Official Review: Quanah: Last of the Paiute Warriors

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Official Review: Quanah: Last of the Paiute Warriors

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Quanah: Last of the Paiute Warriors" by Steve Gladish.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Quanah Winnemucca is a Native American woman from the Paiute tribe, born in the Moapa Indian Reservation in Nevada. She is a brilliant, brave, and beautiful girl with dreams of bringing security and development to Native Americans. Quanah has her mind set on saving her people from exploitation, just like all the heroes and heroines in the stories her father told her. But first, she takes up a waiting job to save their ranch. This is when she meets Dakota.

Dakota Duval is a half-Indian who works as an Upper Winds Operator in the Nevada Test Site for nuclear weapons and radioactivity. It is not a job he enjoys, having been assigned to the underground testing site during his military service. Dakota has Indian heritage, a love for mustangs, Native Americans, and African Americans. These make him an object of hatred from his racist colleagues, particularly Sergeant Oglesby and his buddy, Will Canute. But racism becomes the least of his worries after a new threat surfaces. His instinct tells him it's related to the band of wild mustangs he looks out for at the site. The threat, though, becomes deeper and more dangerous when it is discovered that Native American girls are also being abducted and forced into sex slavery.

Quanah: Last of the Paiute Warriors by Steve Gladish is rich with Native American culture and history. The lead characters' identification with the culture promoted a deep cultural appreciation and identity. This was evident in Dakota's love for Native Americans, mustangs, and his cultural assimilation and acceptance despite the initial ethnicism in play. The author seemed well-versed in Indian culture, history, and geography. In this tale, Gladish taught me a lot about Native American culture and even crafted a few role models to look up to, such as Sacagawea and Quanah.

I loved the relationship Quanah had with her dad while growing up. It was a father-daughter, teacher-student, and friend-friend relationship all at the same time. Quanah's father raised her with so much love and wisdom, and he instilled in her the seeds of value, respect, and duty toward her ancestry. He never tried to push her into the traditional mold of the Native Indian woman but motivated her to accomplish great things for their people. Their entire family was a peaceful, close-knit one and welcomed Dakota and his friends with open arms. The love, togetherness, and support of the Native American family were enviable and instrumental throughout the adventures in this book. This was also my favorite aspect of this novel.

Quanah and Dakota's relationship was similar to what Quanah had with her father, excluding the romance, of course. They were made for each other and seemed to understand themselves perfectly. Bounded by their love for their heritage and mustangs, they were able to accomplish so much together. I also loved that their relationship was not based on sex, even though the love between them was deep.

The only thing I disliked about this book was its overly descriptive style. I felt that this was unnecessary in some places and threatened to hijack the plot. I had to resist the urge to gloss over them and go to the sentence or paragraph's main point. I would still rate the book 4 out of 4 stars because the story was too good to deserve any less. There's also the fact that it was impeccably edited. I could barely find any errors in the book, and the few I did find were subjective at best. I would recommend this story to people interested in Native American culture and mustangs. Also, if you enjoy old-fashioned, non-sexual romance tales filled with promise, this book is for you too.

Quanah: Last of the Paiute Warriors
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

This sounds like a very nice book. I like romance tales that don't get stuck in the sexual content. I find it unnecessary. Great review!
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Dr D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dr-d.html
Latest Review: The Internet President: None of the Above by P.G. Sundling
Reading Device: B07QCCW5KB

Post by Dr D »

The books which rediscover the Native American and Native Indian history, make us think about the times of conflict. The overexploitation done by the Colonizers has made an unrepairable dent on the history and culture of the natives. I really like the core subject of the book. Will definitely read it. The review was flawless with every minute detail well presented. Thanks for the review.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

This book seems to have a complex storyline that incorporates a lot of different elements. Quanah and Dakota's relationship sounds sweet and genuine, and both seem like characters well worth investing my time. I enjoyed reading your detailed review!
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

I was attracted by the cover. Although it wasn't what I was expecting, I still liked the storyline. I will give this book a try. Great review.
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

this book seems adventurous.love is the point in a relationship illustrated here. i like the review though great work
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

The book's title is catchy and I love you detailed review. You did an awesome work
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

Thank you for your review. Judging from your review the book seems to be an interesting love story. I believe that Quanah: Last of the Paiute Warriors by Steve Gladish is the type of book I am looking for.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

Good storyline. To save a nation, Quanah has to save a ranch first. Thanks for the detailed review, it seems one can look more into indian and native American culture through this book.
Sarah tianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tianna.html
Latest Review: Reverse Chronic Kidney Disease by Yaw A. Boateng

Post by Sarah tianna »

I am really a fan of romantic books. Romantic books are quite engaging. The book cover is another amazing feature. I look forward to reading this book. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I'm intrigued to know the story of a woman who is a warrior as that is a rare title for women. Thanks for your review.
Christabel nmeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-nmeso.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christabel nmeso »

Your review of "Quanah: Last of the Paiute Warriors" is fantastic! It's clear that you were deeply immersed in the rich Native American culture and history that the book explores. I love how you highlighted the strong identification the lead characters have with their culture and the appreciation and acceptance they promote.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”