Official Review: Caught in a Cornish Scandal

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Official Review: Caught in a Cornish Scandal

Post by SamaylaM »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Caught in a Cornish Scandal" by Eleanor Webster.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To protect her family from financial ruin and her sister from the hands of a cruel Lord, Millicent Lansdowne takes off to the tumultuous sea in the dead of the stormy night to smuggle. On the way, she sees a helpless man flailing and drowning in the dark waters. Following instinct, she pulls him up to her boat, bloodied and vomiting, and saves his life. When she faces the smugglers on the approaching ship, however, they consider him to be a loose end. Forced at gunpoint, both Millie and the man are taken to the ship as prisoners. The man turns out to be the handsome Mr. Sam Garrett, Millie's deceased brother's friend. Their attraction sizzles within the rolling waves and dingy confines of the ship. Suddenly, the ship jolts, and loud shots penetrate the night chillingly. Can Millie and Sam save themselves and their families from the chaotic world of smuggling? What happens when the beauty of love is entwined with corruption, death, angst, and scandal?

Caught in a Cornish Scandal by Eleanor Webster is a gripping slow-burn and mystery romance novel set in Cornwall, 1818. From the very first page of the book, the tale that the author weaved had me hooked. The story of Millie and Sam was set against numerous obstacles. Belonging to different social standings, they had to fight their desire for each other among the deadly turmoil encircling them. But every time they came close, with increasing feelings, all seemed right in their world. The book portrayed issues in society such as financial defamation and misused powers of influential people. Nevertheless, it also portrayed women's empowerment and social welfare.

There were multiple aspects of this book that I loved. The author’s writing style was vivid, engaging, and coherent. The pull between Millie and Sam was instant, but the growth of their feelings into love was shown meaningfully. Twists and turns in their relationship came throughout the whole book in such a way that I swiftly finished one chapter in anticipation of the next. Moreover, the main antagonist in this story was not typical, and the climax had me at the edge of my seat. Millie was undoubtedly my favorite character. She had immense inner strength and grew very much over the chapters as she gradually realized it. One conversation worth mentioning is when Millie’s mother says, “A single woman is not respected by society.” To this, one of Millie’s replies was: “Hopefully, society will change some time. Meanwhile, I suppose I must settle for my own respect.”

There was not anything in this book that I disliked. The work seemed edited well as I found very few errors. They did not hamper my delight in reading the story, and thus, the book made for an excellent read. But because of having violence, profanities, and sexual content, it would not be a suitable read for younger audiences.

In conclusion, I would gladly award Caught in a Cornish Scandal by Eleanor Webster with 4 out of 4 stars. This book not only showed love in different forms but also that romantic love can occur in the most unusual and unexpected circumstances. Furthermore, the adventures and mishaps faced by the characters added more depth to the story. Hence, this book earned its perfect rating. I would highly recommend this book to readers who like historical fiction, romantic suspense, and adventure stories. In only 281 pages, they will find themselves enjoying Millie and Sam's tale very much.

“He trusted Millie. At times, he doubted his own mind, his sister’s sanity and whether Mrs. Ludlow was friend or foe, but his trust in Millie remained constant. She was a source of sanity in a world gone mad.” – Caught in a Cornish Scandal [Pg – 151]

Caught in a Cornish Scandal
View: on Bookshelves
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Thanks for the great reading suggestion. The plot and characters seem well thought out.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I admire Millicent's courage to get her family out of poverty and to save the man drowning at sea. I'd love to read more about her. Thanks for the great review.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I'm not a big fan of romance, but this book sounds really exciting so I might give it a try. Thanks for the great review!
Mevin Nyamache
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: Butterfly awakens
Bookshelf Size: 36
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Mevin Nyamache »

I admire millicent's understanding and courage that she saved the drowning man and her family from poverty, so romantic.Thanks for the review
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Sounds great. Sam and Millie are in love and trying to survive and rescue. Thank you for a great review. And it will be even better to read it with the engaging writing style.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This is such an intriguing story, having a bit of romance mixed with crime is quite fascinating. I'll add this to my bookshelf. Thanks for a beautiful review.
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

This seems an engaging romance novel, and from your review, it seems very well written. Thanks for your detailed insight!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Millicent sounds like such a warm and loving individual, a family member we all need. Her will to protect her loved ones has earned her a golden horn from me. Thank you for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:

Post by SamaylaM »

markodim721 wrote: 25 May 2021, 07:39 Thanks for the great reading suggestion. The plot and characters seem well thought out.
Thank you for commenting! :)
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:

Post by SamaylaM »

El_limitless wrote: 25 May 2021, 14:00 I admire Millicent's courage to get her family out of poverty and to save the man drowning at sea. I'd love to read more about her. Thanks for the great review.
Lovely to know!
Thank you so much for reading! :D
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:

Post by SamaylaM »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 25 May 2021, 23:03 I'm not a big fan of romance, but this book sounds really exciting so I might give it a try. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for stopping by! :)
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:

Post by SamaylaM »

Mevin Nyamache wrote: 26 May 2021, 00:19 I admire millicent's understanding and courage that she saved the drowning man and her family from poverty, so romantic.Thanks for the review
Thanks so much for your feedback!
:tiphat:
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:

Post by SamaylaM »

Kavita Shah wrote: 26 May 2021, 00:23 Sounds great. Sam and Millie are in love and trying to survive and rescue. Thank you for a great review. And it will be even better to read it with the engaging writing style.
I agree it will be a great read!
Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts! :D
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:

Post by SamaylaM »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 26 May 2021, 01:09 This is such an intriguing story, having a bit of romance mixed with crime is quite fascinating. I'll add this to my bookshelf. Thanks for a beautiful review.
Wonderful to know!
Thank you for your comment! :)

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”