Review of The Wedding Toaster

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Review of The Wedding Toaster

Post by evraealtana »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Wedding Toaster" by Emily Rotondi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Twenty-eight-year-old Maggie McDonald never attends weddings. They remind her too much of her own wedding day, when restlessness and fear made her walk out on her fiancé, leaving him at the altar and shattering his heart.

Three years later, a strange turn of events at Maggie’s best friend’s wedding forces Maggie to give the wedding toast, which goes surprisingly well. Afterward, another guest approaches her and asks her to give the toast at his upcoming wedding. She objects at first, but he is willing to pay handsomely, so she reluctantly agrees. At his wedding, she is booked for another, and then another.

And so “the wedding toaster” is born. More and more couples book Maggie’s services, and before she knows it, requests are coming in so fast that she can barely keep up. But everything changes when she is booked to toast the wedding of a couple that turns out to be her ex-fiancé and his new bride-to-be. Now face to face with the man she abandoned, Maggie is suddenly confronted by feelings for him that haven’t waned despite their years apart, just in time to toast him as he marries someone else. How can she right the wrongs from her past? Is there any way she can hold onto the only man who has ever had her heart?

The Wedding Toaster, written by Emily Rotondi, is a light romance novel about a young woman with a hardened, jaded heart who learns to look at love in new ways. I don’t often read romance novels, but I was drawn to this one by Maggie’s cynical wit and by the amusing circumstances that shaped her career. I loved following Maggie’s adventures and particularly enjoyed the comedic situations in which she often found herself. The ending was abundantly satisfying and tied the whole story together beautifully, for which I commend the author.

With a conversational writing style and fewer than 200 pages, the book is a quick, easy read. Despite this, it is a book best left to adult or older teenage readers because it contains many instances of profanity and several blunt discussions of sex. Although the book centers on weddings, only the secular portions such as flowers, dancing, and the exchanging of rings are mentioned in the book, so readers of all religions can enjoy the story equally. As you might expect, there is no violent content anywhere in the book.

I was saddened to see a moderate number of grammatical errors in the text, forcing the score down by one star. I also noticed the narrative tense shifting from the present to the past and back again for no apparent reason, sometimes multiple times within a paragraph. All these issues could be corrected by the ministrations of a professional editor.

The Wedding Toaster earns a score of 3 out of 4 for its lighthearted portrayal of the blossoming of a young woman who had almost given up on love. It loses one star for the errors in the text. It would most appeal to lovers of romantic comedy looking for a quick, uplifting read.

The Wedding Toaster
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Brett Linette »

Just when it seems that fate has reunited Maggie McDonald with her ex-fiancé, he's with somebody else? They're obviously going to get back together. The question is how.

Thank you for the review!
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Wow. An intriguing title indeed about a wedding toaster that must confront her past. Great review here.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

waw sounds like an exciting romance book, your review is exquisite
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

Seems like an easy to read book. Thank you for this amazing review.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

This looks very interesting. It's also one of my favourite genres so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

This seems like an interesting story and can be adopted as a movie too if directed well. Maggie's story is quite predictable yet exciting. Thanks for the review.
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

Maggie's story is quite fascinating.
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

Maggie's story is quite fascinating.
Katso Puku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Katso Puku »

The story sounds awesome and the fact that its less than 200 pages means one can finish it easily. Great review, made me want to read it immediately.
Stephen Ikimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-ikimi.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Stephen Ikimi »

Wow,the title and the cover pages of this book are just catchy as the written content itself. I like how you write your review....it's detailed and honest. Thank you
Nagma Bardoi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Nagma Bardoi »

I was immediately intrigued by the title! This sounds like it’ll be a quick, light second chance romance. I’m definitely interested in seeing how things play out for our MC.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The plot of the book is entirely captivating. Maggie has a lot of things to correct in her life and I hope she did correct them. Good review.
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

Interesting.
Thanks for the review :tiphat:
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?
Ekanem Onyinye Uduak-Abasi
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekanem-onyinye-uduak-abasi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ekanem Onyinye Uduak-Abasi »

As an avid romance reader, I am intrigued. How does Maggie and her Ex fiancé reunite? Do they work out their issues?

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”