Review of At the Chameleon, Turn

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Review of At the Chameleon, Turn

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "At the Chameleon, Turn" by Victoria Carisimo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ethan is a handsome and famous movie star with an incredibly stressful life. Every aspect of his existence is planned for him. Everywhere he goes, the paparazzi hound him as do the over-zealous fans. Women are constantly throwing themselves at him and declaring their love. Everyone seems to want something. Because of this and a secret from his past, only a few people are trusted anymore. Although this way of life was embraced and appreciated at the beginning, he has become disillusioned with it.

One day, while attending a benefit luncheon in Adelaide, Australia, where he had mysteriously been drawn, he met Ariel, a beautiful, young midwife. He felt an instant attraction. She seemed to possess some unusual abilities; Ethan’s migraine instantly disappeared upon her touch. His elderly assistant, Scott, doesn’t trust her and is convinced that she is wicked and has placed a spell on Ethan. Scott initiates a furtive investigation of her. Ethan’s gorgeous and sexy co-star, Eva, advises him that Ariel is just a commoner and doesn’t belong in their world. However, his sister Lucy, who has her own secrets, thinks Ariel is good for Ethan. We know for certain that Ariel is very mysterious and there is more to her than meets the eye. What is she concealing?

At the Chameleon, Turn by Victoria Carisimo is a 621-page book told from the third-person point of view, mostly from Ethan’s perspective. It is listed in the romance genre but also possesses paranormal and metaphysical elements. The necklace in the picture on the cover and the title of the book represent mysteries in the story that are explained by the end of the novel. The tale is fascinating with themes of deception, forgiveness, loyalty, being true to yourself, and not letting the past or fear define you. The author’s prose is well organized, descriptive, and easy to understand. For instance, occasionally the story will jump forward several months. The author always informs the reader when this happens, making it easy to follow the timeline.

The character development in the story is superb. Ms. Carisimo demonstrates an excellent ability to entice the reader into the tale. One feels as if they know the characters. The reader can sense Ethan’s disenchantment with his life. You can also perceive the magnetism between Ethan and Ariel and his uncertainty concerning what to do about it. The author incorporates a wide range of emotions into the narrative. Each of the main characters is believable with multiple layers. Even most of the less likable ones are described in such a way that you can better comprehend their actions, making them more credible.

Sadly, I encountered too many errors in the story. Most of these were punctuation errors. An example is, “No Ariel I don’t feel confident.” This should have been written as, “No, Ariel. I don’t feel confident.” However, grammatical errors were discovered as well. Although these didn’t interfere with my reading enjoyment, there were definitely more than 10; it could use the assistance of a professional editor. Another small issue I had was there were things said in Spanish or Italian occasionally that were not always translated into English. I used a Spanish dictionary several times to comprehend the dialogue. It wouldn’t take much to fix that concern.

Because of the errors, At the Chameleon, Turn receives a rating of three out of four stars. If the errors are corrected, I think it would deserve a four-star rating. I enthusiastically recommend the book to readers who appreciate romance novels with some intermixed supernatural elements. If romance or paranormal stories aren’t what the reader enjoys, then they might want to look elsewhere. Sensitive people need to be aware that definite profanities and rather explicit sex scenes were encountered in the novel. Subsequently, it is only suitable for adults.

At the Chameleon, Turn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

You have piqued my interest with your interesting review! I would like to know what Ariel hides. Maybe she is a mermaid :). Thank you for your recommendation!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 02:39 You have piqued my interest with your interesting review! I would like to know what Ariel hides. Maybe she is a mermaid :). Thank you for your recommendation!
You will need to read the story to find out. :wink2: Thanks for stopping by, my friend, and reading my review!
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

I'll be adding this wonderful romance novel to my bookshelves. Awesome review. I liked the way you summarized the story. Thank you for your hard work.
Omeri Jeremiah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Omeri Jeremiah »

Woow. I'll need to read this book just to know what Ariel is hiding. I like your review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Ariel, Ethan, necklace – sounds like The little mermaid. But it's completely different. With another round of editing it has a lot of potential as the story sounds great. Thank you for a great review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

sharon titus wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 09:51 I'll be adding this wonderful romance novel to my bookshelves. Awesome review. I liked the way you summarized the story. Thank you for your hard work.
Thank you for your kind words. I hope you enjoy the book!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Omeri Jeremiah wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 10:20 Woow. I'll need to read this book just to know what Ariel is hiding. I like your review.
I hope you get a chance to read it! Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kavita Shah wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 10:43 Ariel, Ethan, necklace – sounds like The little mermaid. But it's completely different. With another round of editing it has a lot of potential as the story sounds great. Thank you for a great review!
There was actually a reference to her name being like Ariel in The Little Mermaid in the book, but it is a totally different story. Thanks for taking the time to read my review and comment!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Although romances are not my favorite genre, I like the fact that a lot of effort has been put into character development. Thanks for the great review.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This seems like an interesting story. It's a shame that there are so many errors. Great review!
Maria541986
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maria541986 »

By the name I thought it's an another mermaid story .but it is different ... So many turns ...liked it
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

wow seems like an interesting romance novel.I think Ariel has a supernatural power. I will add this book to my shelve. Thanks for the beautiful review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

markodim721 wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 10:09 Although romances are not my favorite genre, I like the fact that a lot of effort has been put into character development. Thanks for the great review.
I really appreciated that as well. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 11:05 This seems like an interesting story. It's a shame that there are so many errors. Great review!
There weren't a ton of errors, but there were definitely more than ten. Therefore, I was not permitted to give it a perfect score. Another round of editing should take care of them.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”