Official Review: Perfect. by D. D. Larsen

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Perfect. by D. D. Larsen

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Perfect." by D. D. Larsen.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“LIFE MIGHT NOT BE WHAT YOU WANT BUT IT IS WHAT YOU HAVE AND YOU NEED TO EMBRACE IT."

When everything Seryna upheld and believed in comes to a standstill after meeting a mystery man, her life, and all that she has ever known changes within a matter of weeks…

With his mesmerizing blue eyes and incredible timing, Kieran Black becomes the knight in shining armor that saves the damsel in distress more than once. He always seems to appear at the right second, whisking Seryna away from impending danger. But will she trust him enough when a threat that she never foresaw causes doubt and mistrust? What will become of her plans to leave behind her hometown when a disruptive set of events takes over her sleepy town? Follow Seryna on her journey in life and love as she attempts to uncover her town’s new destructive secrets with her new, sexy beau in tow.

Perfect by D. D. Larsen is a fast-paced, titillating romantic novel with red-hot sensual scenes. The narrative has elements of thrilling adventure and action as characters find themselves in circumstances where they could lose much more than they bargained for. Themes in this romantic tale include love, lust, mistrust, friendship and family drama, and so much more.

This novel had a diverse and interesting set of characters, some of whom were likable and others not so much. The characters also experienced an array of emotions as people do in real life. I especially liked that the narrative had a captivating twist that added to the drama and action, making it more than just your average love story. One of the questions the readers will encounter in the protagonist’s journey of seeking the truth includes the following: Should you still face the truth with the same amount of bravery and conviction if it threatens to destroy that which you hold dear?

Even though the storyline was quite intriguing, the narrative had a number of shortcomings that were hard to overlook. For Instance, the normalization of sexual harassment within the scope of friendship. It doesn’t matter if the characters were drunk – real friends don’t try to rape you or forcefully kiss you at parties when you’re drunk! This aspect of the narrative irked me the most.

Another factor was that guys like Kieran don’t exist in real life (if you can overlook the inexperienced eighteen-year-old and older authority figure element). The man was always on time and ready to rescue Seryna when she was in trouble. Even when he traveled out of town, he somehow made it back in time to rescue her (note: he isn’t a supernatural being). He never misunderstood any situation he found her in and was always understanding and very generous with his resources. Apart from his relationship with Seryna, he was perfect. No significant character flaw apart from falling for someone he shouldn’t be with.

The third aspect was that although I understand that some attractions can be very intense, at some point, the story seemed to become sex-driven – every few pages or so the characters were all over each other in explicit detail. And while I have no issues with sex scenes, it became a little overdone. I became numb to it – their encounters weren’t exciting anymore. The fourth and final aspect is that there were a number of grammatical errors, including missing words and some unnecessary repetition of the words – e.g., “…being an independent strong woman” – which I didn’t find necessary.

Bringing it all together, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars, as I feel that the book could still benefit from some revision. The narrative contains strong language and mature content; therefore, it is suitable for a mature audience. Readers who fancy an erotic thrilling tale and do not mind the inclusion of foul language and sexual detail may still enjoy this novel.

Perfect.
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Titillating, red-hot sensual scenes can certainly have their addictive appeal! But they can also lose their luster if they occur too frequently without some sort of shifting details. You bring up many worthwhile points and suggestions about the story as a whole! Thank you for your insightful review.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Exactly! Thank you for reading my review. Despite the flaws, there's a captivating storyline, good writing, and really thoughtful life sentiments (at the beginning of most chapters). With revision, I can see the novel Perfect getting closer to a perfect rating, hehe.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 01:01 Titillating, red-hot sensual scenes can certainly have their addictive appeal! But they can also lose their luster if they occur too frequently without some sort of shifting details. You bring up many worthwhile points and suggestions about the story as a whole! Thank you for your insightful review.
I agree with your comments. It's refreshing when you can't predict the next move or stick to the same concept.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

ritah wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 01:39 Exactly! Thank you for reading my review. Despite the flaws, there's a captivating storyline, good writing, and really thoughtful life sentiments (at the beginning of most chapters). With revision, I can see the novel Perfect getting closer to a perfect rating, hehe.
Perfect made perfecter, haha. Love it!
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

The normalizing of rape is not something I would be able to overlook either in a book. I do like romantic adventures and the book seems to have a few good things going for it. Thanks for the honest and insightful review.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I think I was already too hooked by the secrets, thrill, and romance by the time I got to the shortfalls part :) I will be mindful of them when I read this.

Thank you for such a thorough and well-rounded review! :)
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

This book seemed to have a very intriguing plot, and I like that it was so fast-paced. I do hate when sex scenes are overdone and used unnecessarily as it takes away from the plot. Great review though!
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

I love romance fantasy novels, but Prefect isn't my flavor of tea. :snooty: It is driven by lust rather than a complicated plot I can sink my teeth into. Thanks for the review.
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

Romance is always good to read when it's well written and every part is well described. Once it's romance,I sure do want to read. I love the title too. Thanks for the review.
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

Romance plus action equals a great book. I am definitely looking out for this one.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The concept of the book really amazed me. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Thanks for the insightful and thorough review. I was drawn by the title and sheer curiosity. Would definitely give this a read
M_jay1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by M_jay1 »

The title is a plus to curiosity. The review gives a well informed summary of what to expect. I can't wait to read it.
Leandra81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leandra81.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Leandra81 »

I have just finished reviewing this book. I did enjoy it. However there were some parts that were frustrating. Your review is amazing and you inspire me to work hard on my reviews in the future.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”