Has your favourite author ever dissapointed you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Cinnamon-Paige
Currently Reading: the little friend
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinnamon-paige.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Re: Has your favourite author ever dissapointed you?

Post by Cinnamon-Paige »

Yes, I found Suzanne Collins writing rather disappointing towards the end of the Hunger Games series. It just seemed to lack a certain something that I can't put my finger on.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Amagine wrote:I was disappointed to learn that Dr. Seuss was racist. He's still my favorite author because I like his work, even if his character wasnt as great as it was made out to be.
Is that so? Oh, how very disappointing. I only wish that fact is kept a secret from kids until they are old enough to shrug it aside and not let it interfere with the lessons of his books.
WestIndie001
Favorite Author: James M. Gabagat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
fav_author_id: 125024

Post by WestIndie001 »

Stephen King. His writing's fine, but when he directed the movie Maximum Overdrive.
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

zking wrote:Yes. John Grisham disappointed me in two books which were "The Painted House" and "Skipping Christmas". Neither book was a mystery and not very interesting.
I haven't read those, but I soon will. I hope I don't get too disappointed though.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Vivian Paschal wrote:
zking wrote:Yes. John Grisham disappointed me in two books which were "The Painted House" and "Skipping Christmas". Neither book was a mystery and not very interesting.
I haven't read those, but I soon will. I hope hI don't get too disappointed though.
I read both books and found them good and worthy of the John Grisham reputation. They are just not his usual lawyer stories.
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

Yes. I was once disappointed by JK Rowling. I loved the first 7 books in the series and just couldn't wait for Cursed Child to come out, hoping it would be better than all the previous books. However, I was disappointed in the book as it contradicts lots of facts mentioned in the previous books. It is also very predictable and boring. I haven't read Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them so I can only hope it's better than Cursed Child.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

My absolute favourites are my favourites partly because of their consistency. That said, I guess no prolific author can sustain equally high standards in every work? At her best, Agatha Christie weaves her murder mysteries so skilfully, but in one book "Mrs McGinty's Dead", I spotted the murderer correctly at an early stage ... won't say how in case it's a spoiler ... but that was disappointing for sure.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

Yes I have had a few authors disappoint me with their books, then I don't want to continue to try to read them after that.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Ssinghal wrote:Yes. I was once disappointed by JK Rowling. I loved the first 7 books in the series and just couldn't wait for Cursed Child to come out, hoping it would be better than all the previous books. However, I was disappointed in the book as it contradicts lots of facts mentioned in the previous books. It is also very predictable and boring. I haven't read Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them so I can only hope it's better than Cursed Child.
I was disappointed by this as well. I remember being wary when I found out she wasn't the head writer but figured it'd still be safe with her as a writer. Nope. That wasn't the case. The book Fantastic Beasts is really just like a textbook of magical creatures. Did you see the movie?
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

Michelleysaurus wrote: 12 Sep 2015, 01:12 I found that almost every one of my favorite authors have at least one book that im disappointed at and i usually dont read that particular book again but every now and then they pull a sneaky on you and that dissapointing book is crucial to the story. I once had a teacher tell me if i didnt like a book by the third chapter i wouldnt like the rest of the book but if that was true id have probably have never read the Harry Potter series which does have its dissapointing book in the Prisoner of Azkaban.
Prisoner of Azkaban was one of my favorites so... everyone has their own tastes I guess!

I still read all the Stephen King releases and I’m disappointed by some but not all of his recent work has let me down. The Bill Hodges series was good and I’ve loved all his short story collections. I’m waiting eagerly on The Outsider in May.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

Erin Hunter's books have gotten terrible over time, so I just stopped reading them years ago.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

J.K Rowling is one of my favorites and the only time she disappointed me was by not writing more HP books.
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by Cswrawr »

Anne Rice's Memnoch the Devil. It took me several tries and finally forcing myself to finish it. I found it so boring and I didn't really care about the "mystery" of what Memnoch was.
Amdeary
Currently Reading: The Mammoth Book of More Historical Whodunnits
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amdeary.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Post by Amdeary »

I love Dan Brown. But I recently made the mistake of reading two of his books back-to-back (Inferno and Origin, if it matters). Inferno is one of my favorites in the series thus far- and, reading Origin the next day, I finally noticed all the similarities in his books. Notably, using a women who are "infertile due to an infection and treatment as a child" as feature characters in both books. Little, silly things like that, things that would have been so easy to change. I was disappointed, for sure. I really don't like copy-paste writing.

My biggest disappointment was in The Walking Dead graphic novels. To avoid spoilers, all I'll say is the authors write themselves into a corner, and rather than come up with a compelling narrative to write themselves out of it, they kill a bunch of characters. Basically hit "reset" on the series, erasing several issues' worth of character development. I was so mad I refused to continue reading, and it took years before I was willing to give the writers of the TV show a chance.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

Twice.
Derek Landy - I love his Skullduggery Pleasant books to pieces. When I read his newest Demon Road books, I was disappointed. Maybe it's just because it wasn't Skullduggery, but Demon Road just wasn't as good.
Marissa Meyer - Her Lunar Chronicles and Renegades books are fantastic. But Heartless just didn't work for me at all.

But I stick with both because I have that much love for their work. Even the disappointments weren't bad. They just weren't as good in my opinion.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Return to “Discuss Authors”