romantic subplots. The exception is the Hunger Games because the romantic subplot was used to prove a point that was done beautifully.
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

Now that I think about, almost all of my favourite books are by male authors but I hadn't really thought about it before and I don't think I could explain why. Mainly I read crime and historical fiction, so perhaps those genres tend to mainly be written by male authors?
Laura Ismajli
Currently Reading: Keys to Healthy Communication
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ismajli.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Laura Ismajli »

Patox wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 23:28 Yes, for romance I prefer female authors. Ladies weave nice stories of love and life. I sometimes get lost in their world.
Absolutely! I find romance written by female authors to be more deliberate, and more appealing to my personal tastes. It generally has more nuance, and more build-up that keeps you on the edge of your seat. To me, it feels that with books written by male authors, the romance and intimacy are a secondary thought, and never the main focus. Suffice to say, my romance section is overwhelmingly female. :)
Tamara Bengesai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

I generally don't mind which sex the author is but how the book is flowing. But at times I just want to support female authors. Team Feminists!
Quizlit4Stephen
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Quizlit4Stephen »

Probably 60/40 male/female authors but that's skewed as I read a lot of hard boiled detective and classic Japanese books that were predominantly written by men. I have no preference
I read a fantastic book a few year ago, The Signs Preceding of the World by Yuri Herrera, was sure the author was female, only found out the truth much later!
T J 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-j-6.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by T J 6 »

Gender discrimination happens in so many areas - seriously let’s leave it out of writing! Men and women are equally talented writers.

Return to “Discuss Authors”