Review of The envy of them all

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of The envy of them all

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The envy of them all" by Ariginal Latrice.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Envy gets suspended from school again. The administration has a zero-tolerance policy on drugs. After being chastised by her parents, Envy’s stubbornness reaches a boiling point; she can’t wait to have her own life. So what if Envy wants to party and have fun? She falls asleep with that thought in her mind.

After graduating from law school, Envy has all her ducks lined up in a row: a successful job, financial independence, and no emotional attachments. But, will that be enough for her? Envy works long hours and gets the toughest cases; everyone expects that she’ll be named the youngest partner in the firm. As hard as she works, Envy Michelle plays harder, numbing herself with alcohol and hookups. Eventually, her risky lifestyle catches up to her. It’s time for her to re-evaluate her actions, or she might lose everything.

Ariginal Latrice’s The Envy of Them All is a short contemporary romance infused with erotic moments. But, this story isn’t limited to the physical aspects of love—there's lots of spare change.

The message becomes obvious when Envy continuously makes the most damaging decisions. I was distraught by her high-adrenaline behavior. Largely speaking, the narrative struck me as a modeling of a healthy versus an unhealthy relationship (or lifestyle). Latrice did a remarkable job, and I found her cautionary notes to be the most positive aspect.

The themes focused on friendship, self-reflection—another plus for me—and second chances. There was even a brief explanation on how to practice mindfulness (unusual but practical). The book also touches on teen angst. Latrice was able to bring out Envy's insecurities as an anguished teenager; I empathized with her, yet I understood her parents’ worries. In addition, the author throws a “social issue” hook at the readers; Envy is a lawyer trying to decriminalize marijuana in the state of Virginia.

The 102-page plot was straightforward and flawless. The events transitioned smoothly like skipping stones—without too many bumps. Of course, the brevity came with a downside; I could easily anticipate the ending. Unfortunately, the book’s predictability was a major negative point. It started off rocky, and then the excitement evened out. I expected more drama with a character named “Envy”. But not to be completely stamped out, the romantic scenes were electric.

As a result, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I docked a star because the story lacked the tension I was seeking. The writing style was effective, so a lower rating would be unfair. Also, the book was professionally edited.

If you’re searching for a quick romance with a concise plot, I’ll recommend this book. It may appeal to those interested in an empowered female character. However, I don’t recommend it to readers expecting a jealousy-filled drama. The sexual content makes it unsuitable for a teenage audience.

The envy of them all
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

Envy's story is pretty common in my opinion but I like characters like these so maybe I'll give this a try. Thanks for the good work.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seem like Envy is not a very likable character. I hope she finds the right way in the end. I loved reading your review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Envy seems to be doing well on the outside but battling internally. What was causing her such turmoil for her to be numbing herself with alcohol and hookups? I hope she got the help she needed. Awesome review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Kibabcock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibabcock.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam

Post by Kibabcock »

The review left me curious to read why Envy was living the lifestyle she was. Did something tragic happen to her or is she doing it for attention? I will be reading this, even though it is not my normal type of book to read, to find out if there is a reason for her choices. Great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The cover of the book itself is so inspiring that it awakens in me a desire to read it. When I add a great review to it, this book is an exceptional reading recommendation.
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

The title of the book really caught my attention and I'm glad it is not what I was expecting. I just feel that the character is battling a lot within her and I hope the ending is satisfying even though it can be anticipated. Great review.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

The cover of this novel is stunning. I'm also attracted by its name. Ill have to follow Envy and see for myself what happens. Wonderful review!
Chelsea Kamsi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Chelsea Kamsi »

Envy as a teenager or a child you don't have to rush live this story is nice i live it it teaches lessons you don't have to rush anything when it reaches your time you will grow with it and see to it all Envy is not so nice actually I love the story,the name and it teaches lesson most importantly congrats
Rebi
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Rebi »

Envy seems to be doing well on the outside but battling internally. What was causing her such turmoil for her to be numbing herself with alcohol and hookups? I hope she got the help she needed. Awesome review!
Ipshita3003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipshita3003.html
Latest Review: Faults by Orion Gregory

Post by Ipshita3003 »

Both the cover of the book and your review is so great that it makes me want to read it. It seems Envy might not be a very likable character after all, but I'll surely give it a try.
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Brett Linette »

We all lose our way from time to time. I just hope Envy finds herself in the end.
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

Great review! Alcohol and drugs can only numb you for so long. I hope it's not too late for Envy to change her ways.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Tarie07 wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 07:12 Great review! Alcohol and drugs can only numb you for so long. I hope it's not too late for Envy to change her ways.
I agree! Thanks for the comment!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Brett Linette wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 14:11 We all lose our way from time to time. I just hope Envy finds herself in the end.
Well said. She might just need some time for her insight to grow.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”