Review of The Crossing

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Review of The Crossing

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Crossing" by Ashby Jones.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Crossing is an engaging novel that talks about love and patriotism. After finishing the book, I found out that it was a sequel to The Angel's Lamp. Still, it works as a standalone because the author makes a thorough description of the main past events. However, if you read the books in the correct order, you might get a better understanding of the characters.

Johnny is running from Ireland, where he is considered a traitor. He barely makes it to America after escaping death. The protagonist finds shelter in New York, in the famous Hell’s Kitchen. The action of the book takes place during Prohibition, when the bars are thriving and the immigrants are forced to choose dangerous jobs. Johnny gets into the middle of another fight, and this time it’s a whiskey war between the two factions that control the streets: the Angels and the Gophers, sponsored by the Italian mafia.

Our hero meets Esme, an Irish singer who also escaped her home country after being crippled by the Tans (a unit supported by the British Army responsible for many brutal attacks on the Irish people). The lass has a charming voice and a kind heart; she is the only hope for poor souls like Dillon. Esme teaches children with physical disabilities or other trauma to express themselves and find peace using music. Dillon is a boy that lost his legs due to cruel and unfortunate circumstances. His sad story will be the catalyst that will bring people together, allowing them to heal some deep wounds. In the end, Johnny is torn between his attraction for Esme, a strange yet mesmerizing woman, and his love for Nora, his former fiance whom he betrayed. Who will he choose?

The book is educative about life in Ireland in the middle of the Irish War of Independence and America during Prohibition. The author shared some sad lessons: bad persons will always find reasons to be cruel and hide behind a war. Also, the discrimination and the random hate against black people are hard to understand. However, the novel creates a powerful contrast by presenting the good deeds that people also do. Like Esme, who heals the bodies and the souls of the most unfortunate individuals. Her mission is “to show others how to cradle the gift of love.” The Crossing is a story about angry men seeking revenge and how they discovered instead that kindness can ease the pain.

Ashby Jones created some strong and inspirational characters, starting with the little Dillon, who is “made of music.” At the same time, Esme is not the woman everyone thinks she is because she hides a dark secret. I learned bad people can do good things, while kind persons can hide some ugly truths. In conclusion, we are just humans, with good and bad parts.

I had only some minor dislikes. First, the main characters are heavy drinkers. I understand that drinking is an Irish habit and they are struggling to forget some bad memories; nevertheless, that can be an emotional trigger for some readers. Also, I felt that Johnny’s memories were introduced in a forced way in the plot. However, I didn’t feel the need to lower the rating.

Therefore, The Crossing by Ashby Jones gets a rating of four out of four stars. It is an excellent book that talks about kindness and people coming together to help because “hatred is overwhelmed by humanity’s love for humanity.” You will feel the power of a pure “I love you!” spoken by a child.

Fans of the Irish culture will love this book. The Irishmen are intense, mystical, religious, and fond of strong drinks and music. Also, I recommend the book to people who love music and understand its unique power. Christianity and faith in God are mentioned a lot in the book, so be aware of this aspect. Finally, if you are looking for a good love story, you must add this book to your reading list.

The Crossing
View: on Bookshelves
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

waw an excellent review, it portrayed the essence of the book and made me want to read it, great job
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

Love and patriotism are two delicate topics. A book that explores both topics will surely be a great read. Well done on your review.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

This seems like an interesting read. I might just read it. Great summary.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

AfraBrb wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 01:38 waw an excellent review, it portrayed the essence of the book and made me want to read it, great job
Thank you so much for your kind feedback, my friend!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Kingsley Emodi wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 02:01 Love and patriotism are two delicate topics. A book that explores both topics will surely be a great read. Well done on your review.
Indeed, sometimes they blend and create something else :). Thank you for your feedback!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

63tty wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 02:03 This seems like an interesting read. I might just read it. Great summary.
I think you will enjoy it! Thanks for visiting.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Patriotism is loyalty. Between Nora and Esme, I wonder who Jonny would choose though . This is a wonderful review. I’m getting a copy right away!
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

I would love to read more about Irish characters, great review🍀
:tiphat:
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Edit_or wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 08:32 Patriotism is loyalty. Between Nora and Esme, I wonder who Jonny would choose though . This is a wonderful review. I’m getting a copy right away!
Happy reading, then! Thank you very much.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Humera955 wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 09:16 I would love to read more about Irish characters, great review🍀
You should have a strong drink nearby :)
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. It seems this book has some intriguing characters like Esme or Dillon who will convey some meaningful lessons to the readers.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

What a complex and interesting story! It seems to have a perfect combination of hard realities about history and humanity and the beauty of music and love. Thank you for your excellent review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I love that it can stand on its own. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Sou Hi wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 22:25 Thanks for your interesting review. It seems this book has some intriguing characters like Esme or Dillon who will convey some meaningful lessons to the readers.
They are indeed very interesting and relatable. Thank you for stopping by!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”