Review of Unsound

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Re: Review of Unsound

Post by Misael Carlos »

I’m looking forward to digging into this novel to find out what brought Holly, Jon, Jay, and Mindy to Rainier and how they navigated the many challenges of being at-risk teens whose families have placed them in Rainier as a last resort and how their issues affected their roles in the society and relationships with the people around them. Will they survive their issues and come out from the place stronger and clear from their burdens or will these too much to overcome and leave them more afraid to face the outside world. Is love enough to heal someone or the fear of failure will only add confusion and fear in someone’s heart? There is only one way to find out right?! The themes are relevant and timely. I hope these are tackled in the novel with sensitivity and much care. I like books about relationships and relevant topics and this seems to be right up my alley. Readers, let’s enjoy the authors skillful talent in bringing characters alive through his writing! Congrats to the author!
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

This seems to be an interesting book. Troubled teens get into a lot of messy problems yet many of them reject the counsel of adults. Thanks for the review.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

As a youth, "Unsound" by Ash Finley just to know about how the author addressed the issue of mental health, eating disorders and addiction. I recommend this to all youths.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: Unsound' by Ash Finley provides the readers with a thorough account of the young adult story of the troubled youth struggling with addiction, eating disorders, mental illness, suicidal ideologies for readers. It well reflects on the theme of the book for readers. The point that the story describes a bunch of troubled teens having to live and work together in fairly closed quarters is worth mentioning in the review. Also, the point that the author focused on crossing the threshhold between friendship and romantic relationships, as mentioned in the review, is remarkable for readers. It was great to learn that the book is all-encompassing because of the diversity of characters and the relatable, coming-of-age issues depicted!
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

This young adult romance novel sounds very realistic and moving. I hope it will help older teens and young adults who are facing similar issues that are addressed in this book. Great review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Emmanuel Okotie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-okotie.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Emmanuel Okotie »

This book seem to be an interesting one. The cover is attractive and appealing. However, I do not quite relate to such books as this. Mindy's inclination for self-mutilation is quite alarming though.
Congratulations on being BOTD!
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

I'm curious about the "heavier topics" the official reviewer warns, since they're contemporary issues for the modern audience. I shall check the book out.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

A boarding school of troubled teens going through coming-of-age hardships sound like a book a typically enjoy. I would sample this book.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

An interesting setting for a coming of age story. It’s hard-hitting from the start, which I found drew me into the story straight away.
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

The BOTD is a realistic approach to the family drama issues that prevail among today's youth. Using the alternating perspectives of the youth in the treatment center is quite enlightening. Great review!
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I don't usually read romances, but this book presents so many other interesting aspects. As it comes free today, I think I would love to meet Mindy, Jon, Jay, and Holly. I hope Rainier helps them become "sound." I wonder why the author chose to name the school that way, though. "Sunnier" would have been more hopeful for people who've been out in the rain.
Glenna Stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glenna-stone.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Glenna Stone »

After reading the first few pages, I am hooked! I love how the book started out, and I'm invested in finding out exactly how Holly got in her current situation at such a young age.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

This sounds like an interesting book. I like the premise of Rainier. A boarding school that took on troubled teens. I'm more curious about the place than the characters itself. Thanks for the review.
John Kingsley Ken
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-kingsley-ken.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by John Kingsley Ken »

Healing from addictions, mental illness and depression is always hard nut to crack.And a romance thriller, this is must read for me. Congrats on being the BOTD.
Reva Parker
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 478
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reva-parker.html
Latest Review: Dear Abigail by Richard Rees

Post by Reva Parker »

Thank you for your wonderful review. I did enjoy the sample I read. It reminded me of years ago when I worked at a children's home for teens and a very "open" detention home earlier. The teens had gone through so much and their stories were heartbreaking. I am interested in reading to see if they can make changes and how the characters interact and grow. Thanks to your review I decided to definitely add it to my list of books to read.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”