Review of It was Never a Choice

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of It was Never a Choice

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It was Never a Choice" by Lori Colwell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In It was Never a Choice: The Apperception by Lori Colwell, Gabriela Flair was thrust into a strange and secret life. Life was going well for eighteen-year-old Gabriela; she was excelling on the school's track team and her best friend since she was a child, Antonio Vargas, was always by her side. When Uncle Gabe, her father's older brother, moved in with them, things began to change for her; a new world opened up before her eyes, one that was filled with fear and danger. Even as Gabriela struggled to straighten up her romantic life that had all of a sudden become complicated and 'steamy,' she must also have to battle an evil that had been lurking since before she was born.

Lori's book had quite an exciting plot. The story was not unfamiliar, but the author added her authenticity to it. The author's language had a carefree, playful feel expected of a book with teenagers as part of its major characters. With this story, the author created double lives for some of her characters and maintained an exciting balance. The romance element was executed correctly. The book delivered chemistry, sexual tension, and the 'happily ever after' that marks romance stories. However, readers may have divergent opinions on the 'happily ever after' part.

The book had an air of intrigue and suspense, and as the author made one revelation after another, a web of excitement was created. At first, it felt like the book was just the usual story about a teenager and her life, but Lori soon uncovered a much larger and more complicated plot with many intriguing twists. Even by the end of the book, the author still left me with lingering questions that had obvious answers but weren't so clear at the same time. There was action and danger, with a thrilling urgency.

The dynamics between the characters were fun to read, especially between Gabriela and Antonio. The two characters' friendship could easily arouse a reader's desire and longing to experience something similar. However, this dynamics could very well be a turn-off for some readers who may believe that the two characters' friendship was unchecked and exceeded the bounds of decency that should have been enforced considering the age bracket of the characters.

The author created a strong lead character to drive her story. Gabriela's character combined many endearing features that would make her readers' favorite. One such attribute would be her confidence. She carried herself with pride and respect, extended that respect to others with kindness, and was fiercely loyal to her friends. We saw her wisdom that far exceeded her eighteen years of life. An example would be the advice she gave to one of her schoolmates, Christina, about what made her so attractive: "the way you get it that way is by first respecting yourself, then others, and being honest. It's that simple."

This book was a smooth blend of family, love, friendship, loyalty, and sacrifices. It was an excellent, entertaining book that would come in handy on a quiet day on the couch. Every part of this book was easy to love, and there was nothing to dislike. However, the book could benefit from another round of editing.

I'd recommend It was Never a Choice: The Apperception to readers who love romance stories blended with fantasy. All things considered, I'd rate it three out of four stars. I took away one star because of the number of errors.

It was Never a Choice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Reading_Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-jack.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Reading_Jack »

I like that it has an exciting plot and the themes that it mentioned. Thanks for the review.
Blessing Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-odii.html
Latest Review: The Proximity of Stars by Benedict Stuart

Post by Blessing Odii »

I think Gabriela would be a great fighter of circumstances around her. Nice job!
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I love reading books on family themes which this book addresses. Thanks for the review.
Rabary Niaina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Rabary Niaina »

The book who talk about story of family is interested for me because I like movie family stories and I think that it's a movie family without picture.
Rhodahams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhodahams.html
Latest Review: Prisoner Prodigal Pawn by Robert Sparkman

Post by Rhodahams »

I am a lover for romance novels and from your review, this one seems like an exceptional one. I enjoyed your review in and out and maybe when I am less occupied, I will check it out. Thank you!
Christine Gitiri
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Christine Gitiri »

I think the book is very. It gives moral value and education to young people through Gabriela. It teaches honesty,respect, determination and courage. It's atthe same time fulfilling the purpose of entertainment. I like the book 🤩
cutemami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cutemami.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by cutemami »

Gabriela’s story seems very intriguing and I am wondering how her life unfolded. I would love to read about it.
Francinah K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Francinah K »

I love romance books.i can't wait to read think and this book seems interesting 😊
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'm intrigued by the use of suspense in this read. I may give it a try. Awesome review.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

Seems like a book that'll keep me hooked. Well, I'll have to find out myself. Thanks for a great review!
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

Suspense filled romance stories get me all lit up. Great review. I'd love to read
Tim Toby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tim-toby.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Tim Toby »

By just reading this review I'm very excited
I can't wait to read this book
Matire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matire.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Matire »

I love books that give me heightened expectations, add in a bit of romance and I'm all for it. Impressive review!
Horlarmidey Harkinolah
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horlarmidey-harkinolah.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Horlarmidey Harkinolah »

I love the way this review is written. Clear and concise. It triggers my interest in reading the book. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”