Review of Asylum

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Review of Asylum

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Asylum" by Susy Smith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After the most devastating stock market crash in history, numerous terrified U.S. citizens began looting and destroying property. Consequently, the president declared martial law and began rounding up people and forcing them into labor camps to try to improve the economy. Texas and California seceded from the union. Thomas Monroe, the senator of Texas, owned a farm in Oklahoma, on the Texas border. Oklahoma retained no jurisdiction over that property because it was in a Texas land trust. However, Thomas needed someone to stay on the farm to keep the property in the family. His brother (who did not get along with Thomas) and his family lived close by, but they decided to move to California, except for nineteen-year-old Lacy. She agreed to stay at the farm until her uncle arrived.

While living on the property alone, Lacy was raped and threatened with death if she didn’t abandon the farm. Subsequently, she was no longer the young, trusting girl she was before her assault. After temporarily going back to her parent’s home, Lacy ran into a former boyfriend, Travis. His parents had been shot trying to cross the border into Texas. She offered to let him stay at the farm in exchange for his protection. Several other people on the run were also offered asylum. When Jace, Lacy’s brother’s lifelong friend, showed up, she found it difficult to be around him because of her new fear of men. However, Jace has secretly loved her for a long time and will not give up easily. Will this little band of people be able to survive in spite of frequent visits from the military police (who seem intent on making their lives miserable), winter approaching, and the possibility that someone amongst them is trying to sabotage their efforts?

Asylum by Susy Smith is a 320-page book listed in the romance genre, but it has lots of action and intrigue as well. Early on, the tale jumps straight into the suspense with the chilling account of Lacy’s rape. From there, the intriguing story continues with romantic twists as well as thrilling action, making it difficult to put down. The novel is narrated from the third-person point of view, mostly from Lacy and Jace’s perspectives. Some of the questions are resolved by the end of the book but not all are. Therefore, I think there is likely a sequel in the works.

The characters are superbly developed. Lacy’s loss of innocence and the almost incapacitating fear she currently faces are easily sensed by the reader. Her stubbornness and temper are also on display. Her sympathy towards others, in spite of her own struggles, makes her someone to admire. Travis and Jace’s feelings for Lacy and their antagonism towards each other are also easy to recognize. They are both brave, protective, and hardworking; both are believable and likable.

The author’s writing was descriptive and usually easy to follow. However, I had to reread a few paragraphs to figure out who the subject was. This usually followed a section dealing with two women or two men. Then, the following paragraph would start with “he” or “she,” without the name of the character. Subsequently, the reader must figure out which of the two preceding characters it is by the context. The name at the beginning of the paragraph would take care of the problem. I only noted this a few times early on in the book, so it was a minor issue and not worth the removal of a star.

Because I found nothing else to dislike, Asylum achieves a rating of four out of four stars. I believe readers who appreciate apocalyptic stories with romance would thoroughly enjoy this novel. Sensitive people need to be aware that profanities and violence are encountered in the book. Additionally, the rape scene might be triggering for anyone who has personally suffered from this terrible assault.

Asylum
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Luchris_klaus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-klaus.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Luchris_klaus »

From the review, the development of the character is an intriguing one. I would love to read the book. Thanks for your review.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

This sounds like a really great book to read. I like the mix of genres as it just adds an extra bit of spice to an already interesting love triangle. An enticing, thorough, and great review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Luchris_klaus wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 19:42 From the review, the development of the character is an intriguing one. I would love to read the book. Thanks for your review.
I hope you get a chance to read it. I think you would enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Fareed Regal wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 04:36 This sounds like a really great book to read. I like the mix of genres as it just adds an extra bit of spice to an already interesting love triangle. An enticing, thorough, and great review!
Thanks so much for the kind words. I hope you can give the book a try. I appreciate you reading my review!
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

What happened to Lacy is terrible. Ill have to give this book a read and find out more. Lovely review! :D
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

I can just feel the fear permeating the story. This seems to be an interesting piece. Thanks for a well-written review.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I would LOVE to read this book! It doesn't even feel like a proper romance to me: it has so many interesting elements. Thank you so much for your review!
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Detailed and interesting review!!
kittykat6132
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittykat6132.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by kittykat6132 »

Lacy seems like an extra ordinary character. I would love to read this book.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 09:28 What happened to Lacy is terrible. Ill have to give this book a read and find out more. Lovely review! :D
Thanks for reading my review. I think you will enjoy the book! :techie-studyinggray:
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kike17 wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 13:18 I can just feel the fear permeating the story. This seems to be an interesting piece. Thanks for a well-written review.
Thanks so much for your kind words. I hope you get a chance to read the story!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

marba wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 17:19 I would LOVE to read this book! It doesn't even feel like a proper romance to me: it has so many interesting elements. Thank you so much for your review!
There is definitely more going on than just the romance. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :tiphat:
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Intrigue and romance mixed in with history? Sign me up.

Great review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

ROSEYANN wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 23:30 Detailed and interesting review!!
Thank you for your kind words!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”