Official Review: The illusion of forever

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: The illusion of forever

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The illusion of forever" by Rolf van der Wind.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

John's move to Sweden seems to offer a chance at redemptive love. With a past filled with heartbreaks and unfulfilled dreams, perhaps his life would take a turn for the better. John is unapologetic about his faults and appreciates how he has grown, but life still has a lot in stock for him. Just like the tides of the ocean, his love life is turbulent, with its highs and lows. Love is gained and lost twice. How much can a broken heart genuinely take? Will John find meaning in the tragedies that assailed him, or will he be swept away by the tides? The Illusion of Forever by Rolf van der Wind follows John on his journey to realizing that 'happily ever after' are words for fairy-tale endings.

The Illusion of Forever is more than just a love story. It is about the twists and turns of life, the lessons we learn from the good, the bad, the ugly, and the struggle between the selfish ego and the romantic self. It is a highly personalized tale, slightly bordering on the philosophical with a poetic flair. The Illusion of Forever is the meeting point of realism and fantasy — a tale rich and inspiring and yet not devoid of sadness. John's personality, flaws, and hopes live through the pages. Perhaps, we might even judge his impulses. In the end, it is a story of one man's journey that speaks to us differently.

The beauty of this book is its narrative style. Although it might sound philosophical at some points, the straightforward descriptive manner, the purity of the dialogues, and the meaningfulness of everything make it an enjoyable read. The story isn't long, and the chapters are neatly organized. There is also an added beauty, especially in the dialogues, with the unique English pattern spoken by characters who aren't native speakers. In an ever-busy world, where people hardly find time, this book is a perfect fit for pleasure reading. The surprising turn of events is sure to keep the reader glued to the pages, and perhaps, valuable life lessons can also be learned.

The organization of this book is neat and concise. However, there are a plethora of errors therein. Apart from the grammatical errors, there seems to be an absence of cohesion in the sentence structures. The vocabularies are apt, but a certain mastery is missing. I often have an idea of what is being said, but the sentences don't seem quite right. This clearly shows the author's first language isn't English. Sequel to that, this book needs thorough editing by someone with a good command of English so that meanings aren't 'lost in translation.' One of the phrases I found particularly confusing is "a time ago," which was used in several places in the book. Many examples like this abound, and they interrupt the smooth flow of reading.

I will recommend this book to readers who are partial to realistic stories. There is an element of romance, star-crossed love, and a poetic resolution. Readers looking for something short and entertaining to pass the time will find this book a worthy companion. Finally, I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Although navigating through the errors makes it a chore to read, its message is not lost.

The illusion of forever
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

That's a beautiful storyline. One cannot wonder how much can a broken heart take. Thank you for an insightful review!
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I was immediately intrigued by the title of the book. Hopefully the author can have an editor fix the errors in the book because this sounds like a beautiful read. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
zayyyna
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zayyyna.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by zayyyna »

the storyline of the book ,iz what make you connected to the book ,and this book has a very beautifull storyline, The illusion of flower ,the name in its self is very lovely .
Justin Simon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Justin Simon »

Just like the review works, it paints a clear picture of the author's position and the book it's self.
Nice work
Alana Rey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alana-rey.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Tayma Tameem

Post by Alana Rey »

It seems like this story has lot of depth and emotions in it. I would really like to read it.
Omeri Jeremiah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Omeri Jeremiah »

I like how emotions are clearly outlined. It seems the book is very interesting.
renita_

Post by renita_ »

The storyline is good, we can get emotional while reading it. To me this is an interesting book
Kcee003

Post by Kcee003 »

Must be really emotional,,
Would really love to read the book
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

If this book could spark up emotions, I think it'll be a good one.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

You are looking for a book that will get you emotional and also a romantic one? Then you should check out this book. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

Great review! I was captivated by the title itself. I truly hope the book lives up to my expectations.
Theexceptional
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theexceptional.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Theexceptional »

I particularly love the book's cover. Lovely review as well.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

I love that the story was plausible. Amazing review.
Tim Toby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tim-toby.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Tim Toby »

This would be a good book to read with all the emotions
Thanks for the review

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”