When Can You Forgive the Protagonist for Cheating?

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashna Tibrewal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Re: When Can You Forgive the Protagonist for Cheating?

Post by Ashna Tibrewal »

I think when the protagonist is willing to move heaven and hell and proves that I think then it's okay to forgive.
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

I don't think cheating is acceptable under any circumstance. Obviously there are exceptions when the person is in an abusive relationship they can't get out of or when the other person in the relationship is really depriving them in the relationship. I can't say that I'd ever pick up a book knowing that it is about cheating.
Adekeye Hassan musab
Currently Reading: My Other Half
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adekeye-hassan-musab.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Adekeye Hassan musab »

I can never ever forgive a character for cheating, as in even the word infidelity creeps out. When I was reading " verity" by coolen hoover I almost left it off, if not for the fact that I always finish every book I read. Although, the cases of the mc there was almost appealable, but it is still cheating no matter the way it was written.
Gracy Patel
Favorite Book: Deviant King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 2%

Post by Gracy Patel »

I would turn a blind eye to anything. Killing people for a living- Yeah sure I don't mind. Mental trauma- no worries I'll help you heal from it. Anger issues- ok nvm. Everything is fine but cheating nuh-uh I draw a line there. It was never ok and will never be. Coming from a person who got cheated on, I hate that shallow feeling, and idk maybe it should be illegal lol. I simply don't care that it's just a fictional world....cheating is still cheating.
Mari Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-thompson.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Mari Thompson »

I think the protagonist would genuinely have to forgive himself or herself for cheating somewhere in the storyline. Then, maybe, I would be able to forgive him or her.
Priya Mathew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-mathew.html
Latest Review: The Hotel Detective and his Lover by Derek Picot

Post by Priya Mathew »

While I may not personally endorse the idea of a protagonist cheating in a romance novel, I believe it's essential to consider the author's intentions and the potential narrative purpose behind such a twist. Authors often use unconventional plot elements to explore complex aspects of human relationships. In this case, the cheating might serve as a narrative device to delve into the intricacies of personal growth, the challenges within relationships, or the exploration of flawed characters.

However, it's important to draw a clear distinction between fictional narratives and real-life situations. In reality, I might not be as lenient when it comes to accepting infidelity, as the consequences are far-reaching and can have a profound impact on individuals and relationships.

In essence, while I may not agree with the author's choice to incorporate cheating into the storyline, I acknowledge that there could be a deliberate attempt to provoke thought and discussion, like we are doing right now! :)
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." - Charles W. Eliot
Ambar Gill
Currently Reading: Finale
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambar-gill.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 42%

Post by Ambar Gill »

I avoid books about cheating at all costs! It ruins the book for me. I can't justify cheating in real life and definitely not in my romance books where I'm thinking true love lives. So no, I can't forgive the protagonist and I would probably put the book down and not finish it. Such a shame
Ambar Gill :angelic-flying:

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”