Views on Jodi Picoult?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
annabear3
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Wild-Cheryl Strayed
Currently Reading: A Little F'd Up: Why feminism is not a dirty word
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabear3.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: Views on Jodi Picoult?

Post by annabear3 »

I really like the book she wrote with her daughter, Between the Lines and I really liked My Sisters Keeper. It made me weep.
tobeywilson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tobeywilson »

Her work falls a little flat for me. I get bored while reading it. I'm not saying she's awful, just not particularly impressive. My mom loves her books though, so there's that.
Believe_15
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: The Longest Ride -- Nicholas Sparks
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Believe_15 »

BookWorm15 wrote:
Fran wrote:Haven't read anything of hers but I did see My sister's keeper & thought it wasn't bad .. liked the ending
Okay well, the film 'My sister's keeper' is absolutely different to what happens in the book. The ending in the book is SO much better, I totally recommend it! And on the whole the book is well written.
completely agree!! The book is MUCH better than the movie!!
Bookworm0266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm0266.html
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano

Post by Bookworm0266 »

Stella wrote:You can tell that an author doesn't stand out to you when you've read all of her books and you can't remember what a single one of them was about. She's the kind of author whose books I read when I have nothing else to read. To me she's a jack of all trades but master of none. She can write crime, romance, mystery etc. but she doesn't seem to have a particular writing style. Most good authors have a 'style' that makes them unique. Picoult is like a writing powerhouse. She releases a new book every few months, which makes me question her motives behind writing (dollar signs me thinks).

I agree with you. She is a jack of all trades in that her writing is great for mainstream readers but not necessarily anything special. To me, she is one of the authors whose books are likely to be made into a movie. She really reminds me of Nicolas Sparks in a lot of her themes.
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

Jodi is one of my go to authors. I think she is a great writer. I fell in love with her style with My Sister's Keeper. I've read most of her work and I have never been disappointed. She isn't a light read. A lot of her themes are very heavy and cause you to question your morals and the way in which you would definitely with difficult situations. I know what to expect from Jodi Picoult and I haven't been disappointed. She actually has a new book coming out this year that I am patiently waiting for.
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
Bookworm0266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm0266.html

Post by Bookworm0266 »

slpeters2009 wrote:Second Chance was great---addressing the death penalty, spirituality and decisions, hence the title. Well-written. I have read summaries of her other books...they do not seem appealing...however I will not write her off as a terrible writer/author.

I haven't read Second Chance but maybe I might.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Not too fond of her myself. I don't enjoy how her books end. And she is very predictable.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
a-Prett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-prett.html

Post by a-Prett »

I love her writing. I have read all of her books. I'm really looking forward to her newest one to come out. I love that she tackles controversial topics. She captures my attentions and makes think about what I would do in those situations. I also enjoy her style of writing. I try to find authors similar in style as hers when reaching for a good thought provoking read.
laureng
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laureng.html

Post by laureng »

Generally, I like her books though a lot of the time I feel like I'm reading the same kind of story each time. She is really great at keeping you entertained in the story. Her writing style is also really simple, so its not fantastic writing, though its good enough for people to keep reading. She also does an incredible amount of research for her books which is always nice. The first one I read from her was The Pact, which was really good. I read another one of her books awhile back back, but I'm blanking on the title at the moment. My Sister's Keeper is one of her better ones.
apecka
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apecka.html

Post by apecka »

I like her books, I especially enjoy how she gives you an unexpected twist right at the end!
autumnmarie
Favorite Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-autumnmarie.html
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
fav_author_id: 2471

Post by autumnmarie »

I read a few books by her when I was in high school and I found them thought-provoking. Nowadays I believe I have a book or two of hers on my shelf waiting to be read but I have to be in a particular state to get fully immersed in her kind of novels.
"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book!" -Jane Austen Pride & Prejudice
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
Ktrenee56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrenee56.html

Post by Ktrenee56 »

I love her! Her books seem to be really thought out and interesting. They make me see a different side of the law and some things that I wouldn't think of. I started with my sisters keeper and moved on to the pact. Totally different books and characters but so interesting!
mebowers
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mebowers.html

Post by mebowers »

laureng wrote:Generally, I like her books though a lot of the time I feel like I'm reading the same kind of story each time. She is really great at keeping you entertained in the story. Her writing style is also really simple, so its not fantastic writing, though its good enough for people to keep reading. She also does an incredible amount of research for her books which is always nice. The first one I read from her was The Pact, which was really good. I read another one of her books awhile back back, but I'm blanking on the title at the moment. My Sister's Keeper is one of her better ones.

I completely agree with you. I have fallen in love with her ever since she made me cry during My sister's keeper, but as I continue on through her books, it seems to be the same story and the same ending. Personally, I love the writing style. I love how each character gets their "own say" through sections told in their point of view. By far, My Sister's Keeper and Handle with Care are my favorite!
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

Jodi Picoult is another of my guilty pleasure authors. Her books are extremely absorbing while you're reading them, but then at the end I always find myself a bit disappointed. And she has a habit (*minor spoilers ahead*) of making a moot point out of her stories. I'm thinking mostly of My Sister's Keeper and Handle with Care, where (in both cases) there is a character with a serious malady of some sort and the book centers on that issue and how it affects all of the characters in the book, and then there's some kind of resolution, but at the very end there is a major plot twist and I think this weakens instead of strengthen the stories. They can also get a bit repetitive, the only thing that seems to change are whether she's talking about kids with cancer, bullying and gun violence, mental illness, or dark, explosive secrets.

That said, I do enjoy them while I'm reading them, she has a way of ending each chapter with a cliffhanger. But once I close the book when I finish I feel a bit dissatisfied.
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
kalyever

Post by kalyever »

There are some books by Jodi Picoult that I get sucked into within the first few chapters, like House Rules and The Tenth Circle, but there have been more that I cannot get into which usually end up taking me weeks to finish. I think the themes she tries to portray are very interesting and many times need to be addressed, like in House Rules. I always try to get into her books, because she has so many that I think I would enjoy, but something blocks me every time I get through a few chapters.

Return to “Discuss Authors”