Review of Dear Monica

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Dear Monica

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dear Monica" by Samuel Davel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Love is blind” has always been a common phrase for decades. However, can love make someone stoop so low to want to commit suicide? What happened to self-control? What about employing baby steps to move on? In Dear Monica by Samuel Davel, Charlie’s love for his ex-lover, Monica, is beyond desperate!

The author composed this book through succinct letters. The narrator, Charlie, was once in love with a lady named Monica, who later left him. However, Charlie has never gotten over her. He sinks into depression and ends up seeing a therapist. The mother figure therapist encourages him to compose letters to Monica and assume she’d read them. Charlie recounts the memories he once had with her. As he does so, his hope of reuniting with Monica is unswerving. While at it, his drug addiction is somewhat problematic. What memories did Charlie and Monica create while together? Will he find the strength to move on? Can he overcome the addiction?

I liked that the book boasted of ingenuity. I could not help but wonder if the author wrote it from his personal experiences. It was hard to come up with specific names for clubs and restaurants. While at it, Samuel was particular about definite places, like that pizza joint in Italy and the trip to Montauk.

Charlie celebrates his third wedding anniversary with Monica twice. The author puzzled me. Was it an error, or was it pure repetition to make the book unnecessarily lengthy? Again, Charlie desired to heal and move on, yet he wanted to reunite with Monica. How ironic was that? That’s what I didn’t like.

In addition, some letters had titles so captivating that I couldn’t wait to read them, only to be disappointed. For instance, one is called “Unsolved Murders.” I figured it involved crime investigation, or Charlie and Monica had witnessed some killings. However, it turned out to be the latter’s favorite series. What a bummer! Altogether, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I encountered some dull scenes caused by redundancies and the speaker’s repetitions of previously said testimonials.

I came across a few errors. As such, Dear Monica is professionally edited. Often, people declare that love is a beautiful thing, but sometimes, breakups can knock you down terribly. Charlie is a true testimony of the latter. I recommend it to anyone willing to read a volume about depression, love, addiction, and introspection. Spoiler alert: the ending is a game changer!

Dear Monica
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

This should be a great read for people obsessed about others. Love is a beautiful thing. I enjoyed reading your review.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

Love is indeed a beautiful but it becomes harmful when it turns into an obsession. It spells trouble for the person that is obsessed and sometimes to the person that is loved as well.
Allan Kipngetich 2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Allan Kipngetich 2 »

An interesting review to read. I am thrilled and beguiled to rush to the book to find out for myself the facts.
arip richard

Post by arip richard »

Love is a beutifull thing at first but it always turn worst at the edge specially due to obsession and deep love where it leads for an individual to loose his or her IQ capacity through being idle
Fel love

Post by Fel love »

Love is a indeed a beautiful things for a person it can help you figure things out in life but when it ends and the person you lean on or love is gone it can bring you to a depressed state in life.
Matire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matire.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Matire »

Wow, I feel eager to read this book just from this captivating review I just read. Well, Love can equally be as lethal as it is beautiful and I think that's what makes it love. Great review!
Alicia Uddin
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Alicia Uddin »

Wow Dear Monica, is an eyecatcher
Indeed love is a beautiful thing
This was such an interesting review and after reading it one would look forward to reading the whole book, it's full of literature the irony, the suspense it's all great

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”