Any Tolstoy fans out there?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Mel Carriere
Bookshelf Size: 0

Any Tolstoy fans out there?

Post by Mel Carriere »

War and Peace and Anna Karenina are among my all time favorite books. Tolstoy knows what is going on in his character's heads better than anybody. What say you?
Pigs on the Wing

Post by Pigs on the Wing »

Yes, great writer for sure
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

He has pride of place on my shelves
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Vogin

Post by Vogin »

Too bad he kind of lost it right before he died and denounced most of his work. Even though his books are usually very thick, who'd complain about long books if they keep their greatness?
Fran

Post by Fran »

Vogin wrote:Too bad he kind of lost it right before he died and denounced most of his work. Even though his books are usually very thick, who'd complain about long books if they keep their greatness?
I remember watching The Last Station sometime ago and it gave a very sad picture of his last days ... rather awful and depressing really.
- My Home by Clive James
Vogin

Post by Vogin »

Fran wrote:
Vogin wrote:Too bad he kind of lost it right before he died and denounced most of his work. Even though his books are usually very thick, who'd complain about long books if they keep their greatness?
I remember watching The Last Station sometime ago and it gave a very sad picture of his last days ... rather awful and depressing really.
Oh yeah, I remember hearing this story on high school and made me wondering if I too will be caught by my own demons once I grow old...
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Mel Carriere wrote:War and Peace and Anna Karenina are among my all time favorite books. Tolstoy knows what is going on in his character's heads better than anybody. What say you?
I have read "War and Peace" twice and will go back again some day, it is one of my favourites. I have never read Anna Karenina, maybe I should read it before going back for another go at War and Peace. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Mel Carriere

Post by Mel Carriere »

Anna Karenina is as good as War and Peace. It has the best scene of an expecting father I have ever read. Is there a fine line between genius and insanity on which the great artists continually teeter?
Kayakalp

Post by Kayakalp »

hello everyone.
Fran

Post by Fran »

Anna Karenina is probably my all time favorite female character in literature ... a brilliant work that I find myself coming back to again and again.
- My Home by Clive James
Eric Tolevsky

Post by Eric Tolevsky »

War and Peace is probably my favorite book. I have a compilation book where he discuses theology. It is interesting to see how directly he applies his internal struggles to his characters. Very few writers deserve to listed in the same sentence imho.
anu_
Currently Reading: Idiot by Fyodor

Post by anu_ »

I absolutely adored 'War and Peace' despite its huge size. I think, it was at least 900 pages and for over a month, I was transported to Russia and Spain, in the company of Napoleon. I especially liked the recurring theme of war and peace, that Tolstoy maintained throughout the book.

I would love to read Anna Karanina someday. Any lead about its story or plot is welcome.
"Children were playing when Holston climbed to his death" Wool by Hug Howey
CashJames
Favorite Author: Leo Tolstoy
fav_author_id: 2780

Post by CashJames »

I've just finished 'Anna Karenina' and have ranked it among my favourites. Throughout the read I was impressed at how well Tolstoy wrote. I don't recall ever being so fond of an author's ability to play a film in my mind. I plan on reading 'War and Peace' after a few light reads.
"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking up at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
Nhocngamy

Post by Nhocngamy »

ok i think so
utopiadream

Post by utopiadream »

I have enjoyed his work ' The Kingdom of God is within you" and War & Peace

Return to “Discuss Authors”