Review of Hart & Soul

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 526
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: How to “Stop Sucking at Life” by J.W. Smith

Review of Hart & Soul

Post by Mutai Marshal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hart & Soul" by Sarah Kaye.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Hart & Soul is a romance novel by Sarah Kaye. It tells the story of Savannah, a fifty-six-year-old divorcee who finally starts living. This is after enduring a marriage laden with infidelity. When her last son finally moves out, she decides to separate from her unfaithful husband. On her fifty-sixth birthday, she finally understood her worth. She decides to dive back into the dating world by dispatching a friend request to a guy called Drew. Even before meeting him, she could already tell that there was something special about him. Will Drew become the answer to what she has longed for for so long? Will fate finally smile at her and allow her to experience true love?

Hart & Soul explores the themes of love, marriage, infidelity, motherhood, and dealing with grief and loss, among others. The book focuses on grief by allowing the reader to experience different coping mechanisms. Savannah and Drew each experience loss in different capacities, and each copes differently. The book's setting is in the post-corona pandemic. It touches on some of the unfortunate effects of the pandemic and how it impacted lives.

There were several things I treasured about this book. I adored that Savannah was able to finally move out of a marriage that no longer served her. I also admired her courage to get back into the dating game despite her age and past failed relationships. She also loves deeply and is careful not to offend. I also loved Drew's character. He was calm and collected, which was exactly what Savannah needed.

Unfortunately, there were several things I did not like. I felt the characters lacked deep development. I hoped to see other aspects of Savannah apart from daydreaming about Drew all the time. The book also lacked a thriller that would keep someone glued to the end. The author should have included a mystery to give the characters diversity and allow us to see them in different settings. The characters felt shallowly developed, considering the main characters were not less than 50 years old. Savannah sounded emotionally immature and like someone who could not contain her feelings.

I rate the book 3 out of 5 stars. I deducted the two points due to the above sentiments and the grammatical errors I encountered. I recommend the book to lovers of romance books. The book contains a significant amount of adult content; therefore, readers should proceed with caution.

Hart & Soul
View: on Bookshelves
Kirui Collins
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirui-collins.html
Latest Review: Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Hodgson

Post by Kirui Collins »

The themes of love, marriage, and infidelity are well brought out. Gratitude.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”