Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
ntoch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntoch.html
Latest Review: Ain’t Easy by Barbara Carter

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by ntoch »

Kurt Vonnegut! I love the way he describes the ups and downs of life in such a raw and profound way
Crisis_12444
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crisis-12444.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Crisis_12444 »

My favorite author is Haruki Murakami. He's writing is really what draws me into his book. It makes me feel as though I'm dreaming and I truly admire how he writes his characters and how they move on in there lives. My favorite book of his is Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and his year of pilgrimage.
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

mmlittleone wrote: 07 Dec 2006, 22:14 No one has mentioned my favorite author yet... Ernest Hemingway. He is awesome, such simple looking sentences but also a classic iceberg theme... so much of what he says is under the surface. For lighter reading, my favorite is Nick Sparks. :)
Ernest Hemingway all the way.
rtrudeau
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rtrudeau.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by rtrudeau »

My all-time favorite is John Steinbeck. The narrative sections in his books (the "short chapters") are evocative and timeless. My favorite of these is Chapter One of East of Eden.
The spring flowers in a wet year were unbelievable. The whole valley floor, and the foothills too, would be carpeted with lupins and poppies. Once a woman told me that colored flowers would seem more bright if you added a few white flowers to give the colors definition. Every petal of blue lupin is edged with white, so that a field of lupins is more blue than you can imagine. And mixed with these were splashes of California poppies. These too are of a burning color—not orange, not gold, but if pure gold were liquid and could raise a cream, that golden cream might be like the color of the poppies.

Steinbeck, John. East of Eden (p. 4). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
As a native Californian, those words will stick with me always. Whenever I see the first California poppies in spring, I think of that passage.
jennifereager
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jennifereager »

Favorite popular author: Stephen King, for sure. I think he'll be the 20th-21st century Dickens, called a hack in his day but then studied later.

Favorite classic author most people don't read/like: I really love Thomas Hardy. The Return of the Native and Tess of the D'Urbervilles are just wonderful stories.

Favorite female classic author: Louisa May Alcott, not just for Little Women but for her gothic potboilers too.

Favorite children's author: Beverly Cleary. She is just an amazingly insightful person and writer. She knows kids' minds like nobody's business and her books are just perfect.

Favorite beach read author: Jodi Picoult. Her books make me cry and they're super melodramatic in their plots, but she makes them seem very real.

Favorite modern literature author: Margaret Atwood. Because Handmaid's Tale was a wonder long before it became cool and all-too-real.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

My all time favorite authors include Shari Lapena and Linwood Barclay. The books they write are full of suspense and leaves you at the edge of your seat. I have never been disappointed.

Another fantastic author that I appreciate is Gillian Flynn.I find her writing to be mysterious and bold. Most of her books are also movies, which is a lot of fun to compare and see the characters on television.

Jodi Picoult is also a favorite of mine. She reels you in with sadness and also keeps your interest throughout every book she writes.
lica20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lica20.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by lica20 »

J.R. Tolkien is always on my list, he is definetely my favorite for a long time and I still feel nostalgic about his books. :)
taylorLindsey2020

Post by taylorLindsey2020 »

My favorite author E.B. White. Has always been my favorite since I was a child and I still love reading them to this day!
DakotesMahGotes
Currently Reading: Tolkien: A Miscellany
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotesmahgotes.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by DakotesMahGotes »

Top 5! In no particular order, just if they have written it, I most likely have read it or it is on my read list.

1. George MacDonald - great fantasy and Christian author who inspired Tolkien and Lewis
2. Tolkien - the originality, imagination, and shear intellect of the man is astounding
3. Dallas Willard - profound and convicting Christian author
4. H.P. Lovecraft - took fiction writing to a level never before reached (in my opinion)
5. Francis Chan - Simply writing that has an encouraging and challenging message for all Christian readers
xx0xxbrennaxx0xx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by xx0xxbrennaxx0xx »

:lol: I am n out as much as a reader as I used to be but the one author I keep coming back to is Stephanie Meyer. I have read the twilight series multiple times and am currently waiting for my copy of Midnight Sun to be delivered. She always has a way of pulling the reader into the fantasies that she created by allowing the characters to have a a connection to the reader.
shirleym89
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirleym89.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by shirleym89 »

My favorite author of all time is Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie. She is the only author whom I've read all of her books. She writes with so much elegance that you cannot help but want to read everything that she has ever written. Her debut novel, Purple Hibiscus happens to be my favorite book.

Perhaps I've not read enough books to make a judgement, but no writer compares to Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie.
Mariesg
Currently Reading: Detention of Doom
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariesg.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Mariesg »

Weirdly enough, I don't really have a favorite author. I have loved books and certain series, but I haven't really read more than one work of an author. Now, I'm starting to think that's something I should try to do. I could make it a reading challenge to read more stuff of the author's I've already read from.

Despite me not having favorite authors, I still have authors I like. K.M. Shea (which I recommend for the world building in her fairytale series), Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff (I love their Illuminae Series and I highly recommend), Sean Covey (his books for teenagers are great. I'm reading one and have the other on my to be read list), Carolyn Keene (which is a pen name but I don't know the name of the actual authors of Nancy Drew), and more. Those were just some of the ones I can remember off the top of my head.
Rodrigo Borges

Post by Rodrigo Borges »

My is Leo Tolstoy.
Grubb

Post by Grubb »

Don't read as often as I'd like but my favorite author at the moment is Brandon Sanderson since I just picked Mistborn back up
ricardos

Post by ricardos »

Winston Groom.

Return to “Discuss Authors”