Review of The Firebrand

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Review of The Firebrand

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Firebrand" by T. M. Smith.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Braelyn has grown up with a lousy deal. She lost her mother when she was young and has a brain tumour that keeps coming back. Despite this, she makes the most of her life studying and working to become a journalist around bouts of chemo.

One day, she stumbles upon something in an alley. A strapping, handsome man was grappling with a monster. She witnesses the man kill the demon and send it through a portal. The man instantly turns on her, and before Braelyn can comprehend what is happening, the man has transported her through the portal.

Once through the portal, she learns the world is not all it seems. Three elements were separated aeons ago: Earth, Scath and Darque. She is informed about the monsters from Darque and the Aeternals of Scath from the two Aeternals present. As an Earther, being on Scath presents a problem, and drama ensues. Find out what happens in The Firebrand by T. M. Smith.

This book fits into the romance, fantasy and crime-thriller genres. The separation of worlds, the Aeternals, and the demons will interest fans of the fantasy genre. There is plenty of action, fight scenes and some detective work to interest the crime-thriller readers. The romantic tension is acute, with many erotic encounters described throughout. I recommend this book to mature audiences who enjoy a heady mix of genres and for whom profanity is acceptable.

There were many things to appreciate about the book, including the instant connection the author creates with Braelyn. Who would not identify with her when learning about her background? I feel like the author may have been close to someone who has suffered cancer because the minor details felt immensely accurate: “She also needed the comfort of his untroubled eyes before they dulled with the news.”

Another thing I found endearing about Braelyn is her sass when attempting to manage the situation when thrown into an unknown world. She arrives on Scath having been kidnapped, has seen a monster, has two gorgeous imposing Aeternals in front of her and still dares to sass them for not providing her with information.

A third thing I enjoyed is the world-building. I found it extremely interesting that Scath’s culture, mannerisms and fashions changed with the times similar to Earth, including a reference to the 1700s. The question that arose in my mind was the driver for that change. Do the Aeternals influence Earth with their longevity of life, or does Earth possess more power than expected?

The sole thing I did not appreciate about the book was how long the author delayed explaining what the Bludhunt involves. The book notes this several times, building both fear and hype for it, but still no answer as to what the Bludhunt is. However, stressing aside, the character that ultimately revealed the answer to the Bludhunt question is the ideal person to explain.

There were some minor errors and typos, but these did not deter me from enjoying the book. As such, I rate this book five out of five stars. I could not set it down.

The Firebrand
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Geralt_99
Currently Reading: Artwords
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Geralt_99 »

The engaging mix of fantasy, romance, and crime-thriller elements, coupled with strong character connections and accurate portrayal of challenging themes, makes it a compelling read. Your detailed observations on world-building and the minor delay in revealing key plot elements add depth to the review. Thank you for the insightful review of the book.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

A portal to other worlds . Different mysterious worlds affect each other. And a girl in a strange world trying to discover it. Your review is interesting and your presentation of the book is captivating. I enjoyed reading it, thank you.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Jennifer Coxon wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 15:34 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Firebrand" by T. M. Smith.]

Braelyn has grown up with a lousy deal. She lost her mother when she was young and has a brain tumour that keeps coming back. Despite this, she makes the most of her life studying and working to become a journalist around bouts of chemo.

One day, she stumbles upon something in an alley. A strapping, handsome man was grappling with a monster. She witnesses the man kill the demon and send it through a portal. The man instantly turns on her, and before Braelyn can comprehend what is happening, the man has transported her through the portal.

Once through the portal, she learns the world is not all it seems. Three elements were separated aeons ago: Earth, Scath and Darque. She is informed about the monsters from Darque and the Aeternals of Scath from the two Aeternals present. As an Earther, being on Scath presents a problem, and drama ensues. Find out what happens in The Firebrand by T. M. Smith.

This book fits into the romance, fantasy and crime-thriller genres. The separation of worlds, the Aeternals, and the demons will interest fans of the fantasy genre. There is plenty of action, fight scenes and some detective work to interest the crime-thriller readers. The romantic tension is acute, with many erotic encounters described throughout. I recommend this book to mature audiences who enjoy a heady mix of genres and for whom profanity is acceptable.

Another thing I found endearing about Braelyn is her sass when attempting to manage the situation when thrown into an unknown world. She arrives on Scath having been kidnapped, has seen a monster, has two gorgeous imposing Aeternals in front of her and still dares to sass them for not providing her with information.

A third thing I enjoyed is the world-building. I found it extremely interesting that Scath’s culture, mannerisms and fashions changed with the times similar to Earth, including a reference to the 1700s. The question that arose in my mind was the driver for that change. Do the Aeternals influence Earth with their longevity of life, or does Earth possess more power than expected?
Jennifer, wow - this multi-genre book had me surprised and intrigued! You did a wonderful job characterizing and summarizing it. It looks and feels like a romance, but it is so much more! I love a female character with sass; Braelyn seems like a well-developed character. You presented some exciting aspects of the unique world that has been built for this novel, as well as posed some interesting questions. I'm not sure if I'm ready to dive in yet, but if your review can't convince me...surely no one else's will! I loved reading this review. Until next time...
:tiphat:

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”