Review of Escape To Live

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review of Escape To Live

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Escape To Live" by sharon E Allen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Relationship abuse is all too common in our world today, and though each story has similarities, they're all unique in their individual ways. In Escape to Live by Sharon Allen, readers are taken on a whirlwind journey of love, lost love, and self-discovery.

The main character in the story is Amber, a woman with a life that is well put together and a successful career. The only thing she lacks is a partner to share her life with until she meets Pierce Aston. Pierce is an attractive single man who's vying for Amber’s attention and a chance to prove to her that he can make her happy. Amber is swept away by the romance and affection and soon falls head over heels for Pierce, just like he assured her she would. Though it sets the pace for a happily ever after, Pierce significantly changes as the story goes on and his jealousy and abuse start to override the love and affection.

Told in a similar fashion as Gone Girl, Amber is forced to escape from her marriage in order to keep her life. Though Amber's abuse is real and traumatic, she knows no other way out than to fake her own murder and flees. Ideally, Amber knows she should lay low and avoid any kind of personal connections to avoid being tracked down by her abusive husband. She's beginning a new normal, until the day she meets Mike. Mike's words are filled with promises of happiness and comfort, and Amber can't help herself from falling into the caves of emotion once again. Her identity is still hidden, and he seems to have some secrets of his own. Will Amber be able to stay hidden from Pierce's abuse, or will she fall victim to another form of abuse in the secrets Mike is keeping?

I was especially fond of Amber's resilient personality throughout this story, highlighted by her strength and determination to get away from an abusive situation. I think her character presented qualities that were profound and inspiring, specifically when she knew that if her husband was ever convicted of her murder, she planned to return and do the right thing. The author presented each character significantly unique and they each portrayed realistic qualities that represented who they were in real life. The presentation of Pierce was well-developed in a way to show readers that he could not be trusted for any amount of honesty, which played out exactly as his character should have. There were a few noticeable grammatical errors while reading, including incorrect usage of your/you're, man/men, woman/women, but nothing significant enough to take the enjoyment away from reading.

Escape to Live is a story that has a little bit of something for all readers including romance, drama, suspense, and crime. I'm happily sharing my rating of 4 out of 4 stars for Escape to Live and would recommend it to any reader looking for an inspiring and realistic story that is both captivating and suspenseful. The story does contain some triggering subjects that could be difficult for some readers, so I would only recommend reading it if readers are capable of investing their time into a story that divulges into the dark side of abusive relationships.

Escape To Live
View: on Bookshelves
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

The cover of the book opens up to what is inside and I love it. Amber's determination is that to be emulated and I think emotions can betray one's greatest secrets. Nice review.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

It sounds like an interesting story. I really struggle with reading abuse of any kind, so will be skipping this one. Thank you for an informative review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Lawrence Chitoma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lawrence Chitoma »

Abuse stories are rarely taken serious but am glad to be able to know that people out there are talking about abusive relationship and I'd love to read the whole book.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”