Review of Wings of the Monarch

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Review of Wings of the Monarch

Post by Rachael S 1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wings of the Monarch" by Etana Jane.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wings of the Monarch by Etana Jane is an erotic novel following Abigail Blackburn's entrance into the BDSM world.

Abigail ("Abby") is a traveling nurse with no connections tying her down. She loves that her job requires her to relocate every few months to a new town and new hospital. On the eve of starting her new job in Clearwater, Florida, she is attacked by a woman as she enters her hotel room. Abby's assailant grabs her from behind, holds a knife to her throat, and rapes her. The twist? When the assailant leaves, she gives Abby a choice – she can leave, or choose to be hers.

Abby chooses not to report the crime and begins her new job in the ER. She quickly becomes friends with another nurse, Jasmine. After a few drinks, Jasmine explains to Abby how she is into the BDSM lifestyle and is characterized as a "submissive." Realizing Abby is intrigued, Jasmine invites Abby out to the club to meet her Dominant and observe the BDSM state of play. Unknown to Abby, her assailant is a powerful Dominant who will stop at nothing to claim Abby as her own.

I enjoyed the storyline. It was a basic entrance into the BDSM lifestyle. The author is very invested in this way of life as she appeared to enjoy writing this story. The characters were very well developed and Abby's entrance into the BDSM world is slow and steady. Further, the ending was a perfect tie-in to the beginning of the storyline.

The author also did a very good job adding a lot of details, especially surrounding the dominant/submissive experiences. The reader should be warned that the author goes into a lot of depth with the explicit details involving the sexual experiences.

This story is for adults only. There are a lot of heavily explicit scenes, including the rape scene the story begins with. This book is not suitable for children and will only be enjoyed by those who enjoy erotica as that is the basis for the entire story.

I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I had difficulties getting through the spacing and punctuation errors. Almost every other page ended halfway through the page. This was likely due to the extreme length of some of the paragraphs. Another issue was how conversations would begin in the middle of lengthy paragraphs and the author would rarely identify who was talking. The reader is required to use the context of the speaker to identify who is talking. The spacing, length of paragraphs, and unidentifiable conversations made the book a little difficult to read. This book was not professionally edited.

Wings of the Monarch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I can see how it would be frustrating when one can't ascertain the identity of a speaker. Thanks for an insightful review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

The plot of this novel sounds very entertaining! I would like to follow Abby's journey and learn what happens to her. Too bad this novel contains so many errors. Thank you for your honest review! :)
Kanika Tandon
Currently Reading: Of winners and losers
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanika-tandon.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Kanika Tandon »

I enjoy reading BDSM books but would prefer if they have less grammatical errors. Based on that, I would skip it. Based on storyline, I would read it. And here lies the dichotomy. Your review in nice and concise.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”