Review of Sham & Shel Book 2

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Review of Sham & Shel Book 2

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sham & Shel Book 2" by Weldon L. Haywood.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sham & Shel Book 2 by Weldon L. Haywood is a romantic western. Sham successfully gets the wagon train to Lund Port, where he owns 52,500 acres of land valued at $213,750, which the United States Army had granted him as payment for his five years of service. Shel and Sham agree to keep their love for each other a secret until the predominantly white residents get to know them. Even though their relationship is secret, they receive a lot of stares when they dine together because she is white and he is black. Shel’s father, Albert, opens a new merchant store, and he wants to become established before they get married. Will the residents of this town approve of Shel and Sham’s love? How will the white residents react to a black man being wealthier and owning more land than them?

Weldon L. Haywood’s character development in this novel allowed me to visualize and understand the characters. Their emotions included anger, jealousy, love, and frustration. I liked how Shel and Sham continuously worked as a team regardless of their situation. Teamwork was the essence of their relationship. Many readers will appreciate that the author created Shel’s character as a strong woman who stood up for her beliefs. The one central aspect that I brought away from this book was the importance of ignoring matters that are not important and focusing on the ones that are. The smooth-flowing and fast-paced plot is full of intrigue, mystery, and suspense that kept me turning the pages. I did not feel like anything was missing with this being the second book in the series because events in the first book are mentioned.

The editing was the only aspect of the book I disliked. There are many different styles of using quotation marks, but the ones in this book are not consistent. This inconsistency resulted in a lot of errors that the author could have avoided. Along with this, there are multiple uses of the wrong word (bought instead of brought) and wrong verb tenses (do instead of does, have instead of has, you instead of yours). These are only a few examples that show that a professional editor has not edited this book; there are many others.

Although there are negative aspects, this book deserves 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give it four stars because of the number of errors, and I did not give the book two stars because the errors did not distract from my reading pleasure. I enjoyed this book immensely and will read the next book in the series despite the mistakes.

Mature readers who enjoy romantic westerns are the audience I recommend this book to. Although it is minimal, there are instances of descriptive sexual scenes, and there is non-borderline profanity towards the end of the book. The religious content is minimal and will probably not be offensive to most readers.

Sham & Shel Book 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
kittykat6132
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittykat6132.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by kittykat6132 »

What a lovely review. I love romance novels, I'll add this one to my library.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The character development of the book is quite intriguing. I would love to read the book. Good review.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

It's been so long since i read a good romance novel and this one seems to be the one! The book seems like a perfect blend of all emotions, can't wait to read it myself. Great review!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”