Review of The Sweet Shrub Inn

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of The Sweet Shrub Inn

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sweet Shrub Inn" by Hilah Roscoe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For Cora Graham, the small town of Taloowa, Mississippi, was home. She had always considered it a place of love and comfort—at least until she first suffered the devastating loss of her mother, and then Jensen Mabry, the man she loved, rejected her. At age twenty-four, she has a successful career in Chicago, and life hasn’t handed her too many lemons—until she finds herself scorned again. After getting dumped by her boyfriend following a year-long relationship, she is alone and feels lost when she learns about her estranged father. Randolph has Alzheimer’s and needs her help in more ways than one. But how can she help the man who was never there for her as a child? And how can she return to the place that caused her significant pain, especially when her heart is already vulnerable, and Jensen Mabry is as likely to fill her heart and mind as ever?

Follow Cora’s whirlwind romance as she finds herself torn between her responsibilities in two cities in The Sweet Shrub Inn by Hilah Roscoe. Where to start with this book? I had so much fun reading this sweet, southern-charm-filled story, and there was nothing that I disliked. Cora was sassy and confident yet wholly turned to mush every time she talked to Jensen. I loved the adorable interactions between the wild-haired beauty and the undeniably charming southern gentleman. The author did a fantastic job creating chemistry between the two characters and building so much suspense into the plot surrounding their relationship. I constantly wondered when they would hook up and have their happily ever after.

I also loved the small-town community depicted throughout the novel. I find it hard to resist the sweet nostalgia of reading stories about people who know each other’s business and look out for their neighbors. I also adore exploring the simple beauty of places that remain undefiled by the high crime rates and unrest that generally describe the big-city areas. I appreciated the simple beauty of Taloowa and the atmosphere it created for the story. I’m a small-town girl who went to a “farm school” growing up, so I felt right at home in the rural town full of local restaurants and caring friends.

There was a theme of returning to childhood memories and finding home woven into the plot. I loved how much depth this added to the development of the relationship between Cora and her father. I also enjoyed watching Cora’s emotional progression and change in attitude towards the man she initially referred to as “Randolph” and loved the resolution the author brought to this portion of the book.

The Sweet Shrub Inn was impeccably edited, and I only noticed a few minor errors. The author packed the story with emotion, romantic suspense, heartfelt character growth, and emotional healing. I found no reason to give this book anything other than four out of four stars.

If you enjoy engaging stories that accurately depict the rollercoaster of life and its choices, I’d highly recommend giving this fantastic second-chance romance a try. There was occasional mild swearing, and the sexual content was moderately erotic with a focus on the characters’ emotions. This standalone novel was the author’s debut, and I look forward to reading more of her writing in the future!

The Sweet Shrub Inn
View: on Bookshelves
TheGayOne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegayone12.html
Latest Review: Tarja Titan by TC Marti

Post by TheGayOne12 »

This one sounds like exactly something I'd enjoy. Your review convinced me to give it a go. Good job!
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

Cora Graham is a literary representative of the many good people in the society, who are passing through tortuous pains from disappointments and exploitations. Such are always the fate of people with good heart. I am confident that those caught in this unfortunate reality will find solace from Cora's story.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: I'll Always Be With You by Violetta Armour

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

This seems like a relaxing and chill story about love, compassion, and healing. I would love to see how Corey navigates her way back to normalcy in her old town.
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

Cora went through a lot. Her detailed life showed her emergence of new dreams. Thanks for the review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I think I'll enjoy the conversation between characters in this book. Great review.
Destiny Freedom
Favorite Book: The Most Unlikely Champion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-aaton.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Destiny Freedom »

I don't see how chemistry exists between them since she was rejected by the man she loved. Great review.
Many books can inform you but there's only one that can transform you(The Holy Bible). Pls don't forget to drop a comment for this review. Thanks. :D :tiphat:
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

I'm sorry for what Cora went through, and I hope she found happiness in the end.
Keysman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Keysman »

Wow, I was looking for a new book to read while relaxing in the afternoons afterwork and the first review I picked appears to be a gem, specially made for this nostalgic small town soul. The wife and I love to spend time together after chaotic days at work, reading aloud and enjoying stories like these, may look simple, but they are filled with sentiment and what better to do this than with my best friend cozy in the couch. Thanks for the review, will be coming back after finishing it!
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

I find Cora's character really interesting. I do hope she finds the courage to pull through in life and make the best decisions for herself. Great review!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”