Official Review: Solomon The Accountant by Edward M. Krauss

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: Solomon The Accountant by Edward M. Krauss

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Solomon The Accountant" by Edward M. Krauss.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Two stories unfold — one of undying love and devotion and another of daring love and faith. In Solomon The Accountant by Edward M. Krauss, these stories take root, and a compelling tale of love, tears, and hope comes to fruition. Solomon The Accountant might seem like a typical romance story, but the devil is in the details. The unexpected way the story unfolds, the rich Yiddish cultural heritage, and the dreamy scenery of the 1950s all combine to create a wholesome and satisfying narrative.

Molly is a young widow whose young marriage has just ended due to an unexpected tragedy. However, she must move on. But how soon is too soon, and how does she overcome the guilt of letting go? Solomon is a culprit whose sin is loving someone who once belonged to another. He is, however, determined to continue with his pursuit in the hope that love will win in the end. Herman and Deborah are in love, but there is a divide — a huge gulf between them. While Deborah is unwavering in her stand, Herman is hesitant to join her. They both have to find a solution rooted in love and understanding. This book tells the tale of two couples united by friendship, a common heritage, and a quest to find happiness.

As mentioned earlier, though the plotline is easily predictable (at least for one of the couples), the journey to the final destination is the intriguing element in this book. The social-cultural dynamics of the Yiddish background of the characters don't heavily influence the narrative. In fact, the characters are 'modern' in their outlook and conduct. There were no matchmakers, no awkward first dates, no strong family influence in the young ones' lives, and no strict observance of Yiddish rituals. This is not to say that the sense of community was absent; it was ever-present. We see a synergy between the ancient and the modern, enriched by capitalist America's spirit and rooted in beliefs dating back to thousands of years. That sense of responsibility permeates throughout the book, and its result is heartwarming.

An interesting point to note about this book is the presence of a narrator who lays down the facts and invites the reader to enjoy this fascinating tale. From time to time, he reminds us of his presence, drawing us in as if revealing a secret. Another point is the unique sentence structure with its 'eastern Europe flavor' and Yiddish filler words that give it a unique air and tugs at the heart of readers within the community; thus, eliciting a smile from time to time and a sense of being represented. The author also used dialogues extensively, which endears the characters to the reader, as their personalities and degree of relationships can be interpreted through these conversations. Readers unfamiliar with the culture are not left out, as certain words and concepts are explained. Finally, there is a beautiful flow of the narrative from chapter to chapter, creating a slow yet heavy passage of events.

I had a couple of issues with the book. First, there were many errors. Sadly, most of the errors are typos, nothing too jarring. However, for an 84-page book, I expected to see little to no grammatical errors. I felt a tad disappointed. Secondly, the spellings of some words like 'chupa' and 'kipoh' appear to be faulty, as they are missing some letters. There are, of course, varying alternatives to the spellings, but none of them were used. Finally, the chapters' arrangement was an issue for me, as the ending of one chapter and the beginning of another tend to be on the same page. I would suggest this book be reformatted and re-edited to fix these issues.

This book is definitely for readers of romance. It is mature and yet edgy, with some funny exchanges in between. As I said, it is modern and not ladened with religious observation and symbolism, so its readers aren't confined. Any lover of romantic novels will find it to their taste. I will rate this book a 3 out of 4. I deducted a point due to the reasons I stated in the preceding paragraph.

Solomon The Accountant
View: on Bookshelves
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

I'm not usually into reading the romance genre, but this book sounds different and engaging. Your excellent review entices me to check this out! I'm adding this book to my want-to-read shelf.
Sejall7_
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sejall7.html
Latest Review: Everyone Needs a Companion by Jerry A Greenberg

Post by Sejall7_ »

I love reading books of the romance genre. Although I am not in favour of cliché books, I am willing to give this book a try. Thank you for this amazing review!
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

This seems like a love story with a bit of a twist. Romance has always tickled my fancy and i feel i would enjoy reading this book because of the amazing and detailed descriptions in the review.
nwaobifrancesca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaobifrancesca.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by nwaobifrancesca »

This storyline sounds very interesting and touching. It doesn't seem like the everyday kind of romance we often read about. Thanks for your excellent review.
deanpearl71
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by deanpearl71 »

novels are not really for me, but I think I would like to read this book!
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

Romantic novels are the best. This one seems like a worthwhile read. Thank you for your review.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

Romantic novels make me believe in true love the more. I wouldn't mind picking this book. Great review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”