Review of Black And White Rainbows

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of Black And White Rainbows

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Black And White Rainbows" by Karen Robineau.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Growing up in a housing project teetering on the edge of poverty, Katie doesn’t get any love and affection from her mother. Thankfully, she has some friends who fill this role in her life, especially Sam and Jeanie. The bond between them is strong. Even after Katie’s family relocates, they stay in touch by writing letters to each other. When Katie experiences tragedy for the first time―three members of her family die―she finds comfort in her mentor, Mr. Goodhue. Katie devotes her time to taking care of him and eventually relocates with him after he suffers a stroke. The next phase of her life sees her push on to study for a degree in interior decoration, but it seems that tragedy is lurking wherever she turns. Besides Sam, Jeanie, and Goodhue, does Katie ever find genuine and enduring love from the people around her? Does the influx of tragedy ever stop? Find out in this emotional rollercoaster.

Black and White Rainbows by Karen Robineau was written in the first-person and third-person perspectives about a colorful and vibrant character named Katie. As I read her story, I encountered both joy and sadness in her journey. I could feel her grief when she lost her family, even though they never really loved her. When comfort came in the form of Mr. Goodhue, I appreciated how it changed the course of her life. Katie was by far my favorite character in this story. I understand that’s not a surprising thing to say about any story’s central character. Still, her experiences gave meaning and depth to the plot in the way she went through a lot of tragedies but never lost her spirit and vibrant nature.

I have to commend Karen’s writing. She strung words together that made the most sense for whatever emotion she was trying to convey at any given point. Also, the pacing of the plot was just right. She didn’t try to rush the reader through Katie’s experiences, nor did she spend an inordinate amount of time trying to flesh out her character. I also enjoyed Katie’s friendships―Sam and Jeanie come to mind―before tragedy came into the picture. The fact that they stayed connected even as life’s situations worsened was inspiring.

The author’s writing kept me guessing. There were numerous points in the story where I felt like I could see a happy ending on the horizon, only for the plot to take an unexpected turn. There always seemed to be new challenges, unexpected twists, and additional complications. At the end of my reading, I was glad Karen did that because it helped keep the book exciting until the end.

There was nothing worth disliking about this book. I found only one clear-cut grammatical issue while reading, which means that it was edited to the highest quality. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone who has gone through or is currently going through tough times. This story is worth reading.

Black And White Rainbows
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Omark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omark »

The review sounds great.the author seems strong.i like this because author didn't give up.i have learned we have to be strong because strong wall shake bt never collapse.this is the best review I seen.thank you
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

Breaking the enigma of society is important. We have freedom to think. The idea of black rainbow is ground breaking. Thank you for such liberated review.
Humeyra Karakas
Currently Reading: How children learn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humeyra-karakas.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Humeyra Karakas »

The book seems captivating but I do not enjoy it when author uses tragedy throughout the book to keep the reader's attention. Thanks for the review though.
Ashley whyte

Post by Ashley whyte »

I like this story when I saw black an white I thought this was going to be about racist but it was about someone that needed help
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Lots of people break stereotypes and it seems like Katie is one of those people. Thanks for the great review.
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

The nicest aspect of this review, in my opinion, is that the author did not try to rush things or overemphasize her primary character. The surprising turns keep the story interesting. Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Well-written!
Jea7

Post by Jea7 »

i believe in this story that in every moment in life, there's through up and down. There will times that you will be happy and sad. Life will be uncertain. But in this moments, in this times, you can overcome this struggles and problems. I will rate this 5 out of 5. There's no reason to dislike this book because I think we will can relate to this.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

I love your view of the book. Not sure I would've seen it in that light though. Your review was very insightful.
Ashiraf Sserwadda
Currently Reading: Descendant Deception
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ashiraf Sserwadda »

Impressive , its so attouching as katie come to lose her family even though they never loved her .its a lesson as Katie experiences gave meaning and depth to the plot in the way she went through a lot of tragedies but never lost her spirit and vibrant nature.thanks for the review
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I guess family is still family no matter how distant it may be. Great storyline! Thanks for the review.
Debra Crawford
Favorite Book: This Girl
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Debra Crawford »

This book sounds captivating! I am a social worker, so sometimes it is difficult for me to read stories like this when I am surrounded by these types of stories and situations all day long with clients.
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

Your review has convinced me to give this book a go. I love what you mentioned about the author writing to convey particular emotions and I think it makes the reader feel more involved in the story and able to empathise with the character. Your description really does sound like never-ending turmoil for Katie. Thank you for the excellent review. Have a lovely day.
Hasti Desai
Favorite Book: The Shiva Trilogy
Currently Reading: Red, White and Royal Blue
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasti-desai.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Hasti Desai »

Oh my god! Thank you so much for this review. This book has always been on my tbr. Reading your review has me fuled to pick the book tomorrow itself!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”