Official Review: Well Laid Plans by Alix H

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Official Review: Well Laid Plans by Alix H

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Well Laid Plans" by Alix H.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ginny and George have been married for three years, and George’s parents want grandchildren. What his parents do not know is that Ginny and George are sexually incompatible. George only married Ginny to protect his reputation. Ginny married George for his wealth so she could get out of poverty. Due to their social standing, they only associate with George’s friends and family that are wealthy. These friends scorn Ginny because she came from poverty and she is Polish. One week, George decides to invite his auto mechanic, Pete, to his weekly Wednesday night poker game. Pete knows he does not fit in with George’s friends, but he attends anyway. Ginny always compliantly serves as hostess providing food, refilling drinks, and emptying ashtrays. There is an instant attraction between Ginny and Pete, and after three years of marriage, she realizes what she is missing in her marriage of convenience. But what can Ginny do? Can she give up all her money, clothing, and jewelry for a life of poverty? You will have to read Alix H’s Well Laid Plans: Part One of the Generations Saga to find out.

There were several things I liked about this book. Firstly, the author describes each of the characters in so much detail I could picture each of their personalities. I could also sense the snobbish attitude that their friends had towards Ginny. Secondly, the vivid descriptions of the activities allowed me to visualize a smoke-filled room during poker game nights, as well as the cars in the auto shop. Finally, the author has a clear and accurate understanding of the 1955 lifestyle. This understanding includes the style of clothing, the social attitudes, and moral standards of the time, which were right on point. Appearances were the most important thing to people.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. The book was well-written and flowed smoothly. There were only a few minor errors that did not distract from my reading enjoyment. I hope to be able to read the next book in the saga.

I only found five small errors in the entire book. These errors did nothing to distract my reading. I believe the book has been edited by a professional. I gladly give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to readers over the age of 18. The non-borderline profanity and the exotic sexual content make this book unsuitable for younger readers. Some older readers may find this content extremely offensive because the sexual content leaves nothing to the reader’s imagination.

Well Laid Plans
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

A marriage only based on appearances is difficult to succeed...it doesn't surprise me that Ginny falls in love with Pete! Your review explains perfectly what the book is about, thank you.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I love books that do a fantastic job at recreating a certain time period. I do wonder if appearances are still not essential to most people. Probably not in the same way it was in the 1950s, but I feel like we still are an appearance-focused society.
This appears to be a perfect read for me. Thank you!
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

This sounds like really captivating book and I will give it a look thanks to your review.
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

Great review! I am not surprised about George's friends' snobbish attitude. It's a reflection of real life and how most rich people look down on those struggling in life.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I have been married for ten years and I believe that marriage is one of the most challenging but most rewarding phase of life. Yes, challenging. Loving someone is not easy, but it is very rewarding. Not to mention the children....oooh! However, you will have to sacrifice and compromise just as in any endeavor in life that require one to take responsibility.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Marriage of convenience is only satisfactory superficially. I think it would make me feel like I was alone in a crowded room.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I don't believe that I could marry for convenience or for money. Nothing matches being in true love! However, after reading your review, I want to start reading this book! Thank you for a job well done!
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Post by Christell Lindeque »

The scandalous nature of this book is something I would like to read. I like that Ginny has a chance at real romance rather than being in a lovless marriage. Great review.
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Billboards Across America by D.J. Parsons

Post by Kendal Low »

While some may judge Ginny, I believe that we could never know her struggles and how difficult it was to live that way. Thanks for a good and honest review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”