Review of Unforgotten Dreams

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review of Unforgotten Dreams

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unforgotten Dreams" by Elizabeth Ann Thompson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Miranda Graaf returned home from college to help her mother, Justine, handle the day-to-day routine of running the family farm. Miranda's father, Stanley, was in the last stages of cancer and declining swiftly. Miranda had wanted to be a veterinarian from when she was a child, and she had almost made it. With only one semester left until graduation, Miranda quit college. She was having doubts about her fiance, Dylan, believing he had cheated on her. She was worried about her mother, Justine, who was trying to care for the farm and her dying husband alone. Justine had hired a man named Hank to help part-time on the farm with the animals. When Miranda first met Hank, there was a sudden mutual attraction between them. However, Miranda had too many problems to bring another one into her life.

After Stanley died, Miranda tried to keep things going on the farm. Justine had withdrawn into her grief, Dylan was pushing Miranda to get married, and Hank's presence kept Miranda on edge because of her attraction to him. After a tragedy struck at the farm, Miranda almost gave up. How would she ever get things back as they once were? Was she willing to sacrifice her dreams to keep the farm in the family as her parents had done? And what about her wedding? Would she marry Dylan, or would she give in to her feelings for Hank?

Elizabeth Ann Thompson did an outstanding job of character development in Unforgotten Dreams. My favorite character was the protagonist, Miranda. She is the example of a powerful female in some ways, yet in other ways, she is vulnerable. Miranda knew what her career aspirations were from the time she was a child, but when life threw her a curve, she was strong enough to take charge and do what she had to do, even if it meant giving up her dreams. A couple of times, her determination wavered, but she would shake it off and press on. After being injured during gymnastic practice, Tanya, Miranda's best friend, another strong female character, recovered at the farm. Having her best friend around was a comfort to Miranda, although Tanya encouraged Miranda to forget Dylan and give Hank a chance. Another favorite aspect of the book is how the story touched on various issues, such as homosexuality, infidelity, grief, friendship, and family values. And, of course, there was romance.

My only disappointment with the book was that Thompson emphasized the ending of one relationship more than the beginning of another one. To avoid any spoilers, I cannot elaborate further. I would have preferred to know more about the intricacies of a budding relationship and less about the details of a fading relationship.

I believe the author had the book professionally edited, as I found only one error. The storyline is intriguing, and the anticipation of how it would all end kept me turning page after page to find out. The ending did not disappoint me. I am happy to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for those reasons. I recommend this book primarily to teens and young adults because of the life lessons from characters in their early twenties. As an older adult, I also enjoyed reading this book.

Unforgotten Dreams
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

Miranda sounds like a wonderful character, well-balanced with confidence and vulnerability. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

I can't help but relate to Miranda's life already. Thank you for this nice review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

Been a while I read books about love, I think I would love to read this book. Great review.
Yasser Gewayfel
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Yasser Gewayfel »

Cancer is a terrifying and deadly disease, but there are moments when everyone needs each other
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Pearl Thomas wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 00:31 Miranda sounds like a wonderful character, well-balanced with confidence and vulnerability. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
Thank you! She is an excellent character. Thanks for stopping by!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Shilisia wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 08:18 I can't help but relate to Miranda's life already. Thank you for this nice review.
Thanks, and thank you for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

collinsogw555 wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 16:53 Been a while I read books about love, I think I would love to read this book. Great review.
Thank you! If you get the chance to read it I think you will enjoy it!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Yasser Gewayfel wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 14:46 Cancer is a terrifying and deadly disease, but there are moments when everyone needs each other
Absolutely! I had two sisters die of cancer and you are so right, everyone needs each other during those times! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Yasser Gewayfel
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Yasser Gewayfel »

B Creech if we are so healthy we always need who help and support us without them i guess death is relax for us
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Yasser Gewayfel wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 08:05 B Creech if we are so healthy we always need who help and support us without them i guess death is relax for us
That's true. I know when someone suffers death can be a welcome relief for them, I saw that with both of my sisters.
B. Creech
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Miranda sounds like an interesting character, I would love to read more about this book, I was captivated by the beautiful cover, thanks for the honest review.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Gabriella1997 wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 08:54 Miranda sounds like an interesting character, I would love to read more about this book, I was captivated by the beautiful cover, thanks for the honest review.
Thank you! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This story is captivating. Coping with family crises is not a good experience. This book seems like one I would love to read. Great review!
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

It seems like Miranda is such a strong character that has suffered greatly. I hope she goes well along the story and I hope that I might find the time to read this because this seems excellent. Thank you for the review!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”