Review of Vanessa's Niece

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Review of Vanessa's Niece

Post by 63tty »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vanessa's Niece" by H Horace Broomes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Vanessa's Niece by H Horace Broomes is a book about the growth and maturation of a young boy, Jakey. Jakey is now an adult, and the author recants from the times when Jakey was a teenager to when he is an adult. He has three grandmothers and a big extended family in his childhood years. His childhood was all about religion, penance, and getting disciplined. However, when Jakey became a teenager, he met Vanessa, an older woman to whom he attributes most of his lessons about relationships. Vanessa later passes away, but before that, she introduced Jakey to various sexual acts. Later, he meets some of Vanessa's nieces, whom he has sexual encounters with as well. Jakey matures and learns things are different from what he knew as a teenager. Will Jakey have a healthy relationship as an adult considering his track record?

I loved that this book touches on sensitive topics such as sexual abuse and molestation. Furthermore, the book's setting is in the Caribbean, and it is rich in aspects of Caribbean culture. I learned of the different dishes they eat. What was elevating was how the children had to eat their grandmothers' foods whenever they visited. I also loved that the author builds up the story from Jakey's childhood while including minor details, which attributes to the plot.

However, there were a couple of things that I did not like about the book. First, the dialogue is in the Caribbean accent, and as a person who is not familiar with such, this became tedious and time-consuming as I tried to decipher how to sound the accent. Unfortunately, I could not find a way to crack it other than writing down what I had translated then referring to it later as I read. I also did not appreciate Jakey's sexual behavior. It was unrealistic for a teen, considering the strictness of adults in the Caribbean as described by the author. Moreover, there were so many characters at the beginning of the book with nicknames that I lost track.

For all the above reasons, I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The book was written in perfect grammar and with good and detailed descriptions, apart from the dialogue, which was a writing style. It seemed professionally edited since I did not find any errors. I would have given it a perfect rating were it not for the challenges I encountered, which stressed and interrupted my reading flow.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in learning or reading about Caribbean culture. A person raised in the Caribbean would find some aspects of this book relatable. It is also essential for a reader to decipher the dialogue first before reading through it. Vanessa's Niece is not a book for those repelled by descriptions of sexual abuse and molestation, which is rampant.

Vanessa's Niece
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I would like to find put more about the Caribbean culture and food. Thank you for this interesting review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The book has a very bold theme. I like that the author incorporated aspects of Caribbean culture into the book.
63tty

Post by 63tty »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 12:00 I would like to find put more about the Caribbean culture and food. Thank you for this interesting review!
You're welcome and thanks for the comment.
~Lily Tomlin
Vishnu Priya B
Currently Reading: The Unwanted Guest
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishnu-priya-b.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

I love your thorough analysis of the book. Although the theme is outspoken, it seems like the book needs to be a bit more organised.
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Gemjay »

Your review is amazing but I think I'll have to pass because of the rampant sexual encounters.
63tty

Post by 63tty »

markodim721 wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 12:32 The book has a very bold theme. I like that the author incorporated aspects of Caribbean culture into the book.
Yes indeed. It is a well-thought-out book. Thanks for the comment.
~Lily Tomlin
63tty

Post by 63tty »

Vishnu Priya B wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 04:28 I love your thorough analysis of the book. Although the theme is outspoken, it seems like the book needs to be a bit more organised.
Oh but it was fine.
~Lily Tomlin
63tty

Post by 63tty »

Gemjay wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 02:29 Your review is amazing but I think I'll have to pass because of the rampant sexual encounters.
Okay😁
Good idea.
~Lily Tomlin
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

Jakey just might have a hard time finding a normal relationship because of his past. I wonder where Jakey ends up and if he is able to find a normal and stable relationship. Lovely review!
63tty

Post by 63tty »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 07:58 Jakey just might have a hard time finding a normal relationship because of his past. I wonder where Jakey ends up and if he is able to find a normal and stable relationship. Lovely review!
Guess you gotta read it to find out.
~Lily Tomlin

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”