Review of Unintended Consequences

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review of Unintended Consequences

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unintended Consequences" by Scott Burnell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The police radio came to life, and Sergeant Dan O'Rourke heard the dreaded words no police officer wants to hear. "Shots fired. Shots fired! Officers down!" Sergeant O'Rourke was the first officer to arrive on the scene of what should have been a routine traffic stop but had turned into a murder. He finds an officer still in the patrol car critically injured, and Sergeant O'Rourke's son, Brian, lay dead in the gutter. Unintended Consequences by Scott Burnell is a story of tragedy, heartbreak, corruption, and romance.

Five years went by, and the police had not captured Brian's murderer. The man escaped to Mexico, where there is no extradition for crimes. Brian's sister, Heather, could not get past her brother's death, and she wanted justice for Brian. Without telling her parents, she got in touch with a man named Andy DiPaola and begged him to find the man who killed her brother and bring him back into the United States, where he would get arrested and tried for his crime. Andy did opposition research for politicians to get dirt on their opponents and keep them from winning an election. He knew how to get things done, but no one had ever asked him to do anything like this. After first saying no to Heather, Andy finally agreed to see what he could do. However, he instructed Heather she could tell no one and never contact him again, and she agreed. Will they both keep their promises to each other? Will there be justice for Brian?

Burnell successfully portrayed the emotions of each of the characters in the book. He made the reader feel the anger and grief Heather, and her parents felt over Brian's murder while at the same time adding a nearly perfect portrayal of a romance amid the chaos. What I liked most about this book was Andy's character. He knew how to get things done for his clients without revealing how he did it. He could be ruthless in his attempts to gather damaging information about someone that could ultimately ruin their reputation. He was generous to a fault with his friends. Andy would shower them with expensive gifts as his way of showing them how much he valued their relationship. It wasn't to stand out and get praised; it was because he genuinely cared.

The thing I disliked most about the book was the flow of some dialogue. In my opinion, some conversations came across as stiff and unnatural. Other times, they flowed nicely. The storyline was creative, but the dialogues that sounded unnatural felt like interruptions in the story. That is the only objection I have about this book.

I enjoyed reading this story despite the dialogue I disliked. The romance side of the book was too perfect, but it was refreshing not to have a relationship filled with emotions, jealousy, and suspicions. There were a few curse words throughout the book, and the scene of Brian's death was disturbing, but overall, the book was a good read, and it appears professionally edited, as I found only a few spelling errors and typos. Therefore, I am rating Unintended Consequences 4 out of 4 stars. I considered removing one star due to the dialogue issues mentioned above. However, as that is just my personal opinion, I decided against it. I recommend this book to those who love a perfect romance and those who enjoy a suspenseful read. I don't recommend the book to anyone under the age of sixteen because of the profanity.

Unintended Consequences
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I always look out for solid characters and character development in fiction and Andy fits the bill. He seems like a multilayered character.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

The character development throughout the book sounds interesting to say the least. This sounds like a compelling read!
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

I love characters like Andy. The mysterious way the work and the air of mysteriousness they carry is very attractive. Thank you for the in-depth review.
🌻🌼
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

Unnatural conversations or those that seem too stiff are most times a minus to an interesting book. I hope they can work on it. Thank you for this great review.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

Andy does seem like a character I would enjoy. Moreover, the lack of things like suspicion and jealousy are an added plus for me.
Thank you for a lovely review.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Michelle Fred wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 09:18 I always look out for solid characters and character development in fiction and Andy fits the bill. He seems like a multilayered character.
He is definitely a multilayered character! My only hesitation was that he was nearly perfect! Everyone has some flaw! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Deprise Evans wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 10:26 The character development throughout the book sounds interesting to say the least. This sounds like a compelling read!
It was a good read. I enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Priya_Singh wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 11:32 I love characters like Andy. The mysterious way the work and the air of mysteriousness they carry is very attractive. Thank you for the in-depth review.
🌻🌼
Thank you! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Chiwelite O wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 07:39 Unnatural conversations or those that seem too stiff are most times a minus to an interesting book. I hope they can work on it. Thank you for this great review.
Thank you! And thanks for reading my review and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Clare Jose wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 12:23 Andy does seem like a character I would enjoy. Moreover, the lack of things like suspicion and jealousy are an added plus for me.
Thank you for a lovely review.
Thank you! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Suspense in a book is rarely a bad thing. I also like the pursuit of justice inspiring this one. Great review, B. Creech 👌
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

RHD wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 22:03 Suspense in a book is rarely a bad thing. I also like the pursuit of justice inspiring this one. Great review, B. Creech 👌
Thank you so much! Thanks for commenting.
B. Creech
Abigail Baloyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Abigail Baloyi »

This book it gives a picture in my mind how Brian's sister was going through after her brother was murdered . This is what happens in real life. Great review!
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Abigail Baloyi wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 09:53 This book it gives a picture in my mind how Brian's sister was going through after her brother was murdered . This is what happens in real life. Great review!
Thanks! Yes, it is what happens in real life! My son was a police officer for 11 years and it was a constant worry. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”