Official Review: The Obstacle by Lionel Boucher

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Official Review: The Obstacle by Lionel Boucher

Post by Praise George-kayode »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Obstacle" by Lionel Boucher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Can there ever be a balance between loyalty and following one’s heart? The Obstacle by Lionel Boucher is a 247-page romance novel. It explores themes like pride, wealth, poverty, and timeless love.

It was love at first sight between Christine Barkley and Frank Lawson, even though they were socially distant. Christine was an aristocrat from one of the wealthiest homes in New York. She was the only heir to the Barkley Empire. Frank, on the other hand, was poor and uneducated. He was the last surviving child of his hailing mother. The two face opposition from Donald Barkley, Christine’s dominant father, who blatantly refuses to approve of their relationship. Donald sends Christine to Harvard Business School to separate them. Determined to realize their dream of getting married, they decide to fight for their love through adversities. For thirteen years, they each try to advance in life to the best of their abilities. When things appear to be working in their favor a few months to their wedding, life throws at them the unexpected. What is the fate of these two-crossed lovers? Can love truly conquer all? Find out more in this intriguing novel.

The writing style was simple and the plot uncomplicated. This made the story easy to follow. Initially, the storyline was more of a cliché love story, where a pauper falls in love with a princess. But then the author introduced a twist that changed the whole story. You will think you know how the story will end, but trust me, you don’t. I liked how the author also included his personal story. It was inspiring.

Frank was willing to give his best, but no one was willing to take a bet on him. Lionel’s description of poverty would make one wish wealth was more evenly distributed in our society. My favorite character was Christine. She was free-spirited, and I could not get enough of her. I love how she had a mind of her own, even at a young age. I also like Sarah, Christine’s mother. She epitomizes how the job of being a wife and a mother can be conflicting. It was a struggle not to go against her husband while trying to do what was best for her daughter.

In conclusion, there is nothing I dislike about the book. It was professionally edited, as I found only a few grammatical errors. Therefore, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to lovers of romance novels.

The Obstacle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

I'm a huge fan of romance fiction and I'm already in love with the storyline here. I really would want to find out what happened to these lovers.

Great review.
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

This sounds like an romance with interesting plot. Great review. Thank you for your hard work.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m very interested now to find out what the twist is. Thanks for the great review!
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

It would seem indeed quite a cliché story, but now I am curious to find about the plot twist that caught your attention. Nice review!
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Romance novels where lovers have to ultimately fight for the love they profess end up to be really inspiring for me. Great review.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I was interested in looking at this book from looking at the cover picture. After reading your review I’d love to find out more and how things fit together.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I'm glad to read that it is more than just a cliche love story. At first, I wondered what else there was to the story when I read that they did get married. However, it seems the author does a good job of making this an interesting story. Thank you for a lovely review!
Grampy
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grampy.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Grampy »

I love romance book. I am already captivated! thanks for the review and sharing.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”