Official Review: Angelina's Secret

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Official Review: Angelina's Secret

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Angelina's Secret" by Diane Merrill Wigginton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Angelina’s Secret by Diane Merrill Wigginton is the first in the Jeweled Dagger Series. It follows the life and love of Lady Angelina Marguerite Amelia Stewart and Captain Jude Deveraux.

Angelina sincerely does not want to get married. She’s strongly opposed to being considered a man’s property. She’s smart, strong-willed, and capable. While on a journey with her uncle, pirates take over their ship. The captain sequesters Angelina in her cabin. Despite her better judgement, she finds herself intrigued by this man, and he’s just as intrigued by her. Afterwards, when she’s back in London, she meets Jude Deveraux. He looks strangely familiar. It doesn’t take long before Angelina realizes what we already know; Jude is truly the pirate captain. Will he set aside his illegal enterprise? Will Angelina reconsider marriage?

That synopsis barely scratches the surface of this interesting book. There are also a few murders around town, a kidnapping, premonitions, and a secret society. There is so much action and excitement that it kept me turning pages wondering what could possibly happen next. Angelina is a strong, female character that is easily admired. Jude is sensitive and cares for Angelina without being overbearing. The love between Angelina and Jude is inspiring and ahead of its time. I liked that all of the characters were believable and realistic.

Most of the book was written in Angelina’s first-person view, but there was a chapter about Jude told from a third-person view. While the information was good, the change in perspective was out of place. There were also editing mistakes peppered throughout the text. My main issue with this book was the story arc. The overall book arced more like a heartbeat than a mountain. I expected things to build up, crescendo, then resolve down. Instead, the story hit us with several exciting high-points. While I can enjoy it when exciting things happen that build to a certain high-point, this book had a hard time winding down. Exciting things continued to happen after the crescendo that made the book seem drawn-out. My criticisms of the storyline were not enough to detract from the overall enjoyment of reading this book.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The characters and storyline were enough to give it full stars, but the editing caused me to take one away. I would recommend this those that enjoy a good romance story. The secrets and schemes kept it interesting. This book does have some explicit descriptions, so it’s not intended for younger readers.

Angelina's Secret
View: on Bookshelves

Like bb587's review? Post a comment saying so!
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

I love a good romance novel, especially one with a strong female protagonist swayed by love. Thanks for the review, I'll definitely put this on my list!
yeancha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yeancha.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by yeancha »

This book sounds like an interesting read, I this I with check it out. Thanks for the great review
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

This is interesting, an illustration of the spellbinding effect of love.I am going to check this one out.Thanks for the review.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

I gave up romance novels for mystery/thrillers after high school. I find some of the elements mentioned in the review intriguing enough to check out the book. Awesome review.
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Livsnjutare
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Livsnjutare »

"She’s strongly opposed to being considered a man’s property. "

Angelina and I are on the same boat. 😁😁😁 The book is interesting, a mix of action and romance. #pirate'slove
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

You can't go wrong with a lovable rogue pirate in the mix! Awesome review.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

An action-romance novel are interesting with a strong female protagonist.... wow.
I would love to read this novel too.
Thanks for the detailed summary and review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”