Review of Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Review of Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story" by Mark Zullo.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story by Mark Zullo is a romance/erotica novel that revolves around Jesse and his journey through finding true love. From a young age, Jesse could sense that there was something different about himself. While other boys fantasized about the girls they liked, he found himself more interested in boys. This would come with a lot of bullying that he suffered at the hands of his schoolmates, hence causing the development of feelings of loneliness and other issues that would be worsened by his first love and closest friend leaving him by relocating. His journey through this story then portrays the pursuit of happiness while we are walked through his relationships and adventures. Can Jesse find his heart's desire despite his excesses?

Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story is told in the first-person perspective, as Jesse is in the driving seat of his story, fully immersing us in his experiences. His story is not told in chronological order, as he jumps forward and backward in time at will with each chapter, and while including the year each part of the story occurred helped me follow the story, this presents my first criticism of the book. I have to say that I found it a bit tedious piecing the events together, even though I found the mystery of getting to know more about Jesse's life intriguing.

My favorite part of the book would be the complexity of Jesse's character. His story highlights social issues that a lot of people experience for being different in real life, and the author does well to detail how these experiences affect him. As a result of his past and the abandonment he suffered in several relationships, Jesse developed a need to be wanted. He also became somewhat of a hypocrite, as he often got jealous and expected loyalty from his partners that he couldn't offer in return. I definitely disliked his personality at first, but as the story went on, I got to understand why he was the way he was.

Nevertheless, there is not much to know about most of his lovers in the story. One that particularly intrigued me was his relationship with his first love, Dani, who taught him how to defend himself against bullies when they were both adolescents. Watching Jesse discover more about his sexuality and the development of his feelings for Dani was fascinating. However, Jesse's other relationships didn't particularly tickle my fancy, as they lacked depth and seemed to be all about sex. Initially, I enjoyed the sex scenes, especially with the amount of detail the author employs in describing every action and emotion. Nonetheless, it started to get tiring when I knew that every new guy Jesse talked about would end up in his bed, and there were too many guys to keep track of. Even the descriptions whenever Jesse met a new guy revolved heavily around his physical features, and I found this to be shallow.

I have to applaud the work done in editing this book. I did not find any errors while reading, which indicated that Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story is a flawlessly edited book. Considering the issues I discussed, I rate this novel two out of four stars. I enjoyed the underlying theme of finding love, Jesse's love for music, and following his growth, but there could have been much more focus on these elements to add more depth to the story. Mature readers who enjoy romance novels containing a lot of graphic sex scenes will enjoy this book.

Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

Thus seems like an interesting book. I haven't read stories about bisexual love yet so this will add a different genre to my bookshelf. Thanks for the honest review.
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

Very informative book. I love the way it talks about people of an entirely different sexuality. I really like the main character.
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

Very informative book. I love the way it talks about people of an entirely different sexuality. I really like the main character.
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

I appreciate your honest review. I prefer a book about relationships, not only sex. It is hard to be critical and fair.
Stephen Ikimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-ikimi.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Stephen Ikimi »

As a great fan of romance movies and now romance novels,I like this book. I love to learn about the experience of people in their journey in seeking true love and gain valuable lessons from them. That's a thorough review. Bravo!
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

Thank you for a great review but I'll have to pass on this one. For a romantic book, I'd expect more depth in the romance between two people who found each other.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The journey to finding true love is never easy. I would love to read the book so as to know what happened in the end. Thanks for your review.
Liberty356
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liberty356.html
Latest Review: Faults by Orion Gregory

Post by Liberty356 »

Really, I don't think I love this book, I would have, but I don't like gay stuff. But I love the review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”