Review of My Picker is Broken

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: Deadly Sexy Lizzy
Bookshelf Size: 1666
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: The Ember Reach by J. Gibson
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 94%

Review of My Picker is Broken

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Picker is Broken" by Rose Graham.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Rose Graham’s My Picker Is Broken is her personal account of online dating after divorcing her second husband. At fifty, Rose has not dated since 1996. She begins her journey into online dating on January 1, 2022. Rose stated which phone app she uses for each person.

Rose gives her honest opinion of every dating site she uses. She included a chapter on some of the slang terminology associated with online dating. The stories of the men she found online gave details about the men and how she interacted with them. Her first interaction about “Jimmy Military Madness” was on Facebook Dating. She believed he was everything she would ever dream of until he asked for money. Heartbroken to learn Jimmy is a scam artist, she tried a different site. She embarks on the story about “Sockman '' from Match.com. She went on two dates with him before inviting him to her house. Afterwards, he ghosted her. Rose continues her tales and experiences with men.

I found her stories to be funny and lighthearted. Throughout the book, she would mention several points that were worthwhile for safety. While she mentioned several red flags to watch for, I recognized several more. I also noticed that while she set boundaries, she didn’t abide by them. This reinforced her statement of “only being human.” I believe the sexting gave her a confidence boost because she receives compliments and feels she is beautiful. Rose’s writing style is very laid-back; she writes as though she is in the same room with you.

Professional editing is used, but I still noted a few errors. However, I found the positives outweigh the negatives; therefore, I am giving My Picker is Broken the score of five out of five stars. Her friendly tone, informative chapters, and ability to remain optimistic kept me invested in reading each story. I could connect with how she felt, and I believe I would have reacted the same way in some stories. While I have never tried online dating, she offers her experiences as personal advice she felt compelled to share with others.

Obviously, this is not an appropriate book for young readers. I would recommend My Picker Is Broken for adults who may be curious about what online dating is like. This book has no filter; there are profanity and explicit scenes that could be offensive to some readers. The humor, red flag warnings, and safety warnings make this a well-rounded book for online dating advice.

My Picker is Broken
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Samuel Falle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-falle.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox

Post by Samuel Falle »

This review appreciated the book and applauded the author for doing a great job in creating it. Based on the pleasant impression the author's writing created, the reviewer also did well in making me want to include the book on my bookshelf.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: El espejismo
Bookshelf Size: 2412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: The Perfect Life by Anne Callahan
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I can't imagine how hard it must be to go back to dating after so long. Not only has the technological scene changed, but I guess the rules have changed, too. How interesting!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”