Do you have a preference between male and female authors?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Do you have a preference between male and female authors?

Post by Artizi »

Not really, at least as long as the author in question is able to adequately convey both convincive female and male characters.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

I'm not sure if my answer here matters at all, but I'm one of those weird readers who sometimes don't even know if the authors are male or female, and as you mentioned, some female writers do use male pen-names. If I like the book too much, then I look up the author and learn who they are.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

SpiritPhoenix wrote: 21 May 2019, 10:00 I'm not sure if my answer here matters at all, but I'm one of those weird readers who sometimes don't even know if the authors are male or female, and as you mentioned, some female writers do use male pen-names. If I like the book too much, then I look up the author and learn who they are.
This is usually the case for me, too. Not to mention the number of times I've made an assumption on the author's gender due to their name being unisex, only to find out they're something else. I think it also depends on the area. (For example, I mostly had female Taylors at my school so I assumed most Taylors were female, but at the school two towns over, my friend mentioned most of their Taylors were male so she assumed most Taylors were male.)
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

No, that doesn't make you weird at all! That's the whole fun of it to me...well, unless I'm being weird too I suppose.
I like trying to decide by the writing if it seems to be a male or female, then go check for a bio with a picture. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes totally and completely surprised; in all cases, happy with the "sleuthing" aspect of it. It's also fascinating to see how writing has changed culturally over the decades/centuries. And also how it hasn't.
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

Lindsey Klaus wrote: 21 May 2019, 14:21
SpiritPhoenix wrote: 21 May 2019, 10:00 I'm not sure if my answer here matters at all, but I'm one of those weird readers who sometimes don't even know if the authors are male or female, and as you mentioned, some female writers do use male pen-names. If I like the book too much, then I look up the author and learn who they are.
This is usually the case for me, too. Not to mention the number of times I've made an assumption on the author's gender due to their name being unisex, only to find out they're something else. I think it also depends on the area. (For example, I mostly had female Taylors at my school so I assumed most Taylors were female, but at the school two towns over, my friend mentioned most of their Taylors were male so she assumed most Taylors were male.)
The area! Yes! I'm Indian and our names are very different from western names. I remember being surprised at finding out Sidney Sheldon is male and Enid Blyton is female.
A ship may be safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are meant for.
luz0928
Currently Reading: World Without End
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luz0928.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by luz0928 »

Gender doesn't matter to me. The genre it's what affects me more when I pick my next reading.
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

I rarely ever pay attention to the author specifically unless their work manages to impress me so much that I then hunt after their other works. I haven't experienced sex differences making a novel more or less entertaining for me. It entirely depends on the voice and mood of the work, or how well the characters are developed. I'm in it for the detail, not the author's identity.
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm
Iwafooy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Iwafooy »

In my opinion,

The brain differs between males & females as each has a certain way of thinking that specialize the gender tendencies.

For example, male writers tend to be more rational and intellectual, their own characteristic is based on dominance, and through writing they are more realistic regarding logics and emotionally stable.

Unlikely to female writers, their writings are based on descriptions and a lot of emotions and fantasy because females are sensitive and warm, their imagination is wider as well as feelings.

Thus, each choose which book is suitable to their type of taste either more description by females or more facts by males based on gender, and i would advice to choose the book by dividing into categories as leaving the choice of romantic,fantasy books by the female writers, and the logics, self improvement, studies by the male writers.
Jlprince26
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlprince26.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jlprince26 »

I don't honestly see why being Male or female is relevant to writing. Both men and woman can and do write great books. I don't see sex being an issue when it comes to the brains, imagination, and patience it takes to write a book. I've read great works of art from both, and will never consider not reading a book simply because you was wrote by a man or a woman.
- "Our children learn from us, teach them well, teach them to read, let them be free, and most importantly let them be children." Jamie Prince
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I find that I read more female authors than male authors but I don’t do it on purpose, I suppose. I think I’ve just found a few authors that I really like and I want to read everything they have written as of late.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I guess that I gravitate towards female authors more than I do male authors. However, I must say that I tend to always look for books by the few male authors that I know are really good. Interestingly enough they all write Christian themes or mystery.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I think gender does not make a difference in this case because what matters is imagination and the quality of writing, which is independent of gender.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I agree with you on that. In some cases, I do not know whether the author is male or female.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

For me personally, it depends on what I'm reading. I haven't read any political thrillers by a female author. Consequently, I "assume" that I prefer male authors. When it comes to romance novels, I'm not aware that I've read any male authors so, again, I "assume" I prefer female authors. When it comes to history books, I've read great books by both sexes, so I don't really care, as long as the book is well-written.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

My favorite authors have been a mix of male and female just like my favorite protagonists have been a mix. Although not every case is so (in fact, it's in the minority, and most of it is in older books from a different age,) I've encountered male authors who write their female characters in a way that makes me slightly uncomfortable, and I'm tired about reading about women who are conventionally beautiful (but they don't think it themselves!) who need a man to save them, or whose only trait/character is being a femme fatal. Because of this, when a book seems to fall into that category, I tend to be more wary of male authors for those specific books.

Return to “Discuss Authors”