Official Review: The Blue Rose by LaVonne Thompson

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shieldmaiden88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shieldmaiden88.html
Latest Review: The Blue Rose by LaVonne Thompson

Official Review: The Blue Rose by LaVonne Thompson

Post by Shieldmaiden88 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Blue Rose" by LaVonne Thompson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Blue Rose by Lavonne Thompson is a short story about love at first sight. Jason Bell and Cynthia Brook meet at a club. Jason, wearing a blue rose, introduces himself and asks Cynthia to dance. She accepts and they dance and talk for hours, getting to know each other. With so much in common, the two are drawn to each other, a seemingly perfect match. Though they share so many interests, one major obstacle stands in the way of their relationship. Cynthia is Christian and Jason is Jewish. In spite of sharing the Old Testament text, their faiths have opposing views of Jesus Christ. Although their forbidden love blooms for a short while through chaperoned outings and double dates, they eventually drift apart due to their conflicting religious beliefs.

In this short story, Thompson paints a picture of young love that is both charming and relatable. As a Christian, she clearly understands the nature of the religious conflict that drives the plot of this tale. As the story unfolds, she details the separate life journeys of Cynthia and Jason. The important events in their lives are told concisely enough to keep the story short but with enough detail to explain who they become as their lives progress.

The Blue Rose is a delightful story. I only wish it could have been longer. This story took me only a few short minutes, making it perhaps the shortest short story I have ever read. As someone who has read many thousands of pages of Christian fiction over the years, the conclusion of this story was fairly predictable. Having a good idea where the story was going, I would have liked the ending to be somewhat less sudden.

This short story is beautifully written and easy to read. Though I found a couple of very minor punctuation errors, the text is otherwise professionally edited. In just a few short pages, the story is introduced, developed, and brought to a satisfactory close. Despite my wish for the story to be longer, I am rating it 4 out of 4 stars as my critique of the length is only a matter of personal taste and not a reflection of the quality of the story.

I recommend this story primarily to Christians. Because the story has a decidedly Christian perspective, people of other faiths and those who do not hold religious views may not enjoy a plot that centers around matters of religion. However, anyone who enjoys a short, sweet romance may enjoy this story.

The Blue Rose
View: on Bookshelves
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

A book suitable for Valentine's day, for sure! Thank you for thorough review!
nikechi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikechi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by nikechi »

Although the plot seems nice, I'm not sure I'll like the book because of the length. I like to have time to appreciate the story and bond with the characters. If this book is so short, I might be unable to do so.
Thanks for such an awesome review :tiphat:
Let peace reign in the chaos :reading-4:
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

Not sure this is a book I will be reading any time soon but I enjoyed you clear informative review. Well done.
Mofor Endurance
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Mofor Endurance »

I Will gladdens my hearto have a taste of such a book by reading, I really enjoy reading short books as such .
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

This story looks charming. Thanks for the eloquent review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the ease with which the book is read, as well as the message it carries.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”