Official Review: Hollywood Expats by Max Milano

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 757
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Official Review: Hollywood Expats by Max Milano

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hollywood Expats" by Max Milano.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hollywood Expats: A Tale of Hollywood, Death & Love by Max Milano is a romantic tale of two people from different worlds. Monica is an actress on the A-list, and he is her scriptwriter. This book is a story of their love, betrayal, jealousy, distrust, and tragedy. He hates what she does to succeed; she does not want to be alone and wants him to follow her through all of her adventures. Thus, you enter the rich and famous VIP world running from paparazzi, international travel to shoot at different locations, shmoozing at parties, and getting high off hallucinogenic drugs. Join their journey during the turbulent years of 2014 through 2020 as they battle thugs, mafia, terrorists, and legal issues. They live in a world where their wealth and status define them. Will their relationship survive? Will he overcome his jealousy of her popularity and wealth over his.

There are a couple of things I particularly like about this book. Firstly, the author’s descriptions of the demographics made me feel like I was there. For instance, I could imagine the terrorist attacks, the eclipse, and the beaches. Secondly, the justifications for some of the characters’ actions were thought-provoking. “If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to witness it, did the tree really fall?” is one of them. Does this mean that if you commit a crime that no one sees that it did not happen? I do not think so.

Unfortunately, there are multiple things I disliked about the book. Firstly, the book is written in the first tense by one of the characters. The reader does not find out their name until the very end. Not having a name for a character made it difficult for me to summarize a romance about two people without spoiling the ending. Secondly, the plot covers the years between 2014 and 2020, and they were not in chronological order. One chapter would be on 2016, the next 2018, the next on 2016, and so on. This jumping around was confusing to me. Finally, parts of the narrative are in the French and Spanish languages without interpretation.

Although I found some parts of the book confusing, overall, it is a well-written, action-packed book. The book has been edited exceptionally well by a professional editor as it contains no grammatical or typographical errors. I gladly give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I thought about giving it three stars due to my confusion but decided that other readers may understand more than I did. With the book being error-free, I am sure the author had a reason for putting the chapters in the order he did.

I recommend this book to readers over the age of 18. I do not recommend the book to younger readers because of the non-borderline profanity, sexual content, and drug usage. Although the sexual content is not overly graphic, it does contain LGBTQ scenes that may be offensive to some readers. The descriptions of the effects from hallucinations may be offensive, as well, because they are graphic. I do not recommend this book to readers who dislike profanity as there is an abundance of it in the book.

Hollywood Expats
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Looks like a good book. Gret job on the review- I may just have to flip through this one. Thanks for the help
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

For a relationship to survive both parties have to work through their feelings of distrust, jealousy, envy and the rest. Great review.
chinaappleamui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by chinaappleamui »

Thank you for this review. I also do not like movies or books that jump around in time. It can get very confusing for me and ruin the flow.
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

Seems like a book I will enjoy. Great review!
talli_5
Currently Reading: Royal Assassin
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by talli_5 »

Sounds like an interesting, modern, action packed story. Although I'd say a book containing LGBTQ content is always welcome as it makes the world seem more real to me, especially in a setting of A-list celebrities.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Sounds like a typical boring one. Sorry, I'd pass. Thanks for the review though.
Uzzy_Reviews

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”