Review of Sip Lake

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Review of Sip Lake

Post by AntonelaMaria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sip Lake" by Joe Basara.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sip Lake by Joe Basara is a fiction novel set in Florida from May until September of 1977. The story is told from Owen Cloud’s point of view. We follow Owen as he moves to a small town and starts a new job as an orderly in the hospital. There, he encounters many engaging staff and patients. Owen develops friendships with his co-workers and tries to form romantic relationships, too. What are life lessons Owen learns along the way? How will he adapt to the new job? Will he find love? Those are some of the questions we get answered while going on this reading journey.

This book is slow-paced and oriented to mundane life moments. It is a very relatable story despite being set in the past. Owen faces things we all can understand, like struggling to find passion in work, dating, and adapting to new surroundings. I like the juxtaposition between his job and his hobby. Owen likes to write in his free time. I always find artistic lead characters fascinating and quirky. Because this is a character-driven story, a reader has to connect with characters to care about the storyline. I didn’t have any trouble accomplishing that. Moreover, I enjoyed the natural progression of Owen’s character and the flow of the story. The development of Owen’s relationships felt true to life and made this book captivating.

There are many side characters in this book. It was hard to remember their names. They have unique and often ridiculous names that didn’t help either. For example, we have Tina Gardenia, Sugar Cane, Marlin Monroe, Vera Peach, and Nikki Kissimmee, to list just a few. Furthermore, the author likes to use em dashes. I had to get used to it while encountering it, especially in dialogue. I didn’t mind it, as it is his style, but some readers might find it distracting. Nevertheless, I wouldn’t change anything about this book.

There wasn’t anything I disliked about this story. Even though the author’s writing style choices need time to get used to, I didn’t mind them. For all those previously mentioned reasons, I can’t rate this book with anything less than perfect 4 out of 4 stars. Nonetheless, I encountered some errors but not enough to lower my rating.

I loved the male perspective on relationships, as I rarely read romance books written by male authors. Even though this wasn’t a romance novel per se, it had a significant aspect of them in it. If you are a curious reader like me, I happily recommend this book. Otherwise, readers interested in fiction books will enjoy this story too. There are no explicit scenes. However, there is some profanity, so if that bothers you, be aware of it.

Sip Lake
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Ememreb11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ememreb11.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Ememreb11 »

The name of the book caught my interest and this review made me more interested. Will want to know more about Owen. A good review
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

Reading books with lots of names seems boring to me because I always find it hard to catch up. Thanks for the review
Nwadinso Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-michael.html
Latest Review: Mon Cheri by Spare Time Novels

Post by Nwadinso Michael »

From the review, Owen is an interesting character who is involved in a lot of things. I'd love to read so as to know if he was able to find love within the environment of the hospital. The character development of the book was quite nice, kudos to the author. Thanks for your review.
God is a Poet and he taught me how to hold my pen.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

Seems to be an interesting story. The review has nicely brought out the plot and flow of the book. Thanks.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Destiny Freedom
Favorite Book: The Most Unlikely Champion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-aaton.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Destiny Freedom »

From your review, this book tends to focus on the life of one character and how he connects to the others, I think I'll love this book. Thank you for this review.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

Fascinating title, good storyline, good review
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

This seems like quite an intriguing storyline. Would definitely love to add this to my shelf. Great review.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Ememreb11 wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 11:29 The name of the book caught my interest and this review made me more interested. Will want to know more about Owen. A good review
Thank you. I hope you give it a chance and enjoy it too.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Mbenma Esther 080 wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 12:57 Reading books with lots of names seems boring to me because I always find it hard to catch up. Thanks for the review
Thanks for reading!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nwadinso Michael wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 15:06 From the review, Owen is an interesting character who is involved in a lot of things. I'd love to read so as to know if he was able to find love within the environment of the hospital. The character development of the book was quite nice, kudos to the author. Thanks for your review.
I hope you enjoy this book too! :tiphat:
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

bhattuc wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 19:49 Seems to be an interesting story. The review has nicely brought out the plot and flow of the book. Thanks.
Thank you for your kind words.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Sally77motors wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 01:29 From your review, this book tends to focus on the life of one character and how he connects to the others, I think I'll love this book. Thank you for this review.
Yes, the book is focused on Owen's life. I hope you enjoy it too. Happy reading!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Amenrodion wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 04:41 Fascinating title, good storyline, good review
:tiphat:
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Walter R wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 21:32 This seems like quite an intriguing storyline. Would definitely love to add this to my shelf. Great review.
It is, and I hope you enjoy it too.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”