Are there any authors who you will never read again?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Are there any authors who you will never read again?

Post by Letora »

flaming_quills wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 07:31 I don't think I'll ever read E L James again or Stephanie Meyer for that reason. I enjoyed the Twilight series when I was younger but looking back not I realise I just liked it because everyone else liked it and not because the writing was impeccable or the story was good. As for 50 shades, I didn't really like it. I only read it because everyone else was reading it and I didn't want to miss out.
I'm right there with you on E L James. I couldn't even make it more than 50 pages into Fifty Shades of Grey. Kurt Vonnegut is another one I will never read again. I had to read two of his books in high school and they made no sense to me. And his humor is too crude.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I read a lot of classic authors at one stage in my life. I'm talking about the likes of Dickens, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Joyce, and so on. I don't plan to read any of these authors again (though never say never, I suppose). The books are generally interminably long, mostly downbeat and just not that enjoyable. There are so many good and interesting contemporary writers available to be read, that I question why I would now spend time on books that I don't actually enjoy.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

M Zee wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 11:42 Oh yeah. I have a couple of authors that I won't read due to their behavior outside their writing. I don't like to support people who treat others badly (well documented bad behavior) anyway. Someone can be meh writer and I would support their work over someone who writes great but isn't a good person.
Yes, I absolutely agree. Some very popular authors have turned me off by bad behavior, rude comments, and ignorant attitudes toward others.

One author who I really enjoyed reading for years has been cited for "behaving badly" online, so I can't bring myself to read her books anymore. :no-spoil:

It's a shame that brilliance and anti-social behavior often go hand in hand.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

Letora wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 16:49
flaming_quills wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 07:31 I don't think I'll ever read E L James again or Stephanie Meyer for that reason. I enjoyed the Twilight series when I was younger but looking back not I realise I just liked it because everyone else liked it and not because the writing was impeccable or the story was good. As for 50 shades, I didn't really like it. I only read it because everyone else was reading it and I didn't want to miss out.
I'm right there with you on E L James. I couldn't even make it more than 50 pages into Fifty Shades of Grey. Kurt Vonnegut is another one I will never read again. I had to read two of his books in high school and they made no sense to me. And his humor is too crude.
Oh, I couldn't possibly agree more! E L James' books are the equivalent of cheap fast food, and too many people seem to be into them. I don't want to judge other people's tastes, but I truly did give it a chance to see what the whole fuzz about it was, and I think it's one of the few times I just could not finish a whole book even if I tried.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

I swore never to read any more of E L James books after the Gray Trilogy, but guess what, I have just finished reading The Mister...
I think it is hard to completely black list an author.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

There is a certain author who's work I've loved since childhood, but I haven't been able to read ever since I saw their twitter feed. :shock: I guess I'm hesitant because I'm wondering if their clear political affiliation will leak through to their books.
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

I've read my share of bad, even terrible books but I wouldn't go as far as never reading anything else from a particular author. I haven't reached that level of resentment and I am thankful for that.
A ship may be safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are meant for.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I am afraid I don't agree with you, because I believe that l always learn from something in some ways.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I think this is an interesting question. I am choosing to mention only very famous authors in this post because that means I am not hurting anyone's career. This really is about my personal likes and dislikes when it comes to storytelling.
  • There are authors I have never read, and likely never will, because I have never heard of them.
  • There are authors I have never read, despite being very famous, because they write books in a genre I don't have an interest in. (For example, I don't read Stephen King or Clive Barker because I don't read horror. I also don't read Stephanie Meyer or EL James.)
  • There are authors I have never read, despite them writing in a genre I do read, because their story telling style is not one that works for me. (I don't read George R R Martin, because I don't like that pessimistic view of the world.)
  • There are authors I have read, and who I am very unlikely to read again, because their story telling style is not one that works for me. (I won't pick up another Joe Abercrombie book, even though I read the entire First Law Trilogy, because I don't like that pessimistic view of the world.)
  • There are authors I have tried to read, but have given up on, because there was something about their writing that bothered me. (This includes Robert Jordan because I hated his female characters.)
  • There are authors whose books I have read and enjoyed, whose books I will read again, but whose books I will not purchase, because I disagree with causes the author supports. (I won't buy a book by Orson Scott Card. But I will check one out from the library, or borrow a copy from a friend.)
  • There are authors whose books I was forced to read in school. For the books I did not like, I will likely never pick up a book by that author again. At the same time, most of those authors are dead and not writing anything new, so it's not a big deal. (Joseph Conrad, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Thomas Hardy all come to mind.)
Debbie_Sathya
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbie-sathya.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Debbie_Sathya »

I have read books of different genres, by different authors. There are a few, which made me realize that all bestsellers might not even meet basic writing or plot standards. EL James is one such author, whose works might be a bestseller, but as per literary standards, the writing style is quite amateur. Unfortunately, Preeti Shenoy also holds a position in that list of mine, though I have read only one book of hers.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

Gods yes! H.M. Irwing is definitely an author I will never read again. I endured the first novel in the Heartaches trilogy and will not willingly submit myself to any more.

For a more detailed explanation, here's my review: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=96833
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

At the risk of incurring wrath of some readers, I must say 'Chetan Bhagat'. I enjoyed couple of his early books like 'Five point someone' and '2 states', but he seems to have ceased to evolve as a writer and his stories just lack any novelty.
Giselle abg
Currently Reading: City of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giselle-abg.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Giselle abg »

I will never read any book of Machado de Assis again.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I actually have really lucked out in the book/author department. There has yet to be a book I have read that I absolutely hated. I was not a fan of the 50 Shades of Grey I guess, I never finished those books.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

Only one at this point in time. I just came to the conclusion that all of her work is heavily embedded in philosophy and she is very intent on making us philosophers, too. That does not entertain me.

Return to “Discuss Authors”