Review of Love french Canadian style

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Love french Canadian style

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love french Canadian style" by Rhonda Jackson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On April 29, 2011, London was abuzz with the excitement of the wedding procession of Prince William and Kate Middleton. While the crowd jostled for the best photos, Francesca Dijon found herself on the wrong side of the security gate and directly in the line of sight of one of the royal guards. The handsome but arrogant James Marlton quickly gives the fiery redheaded woman a citation, which sends them down a path that neither one expected. Is their spontaneous relationship meant to last, or will Francesca find that her heart desires the famous hockey player, Alex De Gaulle, who also has his sights on the fabulous French Canadian woman? Read Love French Canadian Style to find out!

Rhonda Jackson quickly takes her readers on a whirlwind romantic adventure in this 36-page short story. I loved this author’s ability to bring out the vivid personalities in her characters. Francesca was a strong and confident woman, James was roguish and charming, and the well-connected Alex was highly motivated and very determined. Unfortunately, while quick and entertaining, this book suffered from a lack of editing and an abrupt ending.

The story started well with the potential to be an excellent novella, but I didn’t like how outlandish it became by the end. The author built up the tension with a tumultuous decision for Francesca: choose the well-built James Marlton or the up-and-coming hockey star Alex De Gaulle. Regrettably, the rivalry between the men escalated to a dramatic event that I had a hard time believing would happen in reality. It was too shocking for the limited amount of time spent developing the situation. The characters returned to their regular routines too quickly, as if nothing drastic had just happened.

I also felt that the final chapters lacked development. The author presented what could have been an excellent family drama full of suspense and mystery. This trial would have brought Francesca closer to her chosen beau or challenged the strength of their delicate relationship. Instead, it turned into another sequence of events that escalated quickly, was resolved abruptly, and left me unsatisfied with the conclusion.

Editing was another issue I noticed throughout the narrative. I believe that additional revisions would improve the novella’s plot considerably and reduce the number of proofreading errors. The author had so many fantastic elements outlined in her story, and I wished I could have seen them adequately fleshed out and developed. In its current state, I can only give Love French Canadian Style two out of four stars. With further editing and research to develop the concepts, this book would be a satisfying read.

Love French Canadian Style would be a decent read if you enjoy stories involving celebrity events and family drama. Occasionally woven into the dialog, the French phrases included by the author may also be a treat for those who love learning and speaking French. The sexual content came across as more crude than sensual but could be considered mildly erotic.

Love french Canadian style
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”