Review of Bagels & Salsa

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Review of Bagels & Salsa

Post by markodim721 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bagels & Salsa" by Lara Reznik.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book with the inspiring title Bagels & Salsa by Lara Resnick offers readers an extraordinary love story between Laila and Eduardo. A Hispanic doctor from rural New Mexico will find himself in the arms of a sociologist of Jewish origin from New York. Will the differences between them be too much of a challenge? Are cultural differences in this case rejected or attracted? How will their families react? Will love win in the end?

The author Lara Resnick leads the readers to the 70s in a very convincing way. In addition to the main characters Laila and Eduardo, the plot of the book is completed by their family, friends, and former lovers. With an incredible sense of description, the author manages to create very convincing life scenes in front of the eyes of readers. Knowledge of human psychology has enabled the design of dialogues that further contribute to the quality of the book. Occasionally the narrative perspective shifts to some of the supporting characters. Looking at things from a different angle contributes to creating a sense of objectivity.

What I really liked about Bagels & Salsa is its multi-layered nature as well as the messages that the book carries. If you look only at the surface, the book can be classified as a romance. However, below the surface, the book can also be seen as a literary work that promotes tolerance and diversity. The book can also be seen as a travelogue. I like that the book emphasizes the importance of education and family values, but also points to the problem of teen pregnancies. The main quality of the book is represented by fantastic characters. Regardless of their importance to the plot of the book, all the characters are designed to look very authentic. The author put together in a very convincing way the psychological profile of each character, their habits, and lifestyle. One of the parts of the book that I truly enjoyed are the well-written dialogues. In addition to being in the right places, the author often included whole sentences in Spanish as well as Jewish slang, which further contributes to the authenticity of the conversation. The nonchalant unpredictability of the plot will keep readers interested until the very end of the book. The book is professionally edited and I have not found any typos or errors.

While reading the book, I did not find any major objections. What I would have a minor objection to is the occasional return of the narrative to the past, which is usually justified by the need to clarify something further, but it can confuse readers.

I rate the book Bagels & Salsa with great pleasure with four out of four stars. Fantastically designed characters with ideally written dialogues and an exceptional multi-layered plot with frequent changes in the perspective of the narration are the main qualities of the book.

I recommend the book to lovers of romance, fans of the cultural values that New York and rural New Mexico represent. I believe that Bagels & Salsa will be the right choice for fans of multiculturalism, but also for fans of the remarkable world of the 70s.

Bagels & Salsa
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I'm always eager to learn about other cultures and I believe I'm willing to give this one a shot. Thankyou for such a nice review!
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

This sounds like a great read. I would love to see how Laila and Eduardo handle the obstacles their love faces. Thanks for the informative review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Paluk Pathania wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 12:11 I'm always eager to learn about other cultures and I believe I'm willing to give this one a shot. Thankyou for such a nice review!
The book describes different cultures and their coexistence in a very striking way. Thanks for the comment.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Tarie07 wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 06:41 This sounds like a great read. I would love to see how Laila and Eduardo handle the obstacles their love faces. Thanks for the informative review.
I am glad that my review stimulated interest in the book. Thanks for stopping by.
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

I enjoy period books and this looks like the perfect one for me. Thank you for your amazing review.
Amanda I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-i.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by Amanda I »

The book discusses themes which are of particular interest to me, I would love to read it. Thanks for the review.
Kanika Tandon
Currently Reading: Of winners and losers
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanika-tandon.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Kanika Tandon »

I enjoy reading books that explores different cultures. I find them quite fascinating and knowledgeable. This book seems to be interesting. you review summarizes the book well, it seems.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Nonso Ok wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 13:06 I enjoy period books and this looks like the perfect one for me. Thank you for your amazing review.
I'm glad my review interested you in the book.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Amanda I wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 17:26 The book discusses themes which are of particular interest to me, I would love to read it. Thanks for the review.
The book is worth both time and money. Thanks for the comment.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Kanika Tandon wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 01:57 I enjoy reading books that explores different cultures. I find them quite fascinating and knowledgeable. This book seems to be interesting. you review summarizes the book well, it seems.
In that case, I highly recommend the book. It is really very interesting and well written.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I have always loved reading about cultural diversity and from the review, I think this would be a good read for me
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Elendu Ekechukwu wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 00:59 I have always loved reading about cultural diversity and from the review, I think this would be a good read for me
I think you will like the book then because it is very pleasant and easy to read. Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

By reading your review, I remember something I read before, and along the lines, it said, "in order for a relationship to survive, you must accept the differences and rejoice at the similarities" and I think that this applies on this book since it's based on different cultures. I love the title, too! It's very lovely. Thanks for the review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Hyacinth Bella wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 00:33 By reading your review, I remember something I read before, and along the lines, it said, "in order for a relationship to survive, you must accept the differences and rejoice at the similarities" and I think that this applies on this book since it's based on different cultures. I love the title, too! It's very lovely. Thanks for the review!
The book is very well written and pleasant to read. I think there are grounds for a very successful film based on the book. Thanks for the comment.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”