Review of A Story For Ireland

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Review of A Story For Ireland

Post by OTrain Disene »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Story For Ireland" by G. J. Brown.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Story For Ireland is a romance novel by G. J. Brown. It can also be classified as a crime thriller. It had many elements that didn’t ground it into one category because it contained action, mystery, and suspense. But above all else, it is about two people who have been forced by circumstances to move out of each other’s lives, but somehow life conspires to reconnect them. The author is described as someone from a huge family, which supports her love for writing.

Caprice Antoine is held captive in the basement by her psychotic ex-fiancé. She is scared and does not know what to do except shout out loud for help. The smoke is engulfing the area fast, and she is starting to lose hope. When she is sure that there is no way out, someone shouts her name. It is Robert O’Neil! He helps her, and they run out of the basement. But on the way out, they are stopped by the steps that are on fire. Robert cannot jump with Caprice in his arms. He manages to give her to the firefighter on the other side. When it’s his turn, things go wrong.

Caprice is in Paris on the run. Someone is tailing her, and this is serious. She is about to leave Paris when an assassin intercepts her and tells her the most shocking things. He says that he does not want to kill her, at least not yet, but will play a long game with her. Caprice is scared, and the assassin sneaks out. While in Ireland, she meets a man who looks like Robert. But his surname does not quite match Robert’s. What is this game the assassin called The Reaper is playing? Where is Robert? Is he dead? Can Caprice run away from her ghosts and not put people who love her in danger? What’s the endgame?

This book was amazing. I enjoyed reading it because it did not focus on the clichés of romance. Instead, it tackled the theme by using other genres to supplement it. So at first, you can see that this is a romance novel, especially when Robert shows up at the last minute to save Caprice. The knight in shining armour saving the damsel in distress can be picked on instantly. But as you flip the pages, that is where it gets more interesting because love and feelings take a backseat.

This is the third book in the series. I could tell because some things did not make sense to me in the beginning. That is not to say it cannot be read as a standalone; it can. But the best way to savour it is to go back to the first instalment up to this third one. The characters were given proper backstories that made them come alive and be colourful. The book did not have many characters, so the unlimited number of them gave the author a chance to develop them properly. The first character introduced was Caprice. Already, I kind of knew that she was someone whose life was characterised by danger because of the person who had held her hostage in that basement. Then came Robert. He was not a firefighter but a cop, so for him to budge in that flaming basement to save Caprice showed me that he loved her. This was not just a heroic act prevalent in an every-day job. The description was outstanding.

The book did not dwell much on descriptions but focused more on the dialogue of the characters. So the book had limited narration. The dialogue took up more space. The pace was consistent from the beginning until the end. It did not slow down in the middle as books usually do. As it went on, it intensified. The Reaper made a perfect villain. He had the means to be scary. He could get in and out unnoticed at any time. The way he spoke and carried himself was indeed terrifying.

The only thing that turned me off was the ending. I thought it would go the other way, with bad people getting what they deserved and good people finally having justice, as most romances do. This book gave one and not the other. But it was not something major that made the ending totally bad. It just wasn’t something I was looking forward to.

The book was professionally edited, even though I came across a couple of errors. They were not many to take away from the quality of the book. I rate it five out of five stars. I strongly recommend it to lovers of romance, mystery, and crime thrillers. Readers over the age of eighteen will find it suitable for them. Surprisingly, it didn’t contain explicit sex scenes.

A Story For Ireland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”