Review of After Paris

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Review of After Paris

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "After Paris" by Sansing McPherson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's no wonder Marianna Gorbenko fled to London after a tumultuous year. Between her husband's devastating suicide and the secret fling with her teaching supervisor, Max, it was a much-needed escape. However, now that summer is winding down, it's time for Marianna to return home to New Jersey and face reality. A new teaching position awaits. Additionally, she must come to terms with Yuri's death and keep her affair with married Max under wraps.

Marianna thought the time away would offer her clarity, but she is more confused than ever. Despite being angry with Max for stringing her along, their lust-filled encounters always seem to make her forget why she was mad in the first place. Still, he needs to come clean to his wife—Marianna loathes being the other woman. So how will she navigate the stresses of a new job, her grief, and the shame of being Max's mistress? Find out what happens to Marianna in book two of the Sweat Sisters series.

After Paris by Sansing McPherson is a book about extra-marital love, friendship, and coming to terms with grief. While the novel is part of a series, it can be read as a standalone because the author provides ample information to bring readers up to speed. Sansing McPherson applies a third-person approach to storytelling. Readers follow Marianna Gorbenko as she struggles with heavy feelings—guilt for carrying on a secret affair and the loneliness that comes from being in relationship limbo. But the story isn't all doom and gloom; there are plenty of scenes to quench readers' thirst for romance. Additionally, we get to know Marianna's group of quirky friends who bring comedy and variety to the story.

Much like my love for the eclectic group of characters in the prequel, Sweat Sisters, the same personalities tugged at my heartstrings in the second installment. Marianna's friends, Lenny, Phoebe, and her aerobics buddies, were instrumental in keeping Marianna's sanity in check. As a newly widowed woman, living alone, with her son far away, these people became her family. Holiday get-togethers, house redecorating, and even exorcising away spirits were amongst the many ways they supported her.

Another thing that I loved was the unpredictability of Max and Marianna's relationship. They didn't just dip their toes into the perilous world of infidelity—they jumped right in! Would the couple sink or swim? I found this very intriguing.

There is nothing to dislike about the book. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I am looking forward to reading more from this author. Furthermore, the writing and editing were exceptional, and there were no spelling or grammatical errors. Therefore, I am delighted to give After Paris a rating of four out of four stars; it was immersive and addressed the complexities of adult relationships.

I would highly recommend this delightful novel to mature readers who enjoy character-driven books that focus on friendship and romance. However, this is not a whisk-you-off-your-feet, cookie-cutter type love story, so if that is what you're seeking, look elsewhere!

After Paris
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Shadow Song
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

What a well-written review, it gives answers to all my questions. It would be an interesting novel for me to read since I am a teacher, too, and I could relate...Complex adult relationships are what makes me want to read a book these days.
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

You have written an outstanding review. It seems that the plot is interesting and can hook the reader. I usually enjoy reading books about relationships so I will give this book a try. Thank you for your honest review.
Stephanie Elizabeth

Cristina M wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 06:15 What a well-written review, it gives answers to all my questions. It would be an interesting novel for me to read since I am a teacher, too, and I could relate...Complex adult relationships are what makes me want to read a book these days.
Thanks for your comment - I think this book will definitely resonate with you!
Stephanie Elizabeth

kperm wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 13:25 You have written an outstanding review. It seems that the plot is interesting and can hook the reader. I usually enjoy reading books about relationships so I will give this book a try. Thank you for your honest review.
Thanks for your thoughtful comment :)
Mimidee Vanilly
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimidee-vanilly.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by Mimidee Vanilly »

That's a well and detail reviewed, remarkable! I haven't read a book with romance genre, accept watching a movie 😃 But your review for this book chalenge me to read it. With complexity of the relationship made this book more interesting. Great job. 👏👏
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Marianna is going through too much with losing her husband and then the affair. Though honestly, I am a bit put off by her affair with a married man at that. I would like to know the circumstances around which this affair bloomed. Thanks for the beautiful review.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

There's a whole lot of romance and drama in this one. I bet you found it hard to put it down. Great job on the review, Stephanie 👏
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

Thanks for a great review. I just don't think that a book on infidelity is for me.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”