Any Tolstoy fans out there?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4856

Re: Any Tolstoy fans out there?

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:I take it that you do not like "War and Peace" Maud.
Not a huge fan, no. My cousin is studying Russian and recently handed me a novel entitled "Turkish Gambit" by Russian author Boris Akunin. I just lurve the book cover, very 19th century art noveau, but I have not yet read it.

Boris Akunin is the pseudonym of Grigory Chkhartishvili who lives in Moscow. He has been compared to Gogol, Tolstoy, Chekov with a dash of Arthur Conan Doyle. His Erast Fandorin detective series, nine books so far, have sold over eighteen million copies in Russia. I may find his work more engaging than Tolstoy.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:
Gannon wrote:I take it that you do not like "War and Peace" Maud.
Not a huge fan, no. My cousin is studying Russian and recently handed me a novel entitled "Turkish Gambit" by Russian author Boris Akunin. I just lurve the book cover, very 19th century art noveau, but I have not yet read it.

Boris Akunin is the pseudonym of Grigory Chkhartishvili who lives in Moscow. He has been compared to Gogol, Tolstoy, Chekov with a dash of Arthur Conan Doyle. His Erast Fandorin detective series, nine books so far, have sold over eighteen million copies in Russia. I may find his work more engaging than Tolstoy.
Hey Maud, your copy of "Turkish Gambit" sounds great. His books sound very interesting as well. I may have to take a look at them. Please let me know what you think of Turkish Gambit when you have read it. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
themajorlives

Post by themajorlives »

Everyone is a Tolstoy fan, they just don't know it yet.

I am interested to know how mouseofcards thinks Dostoyevsky would have diverted the Russian Revolution, would he have becalmed the crowds with the hysterical ravings of his characters, or fed them with his drunkeness, when he struggled to feed himself? Also denouncing ones work when one is old and close to death seems to me less of a crime than mouseofcards thinks it is. As much as I love "Notes from the underground," I do not believe it holds the answers to all of life's questions.
d3i6amo7nds
Favorite Author: Cash Peters
Favorite Book: Force of Habit
fav_author_id: 4606

Post by d3i6amo7nds »

Yes I enjoyed his short stories too,especially The Death of Ivan Ilyich, such a brilliant insight into the mind of the protagonist.
siddi
Favorite Author: j k rowling
Favorite Book: gone with the wind
Currently Reading: vanity fair
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siddi.html
Latest Review: "Senate Proof" by Logan Snyder

Post by siddi »

i've only read tolstoy's War and Peace, yet, and it was pretty difficult for me with all the french phrasing and all. Had to read it twice to get full grasp of it, but i did enjoyed reading it. It's just i've a habit of reading real quick, which you just can't do with war and peace, so it was a kind of work too.
Latest Review: "Senate Proof" by Logan Snyder
primrose777
Favorite Author: Chaim Potok
Favorite Book: The Chosen
Currently Reading: The Light Between Oceans
fav_author_id: 4227

Post by primrose777 »

I have only read War and Peace, and loved it. I read it when I was quite young and remember feeling a great sense of achievment for not only finishing it but enjoying it. I would like to read Anna Karenina, on my list.
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. Zora Neale Hurston.
twilightchick792

Post by twilightchick792 »

I really enjoy his work

-- 11 Apr 2012, 13:10 --

I have been a fan for many years now
Amalama

Post by Amalama »

I am currently reading War and Peace, which, so far, hasn't grabbed me as many of his short stories have. I still love his beautiful reflections on human thought and behavior, but the french is dragging me down at the moment. It feels like work because of it. However, I am only just past Part 1, with much left, so I reserve the right to change my opinion.

The Kreutzer Sonata and The Death of Ivan Ilych were amazing, so filled with powerful observation and presented with a wit that made me smirk often, even with the dark subject matter. I appreciated Family Happiness and The Cossacks, as well.

Would I stick with War and Peace if I wasn't so convinced before I began it of Tolstoy's genius? I doubt it, but I am sure I won't be sorry.
aksser

Post by aksser »

Leo Tolstoy is very difficult to read. I am starting reading War And Peace two times, but not finished almost.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

aksser wrote:Leo Tolstoy is very difficult to read. I am starting reading War And Peace two times, but not finished almost.
Can't say I ever found him difficult to read ... I've read War & Peace three times & Anna Karenina at least as often. Anna Karenina is probably my all-time favourite literary classic.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Freyia
Currently Reading: Death in a White Tie

Post by Freyia »

Leo Tolstoy is difficult to read in Russian. In Russian we have aphorism is "phrase Tolstoy." This is phrases in 15-20 lines, like a Russian dolls "matryoshka". A few thoughts in one sentence. By the end of phrases you do not remember what was initially. Russian schoolchildren do not like Leo Tolstoy. They do not understand him. Maybe 15 years old is very early for these books.

But he is really a great Russian writer. "War and Peace" I read in my 11 years old. This is the great book. And i like Childhood, Boyhood, Youth.

Boris Akunin is a popular in Russia, and he is a talented writer but his can not be compared with Leo Tolstoy. Tolstoy is a classic, not a detective for easy read.
Fran

Post by Fran »

Freyia wrote:Leo Tolstoy is difficult to read in Russian. In Russian we have aphorism is "phrase Tolstoy." This is phrases in 15-20 lines, like a Russian dolls "matryoshka". A few thoughts in one sentence. By the end of phrases you do not remember what was initially. Russian schoolchildren do not like Leo Tolstoy. They do not understand him. Maybe 15 years old is very early for these books.

But he is really a great Russian writer. "War and Peace" I read in my 11 years old. This is the great book. And i like Childhood, Boyhood, Youth.

Boris Akunin is a popular in Russia, and he is a talented writer but his can not be compared with Leo Tolstoy. Tolstoy is a classic, not a detective for easy read.
War & Peace at 11 .... I am impressed. Have you read my all-time favourite book Anna Karenina?
I haven't heard of Boris Akunin but I will put him on my list & check if his books are translated to English.
- My Home by Clive James
Freyia
Currently Reading: Death in a White Tie

Post by Freyia »

I'm not read Anna Karenina so far. I'm so ashamed... But I planned to read this book in this summer. Now I'm reading in English more time than in Russian. This is difficult for me so far.

I was very loved "War and Peace" in 11 years old. On the other hand I was liked pages of love more pages of war. And I think Natasha Rostova is a foolish girl. She left Prince Andrew.
Fran

Post by Fran »

Freyia wrote:I'm not read Anna Karenina so far. I'm so ashamed... But I planned to read this book in this summer. Now I'm reading in English more time than in Russian. This is difficult for me so far.

I was very loved "War and Peace" in 11 years old. On the other hand I was liked pages of love more pages of war. And I think Natasha Rostova is a foolish girl. She left Prince Andrew.
You have a super read to look forward to in Anna Karenina .... I do hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Princess Mary was always my favourite in War & Peace, I admired her so much when her father was treating her so badly & she still loved and looked after him, Sonya I found annoying though. :lol:
- My Home by Clive James
primrose777
Favorite Author: Chaim Potok
Favorite Book: The Chosen
Currently Reading: The Light Between Oceans
fav_author_id: 4227

Post by primrose777 »

My Daughter gave me a copy of War and Peace for Mothers day. Will have to reread it as I read it originallly in my teens which is a few years ago. I have never read Anna Karenina.... is now on my TBR list.
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. Zora Neale Hurston.

Return to “Discuss Authors”