Official Review: Come Back To Me by Pat Rice

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Official Review: Come Back To Me by Pat Rice

Post by Chelsey Coles »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Come Back To Me" by Pat Rice.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Come Back to Me by Pat Rice is a romance novel. Dianna Al’Lisa aka Lisa is a famous, well-to-do model and singer for 20/20 records. During her life of champagne parties and luxury, she meets Michael. Michael and Lisa’s personal lives are intertwined as their families are from the same social circle. She endures abuse and neglect at his hands for their sake. One day she decides to end things for good, disinviting him from her upcoming birthday bash, which will be the talk of the town. During the party, Lisa decides to take her friend’s advice and let loose to compensate for the pain of her breakup. She strikes instant chemistry with Philip, a potential business venture turned one-night-stand! After a night of passion, she is mortified at her actions and hastily calls off the business arrangement she just ruined. Philip assures her that he began with deeper feelings than the intention of temporary.

This casual, no-strings-attached arrangement of theirs does not last long. Fast forward and they are happily married with twins: a boy and a girl. Trouble in paradise arises one day when Philip’s plane gets into an accident. He seems to disappear for months. Lisa is the only one who insists her husband is still alive and keeps the search ongoing. Her bodyguard tracks Phillip down at a woman’s tea farm and he is seemingly physically unharmed. However, he has lost his memory and identity and seems in no rush to return to the life he has just been informed he has. Will Philip regain his memory? Will husband and wife maintain their connection? To find out, you know what to do!

My rating is 2 out of 4 stars. One star is removed due to the errors; I found more than ten. This book will need a critical round of re-editing for grammar and typos. I also have a note for prospective readers who will be taking this review opportunity using a Kindle device: I chose the PDF format that was available at the time and converted it to a MOBI file (more Kindle-friendly). Though this makes the text more responsive for use, it forces it out of its natural format, so you may see misalignment that can be mistaken for an error. I made sure that the errors I counted were not a result of file conversion. Moving on, I also subtracted one star for plot development and style.

The plot's rising and falling actions are drawn out too long because of the writing style. At times it is overly descriptive, which makes the progression into these moments that should be exciting seem belabored. I find there is too much content dedicated to minute details that made it less enjoyable for me. For example: in Chapter 5 Lisa gets ready for a date for an entire page. It is recommended that the author use writing space in considering which details are truly important and which ones are not. Despite the negative aspects of the details, there are positive ones; this will be one of the most in-depth romances you will read for a while. Between flashbacks and monologues, the reader is provided with plenty of background for Philip and Lisa's life.

Beware, this book is only appropriate for mature audiences! There is severe profanity, though there is no major violence. One more warning… readers must be able to tolerate explicit, steamy adult content! For those that are in the mood, this is the perfect title to cuddle up with privately. There's quite a bit of media, entertainment, and political references as well. Come Back To Me is a perfect glimpse into the "high-end" superstar lifestyle because both Lisa and Philip maintain high social stratospheres. Despite their standings, this couple proves that wealth has nothing to do with hardships because the wealthy are human just like everyone else. There are lovely moments when I forgot how rich and affluent they were, and identified with the matters of their hearts quite vividly. I hope this book can do that for others as well.

Come Back To Me
View: on Bookshelves
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

This book sounds intriguing. I’m curious to learn if Phillip recovers his memory. Thank you for your informative and great review!
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

Thank you for this helpful review! It can be distracting when there is a significant amount of spelling and grammatical errors. I agree that it's difficult to stay engaged while reading a story when rising and falling actions in plots feel awkwardly skewed.
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

Romance fictions are usually enjoyable due to the interesting plot twist. 'Come back to me' seem to have that interesting plot twist and I'd love to give it a read.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Amnesia and a potential memory loss always poses unique problems for the loved ones of such a victim. Interested to see how this one played out. Greater review.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

The plot sounds quite interesting. High-end life, amnesia and a desire to restore a broken family. I hope the author acts on your review to add to the enjoyment of this book. Thank you for such a candid review!
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

Thank you for your review. Although you rated it "good" because you gave it 2, I will still give this book a chance to be read😊.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”