Official Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Crossing Paths by Nina Purtee
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Official Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Little White Lies" by JC Anderson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What is the definition of a white lie? According to the Merriam Webster dictionary, a white lie is a "lie about a small or unimportant matter." Is it okay to tell one to prevent hurting someone's feelings? What about excluding information about a troubled past? In the book Little White Lies, J.C. Anderson and Jennifer Ciroli weave an elaborate story that I couldn't put down.

Mia Stone has only been in love twice in her life. Her first love was with Lucas Bauer. Lucas was an adopted boy who lived next door that became her best friend and only boyfriend throughout high school. When he enlists in the Army to get away from his abusive family, Mia breaks off the relationship, stating she would always love him. She promises that when he returns from the service she would be happy to restart the relationship as she would have graduated from high school. Unfortunately, she doesn't get over him as easily as she believed. Fast forward to age 26, Mia falls in love with Michael, a local police officer.

As Mia and Michael start into a serious relationship, the book steps into the life Lucas has chosen. He suffers from PTSD from his experiences during his active military duty. He marries Ellie, and she introduces him to cocaine to treat his night terrors. Lucas ends up in prison and the couple goes to rehab. After work one day, he finds Ellie has miscarried their baby. As time wears on, Ellie relapses and the couple falls apart. Lucas remembers his feelings for Mia and sets out for his hometown to see if she still loves him. Upon a chance encounter, he runs into Mia. Mia is torn between her love for Michael and her love for Lucas. She allows Lucas back into her life and sets a whirlwind of events into motion.

I liked how the character development of this novel is done. Every chapter told the view of each person. I was able to see how Mia felt, then the next chapter would detail how Michael or Lucas felt about the same situation. The way the authors structured the book made a timeline of events seamless. I disliked the extra explicit sex scenes as I found the amount of detail was not necessary.

I am rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted a star for the excessive descriptions of the sex scenes. I found only a couple of grammatical errors that could easily be overlooked. I would recommend this book to mature adults. The alcohol, drug use, violence, profanity, rape, and detailed sex scenes could be triggers for readers sensitive to those subjects. I enjoyed the execution of the ending as it was gradual and tied everything together. There is a valuable lesson learned about how the truth versus a white lie, could definitely change lives.

Little White Lies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
jardenjarden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jardenjarden.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by jardenjarden »

This sounds like an interesting concept, the moral decision one must be faced with when it comes to sparing one's feelings or not. Thank you for your review!
Lee-2u
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...? A Modern Day Fairy Tale
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-2u.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Lee-2u »

It sound interesting I will like to read the book. Thanks for good and well detailed review.
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

I like how the story revolves around honesty, as I don't think that everyone has the same definition for honesty. I like the concept of the story, so thank you for the recommendation!
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

It's good that you liked the story.
A well detailed review.
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Why in the World Are We Here?
Bookshelf Size: 2400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The plot you summarized captured me and I love books that involve secrets. I think we often underestimate the consequences our "white lies" can have.
An amazing review, thanks!
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

White lies are like band-aids that will definitely pull off, no matter how beautifully it covers the wound. Awesome review, this book is not for me though.
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Sad that Ellie introduces Lucas to cocaine to deal with nightmares that are caused by PTSD only for him to end up in jail. Good thing he goes to rehab.
Disneygirl2010
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Disneygirl2010 »

I like how it gets your attention and you want to read more to find out what happens
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

While lying is generally frowned upon, many times we justify white lies. This book seems to tackle the heavy nasty stuff in life, and yes - I agree, they don't fit in with erotica. Thanks for such a thorough and intriguing review. I almost shouted at Mia as it were. Great job!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

Explicit sex scenes are a bit off-putting. I like the detail with which you have analyzed the flow of the novel. Really excited to read this. Thank you for the review!
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

The title of this book got me intrigued with the plot. However, it seems that there are way too many erotic descriptions in the pages. I would pass on this one. Great review!
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

This sounds like an interesting read! I think the book is one worth checking out. Maybe I will try and read it some time in the future.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
John korir
Favorite Book: Sandra Eden's War
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-korir.html
Latest Review: Marco Martinez by R M Allan

Post by John korir »

seems interesting especially the love triangle of an individual. Started reading the book, let me see what happened.
Ozioma Miriam
Currently Reading: The Love Charm
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozioma-miriam.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ozioma Miriam »

This book was quite interesting. I feel Lucas at some point became a nuisance. He should have given way for Michael to continue with Mia seeing as they love each other so much. Instead, he brought pain and suffering to her and caused his tragic end. Thanks for an interesting review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”