Review of The Two Olive Martini

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: The Bowhunter by Norbert Negron

Review of The Two Olive Martini

Post by Salome Ogani »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Two Olive Martini" by Lance T Weil.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

At certain times in our lives, we let go of the people who are meant for us due to our selfishness or stupidity. Most of the time, our actions are redeemable. Oftentimes, they are not, and even in those times when they are redeemable, they still leave scars that remind us of our actions.

Gail Sheppard, a beautiful woman with striking green eyes, was a traveling nurse who prided herself on being professional. After going through two divorces, she was focusing on becoming an even better version of herself with each passing day. She receives a call from her second daughter regarding an issue. With one week left out of her two-week assignment in Berkeley, she called out for a family emergency. A series of unlikely events, akin to a magnetic fortuity, led to her meeting her first husband, Sean Pierce, at an airport after twenty-six years apart. He is informed of the family emergency and decides to accompany Gail to visit their daughter. What will happen when what is left of what they feel for each other is rekindled, and they must confront the choices they have made? Will it be about getting even or getting it right this time around? Get a copy of The Two Olive Martini by Lance T. Weil to find out.

One thing I admired about the book was the author's use of language, which brought my imagination to life, especially since the book was set in relatable locations. The characters in the book are also well-developed, making it easy to become invested in their stories and outcomes. I love how the author made Sean human, and I could feel his shortcomings and relate to them.

It takes a lot of love and courage for a person to sacrifice his/her dreams for someone else's, and that was what Sean failed to see. He did not recognize the role Gail played in his life and the pain his actions were causing her at the time. I also loved the fact that this book addressed the complexities of family relationships and the challenges that come with working through difficult situations together.

For me, Gail represents every super mom in the world today. Despite the fact that she was divorced and was building herself, she still remained relevant in the lives of her kids, such that when they encountered difficulties, they could reach out to her for help, and she handled the responsibilities that came with them. Not many women can do that. Her character is fictional, but she has a lot to teach women of the current generation. Furthermore, I have always felt that more sins are committed within the church and among people who describe themselves as "children of God" and "men and women of God." This increases the number of unbelievers, as one cannot expect an individual to believe in God or religion when they see people at the hem of affairs doing the opposite of what they are preaching.

I disliked the fact that certain aspects of this book were repeated in different places, making the story feel repetitive. One instance of this can be seen when Uncle Pinky's philosophy is mentioned in two different places, word for word. If it had to be revisited, the second citation should have been a summary or report of the first, not repeating every single thing. Another repetition could be seen in Sean's thoughts and feelings regarding trust, God, and death. Most times, it's just going in circles. I also encountered some errors while reading the book. Another round of editing will eliminate these errors.

I recommend this book to lovers of romance and character-driven stories with a focus on family, love, and personal growth. Considering the negative and positive aspects, I rate the book 4 out of 5 stars. If you love books about self-discovery, forgiveness, and the power of love to transform and redeem, then you shouldn't skip The Two Olive Martini by Lance T. Weil.

The Two Olive Martini
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Onwuesi Promise
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Onwuesi Promise »

"The Two Olive Martini" appears to be a poignant trip delving into themes of love, atonement, and the intricacies of familial relationships. It promises to be an interesting book with well-developed characters and realistic locations. Its themes of self-discovery and forgiveness make it worthwhile to recommend, even in spite of occasional repetition and inaccuracies. Thanks for your wonderful review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”